Thread: Freak inserts aluminum or stainless

Freak inserts aluminum or stainless

So I bought the stella and already have aluminum inserts but is there any advantages with stainless inserts? Do they shoot through breaks a little better?

I think there just more durable

They are supposedly more accurate to the printed size. So a .683 is actually a .683 and not floating between .686 and .678. 5hey are slightly more resistant to crushing, but are much heavier than regular inserts, relatively. They are slightly harder to find on the open market. They do not get parted out of a set, unlike regular inserts. They are also much more expensive.

Overall, they are not worth it, IMHO.

What would a set of seven stainless usually sell for compaired to regular?

Hard to read, when I go I ask what color everyone is running lol since I don't have stainless

I've run SS inserts for the past few years, first and only freak kit I've owned. There are 2 kits: older sizes (starting at .682 and going to .695) and newer sizes (going down to .678 I think.) As others have stated they keep their shape better, more resistant to wear, and more accurate to printed size. They are technically heavier but it is pretty small difference. I generally see them run $75-100 just for the inserts. I think I got a decent deal on more years ago since one was ever so slightly out of round and it was an older kit with the larger sizes. If you do get the older kit, ANS still sells the smaller sizes separately (at $20 a pop sadly) but you might actually need them. I'm from the Upper Midwest so I rarely use anything besides .682 and .684 and I honestly wish occasionally I had a few of the smaller sizes.
    I made the mistake of trading for a mag...now I'm trapped
    Cocker, Automag, and Misc Parts FS

the reasons I believe stainless inserts are better (I intentionally purchased a full stainless freak kit a couple of years ago for these reasons)

- material is less prone to size fluctuations from temperature effects, means more consistent bore sizes, when you choose an insert at the start of the day it remains closer to its true diameter as the temperature changes throughout the day
    - material is more durable
    - increased mass dampens felt recoil minutely
    - higher quality honing of the inner barrel surface (better microfinish)
    CNC Programmer/Machinist
    Polarstar Engineering and Machine