Thread: So what makes a MOTM winner?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So what makes a MOTM winner?

The MOTM contest has been running for a number of years and sometimes the winners surprise me, sometimes they don't. There have been some lean months where I have felt the winners weren't actually worthy of winning anything, but due to the lack of competition they did. But that's my opinion.

Recently, a member mentioned in a thread that they had thrown some amazing markers but had yet to win and it started me thinking as to what makes a Mag worthy of MOTM? I know when I look at entries I look deeper than flashy ano. For me, the uniqueness and amount of actual work that went into an entry is at times more important that something put together with completely stock parts and anodized crazy colors. While I appreciate the entry, I am more likely to vote for something less flashy that has had special milling done and is unique. With that said the uniqueness has to be attractive. Simply slapping an oddball frame onto a stock Mag isn't going to do it for me.

I also think at times that some members' markers win due to popularity of that member. Kind of like the cool kids winning Prom King and Queen. But that's another thread. LOL.

So what in your opinion makes a Mag worthy of MOTM?

Uniqueness is typically the first thing I look for. Then complexity of the build and overall aesthetics. If I don't see anything that particular month that I think is something special I don't vote.

Edit: Simple answer; We do. We build them, we vote on them.
    Last edited by dboggs79; 07-29-2014 at 11:02 AM.

In the classic class I generally look at how classic it actually it first. There are a lot of things that are entered as classic that I don't think are. Then I look at aesthetics and if it is a splashed kit the completeness of the kit.

For open I look at the overall thing, milling, parts, finish, and uniqueness. I'm often surprised at what wins and how close the vote is.

uniquiness is definently what I look for too,
    I have yet to post anything into open that didn't take time and effort into putting together. along with the milling and such.
    but some times open class is a flashy competition.

it is a cool kids club most of the time, I can see that.

its ok, though.

I just posted that comment in the thread just to get people thinking I guess.

everyone has their own criteria for how they vote and that's what makes it fun

if flashy ano is your thing, vote for it. if you like rare or unusual parts, there ya go. if you just think someone is a cool guy and you want to help him/her out with their votes, that's ok too.

just remember that it's fun. there's been a few times where bickering has almost shut it down (and I've been guilty of it myself) but in the end, we all appreciate Mags and this gives us an outlet to show 'em off to each other.

i tend to vote for whatever strikes my fancy at that particular moment. my reason for one vote may be completely different from another instance. you could post the same entrants in consecutive months, and i may very well pick two different ones. one month it could be the cool lines/flow of a marker, the next could be the outrageous ano.

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags View Post
    uniquiness is definently what I look for too,
    I have yet to post anything into open that didn't take time and effort into putting together. along with the milling and such.
    but some times open class is a flashy competition.

it is a cool kids club most of the time, I can see that.

its ok, though.

I just posted that comment in the thread just to get people thinking I guess.
    While I generally agree with what you are saying consider I've won 4 times, twice in open and all of them were black. And I don't consider myself particularly popular on here either.

One thing I forgot to mention above it how certain things drive me nuts and will cause me to not vote for something. Mismatched or rusty grip screws. Poor choice in air fittings. To me nothing is more distracting than seeing a beautifully anodized marker with ugly chewed up macro fittings. Raw milled parts. Strip it down completely and polish it or get it anodized. Just my opinion. And naked girl stickers, drops, or barrel covers. Instantly gets a thumbs down for me. If I wanted anime pron I would be trolling those sites.
    Last edited by OPBN; 07-29-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Guess I've missed the whole popularity trick to all of this. There are people who I respect because of their knowledge and willingness to share it. There are other people who I think should pause and think before hitting send. They end up making what could have been a useful thread into a pissing contest. That being said I wouldn't not vote for the latter persons marker if I felt it was deserving.

Become a cool kid

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    Become a cool kid
    lol I wont be cool for long wont have anymore mags soon.

not saying I was cool anyways,

lol
    this will be a good discussion let see what people say.

first of all if i am entered i will not vote for myself but thats just me. for open class i say bring it on, whatever you like but as to what makes me vote for it that differs all the time. i've seen a lot of Classic winners that i thought didn't think were classic enought but thats just me again. maybe we need a 3rd catagory for heavily modified.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    While I generally agree with what you are saying consider I've won 4 times, twice in open and all of them were black. And I don't consider myself particularly popular on here either.

One thing I forgot to mention above it how certain things drive me nuts and will cause me to not vote for something. Mismatched or rusty grip screws. Poor choice in air fittings. To me nothing is more distracting than seeing a beautifully anodized marker with ugly chewed up macro fittings. Raw milled parts. Strip it down completely and polish it or get it anodized. Just my opinion. And naked girl stickers, drops, or barrel covers. Instantly gets a thumbs down for me. If I wanted anime pron I would be trolling those sites.
    I agree with some of this. I can't stand old chewed up air fittings and I really dislike when people use screws that don't have Allen heads for there grips. A philips head screw just looks so out of place.

That being said, my vote usually comes down to the moment, whatever tickles my fancy will get my vote that day. Sometimes it's ano, other times it is the milling or rare parts but usually it's how well I think the parts compliment each other. For example I think certain frames match up better with certain types of foregrips and so forth.

But then again, what do I know?

No clue what wins. I'll let you know if I ever figure it out.

Often it seems the best picture wins, which is obviously not ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post

... certain things drive me nuts and will cause me to not vote for something. Mismatched or rusty grip screws. Poor choice in air fittings. To me nothing is more distracting than seeing a beautifully anodized marker with ugly chewed up macro fittings. Raw milled parts. Strip it down completely and polish it or get it anodized. Just my opinion. And naked girl stickers, drops, or barrel covers. Instantly gets a thumbs down for me. If I wanted anime pron I would be trolling those sites.
    All these and cut trigger frames. I hate cut trigger frames. It's ugly and more ugly.

SZ
    Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    This is AO, find/make/mod an alternative .

Quote Originally Posted by SPLATTER-ZONED View Post
    All these and cut trigger frames. I hate cut trigger frames. It's ugly and more ugly.

SZ
    that is the reason most of my markers are running Benchmark frames as I hate cut off trigger guards with a double trigger hanging out.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    ...I hate cut off trigger guards with a double trigger hanging out.
    +1