Thread: Slow recharge, slow trigger, then POP!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Slow recharge, slow trigger, then POP!

I have a Classic that I bought off Craigslist. Hadn't been used in years, but it seemed to work ok. For the heck of it, stuck an Air America Black Ice reg bottom housing on the back of the valve. Reused the piston, adjuster, spring pack, and reg seat from the Mag. (I know reusing the reg seat is a no-no, I was just curious at this point.) Lo and behold, it works! Awesome. Just to be safe, I fully rebuilt the gun with an AGD kit, then added CCM fittings and a hardline, and it still worked fine.

Problem #1: Today I went to target shoot, and I can't get more than .5bps. It takes more than half a second for the trigger to "click" back. If I pull the trigger immediately after it finally returns, it farts at me. (Aside, is this what chuffing is?) It takes a second or longer before it recharges enough to actually fire a shot at full velocity. There's an audible hiss that seems to be coming from inside the valve while it's recharging. If I crank in the adjuster, velocity goes up but doesn't improve cycle rate. I switched back to the original Classic valve back thinking that might be the problem, along with a new reg seat, but no change. After cleaning out the on/off a few times, cleaning everything, staring at operating animations, and generally fiddling for an hour and a half, I gave up and went in to hang out with my toddler. ("Daddy sad because paintball gun is bwoken." That's right, kid.)

Problem #2: It's been a good 5 hours since I degassed, pulled the trigger a few times, removed the tank, and hung it on the wall. Thought maybe I'll try cleaning the on/off again? Pull it off the wall, pull out the field strip screw, pull the trigger to make sure the pin doesn't catch, and slide the valve back. Scared the poop out of me when the on/off pin comes loudly rocketing out the fieldstrip hole, ricochets off my leg and makes the radiator ring nicely. I thought Mags degas pretty thoroughly? Am I doing something wrong, or is there something wrong with the gun?

I can only assume one of you is going to say replace the number whatever o-ring and it'll be perfect, and I'm going to feel like a moron, but better to feel like a moron and have a working Mag than the opposite.

Seems like something is jamming your "Regulator Valve Pin" so I'd check the regulator area for any dirt, also check that the valve pin isn't bent. But the problem is definitely in that area.
    I suppose it could be something jamming the piston as well.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Cyco-Dude Guest
    gun still being pressurized after removing tank...i've had that happen before. pressurized air is obviously in the air chamber, enough to blow the pin out. but not enough to push the bolt forward to escape due the to spring pressure. i think it happens sometimes when your tank is low? i'm not sure...

bolt slow to return...do you have a level 7 or level 10 bolt? if you aren't sure, post a picture. if you have a level 7 bolt, maybe try a different power tube o-ring as yours may be too tight (they do vary in size, and some new o-rings are bad). or, try a larger power tube spacer (ie, try a .220 if you have a .215). this will let the o-ring sit further down on the bolt stem, so there should be less drag. you could also try swapping the bolt spring out with a new one if you haven't already, as they do wear out eventually.

if you have a level 10 bolt installed, you need to tune it. first put the gold spring on the bolt and remove all shims inside the power tube if any are installed. next, while using the same carrier o-ring, find the largest carrier that does not leak.
    Last edited by Cyco-Dude; 09-27-2014 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    gun still being pressurized after removing tank...i've had that happen before. pressurized air is obviously in the air chamber, enough to blow the pin out. but not enough to push the bolt forward to escape due the to spring pressure. i think it happens sometimes when your tank is low? i'm not sure...
    Thing that makes me believe it's in the valve pin or piston is that he removed the tank and it still held pressure. All the pressure from the air chamber should bleed out of the asa if regulator is working like it should.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    all i know is i'm glad to have a bunch of automags, that way i can just swap things out until i either find what was wrong or the problem somehow fixes itself!

I've never had this happen to me, so I'm just trying to deduce what it could be. And I could be totally wrong in the end.