Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So what makes a MOTM winner?

I only have one criteria --

If your foregrip is one of those skinny carbon fiber ones, I can't vote for you.

Quote Originally Posted by billz804 View Post
    i only have one criteria --

if your foregrip is one of those skinny carbon fiber ones, i can't vote for you.
    amen !!!

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Billz804 View Post
    I only have one criteria --

If your foregrip is one of those skinny carbon fiber ones, I can't vote for you.
    lol, why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    lol, why is that?
    They're way overused. And I see them on a lot of markers that they don't really flow with. It kills me to see a marker that is amazingly put together and nicely anno'd and have that grip just hanging out there screwing the whole thing up. They do fit with a few markers I've seen. But that is rare in my opinion .

Personally I hate seeing a loop of airline going from valve directly to tank asa.

Gas thru foregrip (with the right foregrip) looks so much better IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by dboggs79 View Post
    They're way overused. And I see them on a lot of markers that they don't really flow with. It kills me to see a marker that is amazingly put together and nicely anno'd and have that grip just hanging out there screwing the whole thing up. They do fit with a few markers I've seen. But that is rare in my opinion .
    i saw armada prime in person last sunday... that's one setup where it most definitely looks hot.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulCoffin View Post
    i saw armada prime in person last sunday... that's one setup where it most definitely looks hot.
    he just needs to get a dw barrel where the weave matches that of the body and foregrip.

i guess that's a pet-peeve of mine...mis-matched carbon fiber layups. if you're going through the trouble, you may as well match the weave, direction and finish.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Personally I hate seeing a loop of airline going from valve directly to tank asa.

Haha, I feel just the opposite. I like the simplicity of going straight from the asa to the valve rather than adding 2 more fittings and tiny little pieces of air line.

That's why mags are so awesome though, build them how you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post

Agree that they can look better sometimes, but they feel so much worse IMO. The way I hold a the marker, I'd be grabbing the upper macro fitting while I am shooting. Not a huge deal, but certainly not as nice as a smooth grip. The "loop" method is also marginally easier to take apart, if you're into that kind of thing.

RTP length rail and a long loop of macro is how I run things. SOooooo comfy!

The 12" loop of line is my perfered method. I prefer steel braid on mags and it is the easiest way of doing it. I can never get the right length of sttel braid for it to look clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    lol, why is that?
    I agree mostly with what dboggs79 said; I think they just kill otherwise good builds because they very seldom flow with the rest of the marker. Just about the only marker I liked one on was "Armada Prime".

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post

Now the Best Automag at Tunaball... THAT is a competition I take seriously.

Having Tom Kaye, Simon Stevens, Tunaman and Mike Quinn vote for your marker definitely caries some weight doesn't it?

MOTY3
    Quote Originally Posted by soulcoffin View Post
    i saw armada prime in person last sunday... That's one setup where it most definitely looks hot.
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    Having Tom Kaye, Simon Stevens, Tunaman and Mike Quinn vote for your marker definitely caries some weight doesn't it?
    Wait?! What?!?
    ......You know you want one!!

Quiet you. :P
    Warp Feed Evangelist
    My Feedback

Leave it up to tbaggin to throw a wrench in the entire July MOTM by a last minute entry of a pumpmag.

Lol. I had to. I had a mag at tunaball this year.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by splat15k View Post
    Often it seems the best picture wins, which is obviously not ideal.
    I've always wonder how much pictures help. I spend a lot of time preparing and trying to take quality photos of my guns but I don't know if it's really worth it. I've started to take pictures out in my grassy front yard and I think they give a more "Natural" look compared to the white background. Here is an example:

VS

The grass might be a little distracting and I've always been a fan of simpler things in life so might stick with the white background. It might take longer to clean up in photoshop, but I like the "Documented" feel of having an image with a white background.

Regarding voting on MOTM Guns....

I am a big fan of blue so that tends to get my votes most of the time, but that's my personal preference. It does go alone with my mantra of voting for guns that I could see myself playing with verses hanging on a wall. I have a price limit in my mind as well. Paintball guns are tools to me and I can't see myself using a tool worth $600+ when it does the same thing as a $200 tool but just has a nice paint job. Heck I'd play with my Tippmann before taking an Xmag on the field. One of the main reasons I won't own an Xmag unless I find one on ebay or craigslist for a stupid price.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8ermog View Post
    I've always wonder how much pictures help...
    a lot. you can have a great marker, but a bad picture will make it look a lot worse than it really is. also, i like the white background vs grass. speaking of which, the grass pic looks a little over-saturated to me.

I think the over saturation is sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8ermog View Post
    I've always wonder how much pictures help. I spend a lot of time preparing and trying to take quality photos of my guns but I don't know if it's really worth it. I've started to take pictures out in my grassy front yard and I think they give a more "Natural" look compared to the white background. Here is an example:

The grass might be a little distracting and I've always been a fan of simpler things in life so might stick with the white background. It might take longer to clean up in photoshop, but I like the "Documented" feel of having an image with a white background.

Regarding voting on MOTM Guns....

I am a big fan of blue so that tends to get my votes most of the time, but that's my personal preference. It does go alone with my mantra of voting for guns that I could see myself playing with verses hanging on a wall. I have a price limit in my mind as well. Paintball guns are tools to me and I can't see myself using a tool worth $600+ when it does the same thing as a $200 tool but just has a nice paint job. Heck I'd play with my Tippmann before taking an Xmag on the field. One of the main reasons I won't own an Xmag unless I find one on ebay or craigslist for a stupid price.
    If you have a polished or glossy marker, outdoor pics can be pretty nice. I kind of like "natural" pics, with air lines, barrels, loaders, and tanks. Pics aren't a huge thing, but it's nice to see how the mag hits the field. There are often some that simply look like an intermediate project pic. I'll give "points" for play-ability as well as high dollar glossy-ness. Also, highly photo-shopped pics start to look like complete fabrications or retouched. I honestly don't like plain blue markers, but I reckon that's why we are voting.

The only "unfair" thing that ever strikes me is when you look at the voting and there's two or three markers that got all of the votes, say in open-class, a pump mag and an SFL. There will be some markers that ran a close second or third to either of those, but the distinct types gathered up all of the votes and makes it look like other markers are completely unappealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-TW View Post
    The only "unfair" thing that ever strikes me is when you look at the voting and there's two or three markers that got all of the votes, say in open-class, a pump mag and an SFL. There will be some markers that ran a close second or third to either of those, but the distinct types gathered up all of the votes and makes it look like other markers are completely unappealing.
    I agree with this. Obviously sometimes a Mag will be so outstandingly done that it will garner almost all of the votes, but it strikes me wrong sometimes if it gets a lot of votes just because it's an SFL for example. I've never kept track though so I really am not quite sure how often this really happens. There have definitely been some months that I didn't vote because I either didn't like any of the entries or knew pretty much which one was going to win regardless of my vote.

I've entered and I've never won. I hate you all.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by river031403 View Post
    I've entered and I've never won. I hate you all.
    Lol
    I'm sorry. I can't hear you up here on my winners pedestal.

* obviously joking for those with no sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    I'm sorry. I can't hear you up here on my winners pedestal.

* obviously joking for those with no sense of humor.
    Some people just buy there wins.

Jk jk

Jk jk
    Oh, next thing you'll pull the race card!!!! lol

Good thread. I look for uniqueness, as other people said. I look for custom parts, custom ano jobs, what marker components were used, if it has something really odd and, of course, if it pleases my eyes.

EDIT:

Let me add this as well, as I believe it is important:

When I started to manage the polls every month, the main modification I did was to make the votes public. I did this for transparency reasons as I want people to be able to see who are the ones voting. The funny thing behind it (and I'm NOT saying there was something wrong before) is that a few years back, it was common to see a specific marker getting like 10 votes on the very last day of the poll. It was almost like those crazy eBay deals where people wait until the last minute to bid, you know? Today, you can see that this behavior changed and most of the time you can see who is going to win just three or four days after I open the poll. Interesting.

Now, let me stop blabling here and do my job as we are on the 1st already and it's time for me to prepare July's polls.

On that, please feel free to provide me feedback on how I am setting up these polls, if I'm being too strict or too lose with the rules, if I look to be somehow biased etc, ok? I love getting feedback and I am absolutely open to it so don't be shy!
    Last edited by mpsd; 08-01-2014 at 03:00 PM.

Hey, really? They must have sent the funds to the wrong account then!! Where's my cut!?!?? LOL

I like that the votes are transparent, because it's always funny to see who votes for their own mag. For shame!

Quote Originally Posted by Billz804 View Post
    I like that the votes are transparent, because it's always funny to see who votes for their own mag. For shame!
    I vote for mine most of the time unless there is one that I truly feel is a superior build like this month. With that said, why is it that once you vote you can't see who voted for who anymore? Or am I doing it wrong?