Thread: Anyone making acrylic grip panels?

Anyone making acrylic grip panels?

Interested in 90* and 45* clear acrylic panels. Anyone making them? Would look super cool on a couple things I have going on.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBob View Post
    Interested in 90* and 45* clear acrylic panels. Anyone making them? Would look super cool on a couple things I have going on.
    It's something I want to do, but I need to make a vacuum chamber to degas the plastic I would need to use. I just haven't had the time to mess with it.

Stinger paintball designs

I hand carve some, but its all about what you want.

I actually had some plexiglass left over and made up a pair of 90's at one point. Think I tossed them in the garbage because I didn't see anyone willing to pay for them. lol. As long as you have a template and a bench sander, files and polishing wheel pretty easy to make some up for cheap.

You should do it BE. I'm going to check with stinger, if I can get some for a decent price I'll pick them up. If not I'll make a set.

Look into Lexan instead of Plexiglass.Lexan is easier to work and cut without shattering or cracking. Some where I still have the 45 grips I made.
    I took the road least traveled...now where the hell am I ?

Quote Originally Posted by Runamok View Post
    Look into Lexan instead of Plexiglass.Lexan is easier to work and cut without shattering or cracking. Some where I still have the 45 grips I made.
    not sure if you know this but plexiglass is just a name brand not a material.
    because you can get lexan from plexiglass

Oh, ok, Then I guess I meant the stuff that doesn't crack when your trying to drill the mounting holes. When I used to shoot USPSA, I got a piece of Lexan(?) to make a belt buckle that held my 1st magazine holder. I was able to run it through the sheet metal rollers at work and it took the curve and didn't break or crack. No stress fractures either. I even made a support for a back pack out of thinner material that I bent 90* angles on a metal break. you could almost work it like sheet metal. There's nothing that will send you screaming into the night like cracking your grips you spend hours making, just because you put slightly too much pressure on a screw. Look for runamok-proof material!

Quote Originally Posted by Runamok View Post
    Oh, ok, Then I guess I meant the stuff that doesn't crack when your trying to drill the mounting holes. When I used to shoot USPSA, I got a piece of Lexan(?) to make a belt buckle that held my 1st magazine holder. I was able to run it through the sheet metal rollers at work and it took the curve and didn't break or crack. No stress fractures either. I even made a support for a back pack out of thinner material that I bent 90* angles on a metal break. you could almost work it like sheet metal. There's nothing that will send you screaming into the night like cracking your grips you spend hours making, just because you put slightly too much pressure on a screw. Look for runamok-proof material!
    der duh, I forgot what the title of the thread is,
    yeah you wouldn't want acrylic if you are worried when making your own if they will crack.
    my bad, comment wasn't need on my end.

I can do 45's out of polyester. Hit me up on IM if you have an interest. Lots of options available.

I'll be happy to work with you to make sure you have exactly the grips you want.

I think I goofed it too. Is acrylic a "poured" type liquid that sets up? Looking at Rob's panel's that's awesome! very customize able. I really like the pink& white flower ones.

"Acrylic" is a class of polymers. They can be in sheets, blocks, poured resin, whatever.

My particular resin is a polyester resin, and if I I took chemistry in college instead of English Lit, I could probably tell you what that meant.

There is a good bit of finishing work necessary after pouring with my process. I do get the glassy-clear results though.