Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Splash patterns

Splash patterns

I recently purchased a camo splash kit from a member on MCB. When I got it in, I started really looking at the patterns. The site rail has the Eclipse sticker on it so I know that is Eclipse, but the more I look at it I wonder if the rail isn't SP? Also, if you kinda wiggle stuff in the light you can start to see some definite color differences in the some of the parts. For example, the rail, vert ASA, PF plug and frame all seem very similar both in colors and patterns. The sight rail and tourney lock look very close and then the barrel is kind of a different critter altogether. And the barrel is what looks to be an All American barrel so if anything it should match the frame and rail??? Or did eclipse by SP barrels and anodize them? I am a bit confused. Anyone have info? Here is a quick pic from the previous owner. I can get some others when I get a chance and better light.

BTW, I am not looking to hang the seller out to dry or anything, but just wondering who has more info on these. I looked through the archives and saw an old SP add that had a barrel with the same pattern and colors and noticed it kind of looked different in their pictures too. Also, seems like most of the Eclipse rails had the ridges or bump outs on them, so its really making me think I have a pieced together kit or two.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    man, i know there was a nice thread with a lot of different splash patterns on it, but i can't seem to find it (figures!). there are these two i dug up, though:

eclipse splash guide

smart parts splash guide

a couple things to keep in mind, different alloys will take the dye differently. so you could have the same color dye, but have it look different if the aluminum alloys differ. also, the patterns may just look differently on different parts. like, you may see the full pattern on a larger piece, but it may look different on a smaller piece just because it didn't get as much of the pattern on it, you know?

there certainly does seem to be a lot of over-lap though between the two kits in the parts you have. that looks like a sp rail (eclipse rail had those side cuts in it), obviously an eclipse rail, everything else could go either way.

OPBN: For simplicity sake, you have a blend of Planet Eclipse "Camo Splash" and Smart Parts "Golden Line" "Camo Splash" parts. Check out a few of my articles about which parts came with each splash kit. It is pretty confusing, but check out both the anodizing I.D Guide and the Splash Kit I.D Guide and hopefully it will make more sense.

https://www.automags.org/forums/conte...planet-eclipse

https://www.automags.org/forums/conte...46-smart-parts

For example...

Camo Splash Above (Late 90's)
    Camo Golden Line Below (1994ish)
    Last edited by Bunny; 12-02-2014 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Beat by 1 min :-(

Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to as well after checking through the links. I am pretty bent at this point as it was offered as a "kit". My bad for assuming, but there is some additional info on this that makes me believe it wasn't a mistake by any stretch of the imagination. I will probably be offering all this up parted shortly as I just want the crap out of my sight. Ugh.

If you part it out, I'd be interested in the SP stuff (gripframe, rail, VASA, PF plug, wood grips)

Admittedly, Eclipse(PK Selective) did have similar patterns for their splashs. Banzai Green was green base, black sponge/wash and silver splash. British Racing Green was the same green base and black sponge/wash, but a tan splash. I believe that the Electric Skies and the Ice pattern on series 1 Eclipse Splash was one colour off. In the right, or in your case the wrong is that if the kit isn't totally complete or has been pieced together by someone that doesn't know, you might have cases like this. I do hate when people dump some parts(the gadget grip barrel plug, powerfeed plug for example) because they are unusable and break up a kit. I feel for you, especially since you probably paid a pretty penny for it.

I paid more then I usually would and passed on another kit that would have allowed me to actually have a full kit. That and the guys took two weeks to ship it... I could go on. I appreciate the help guys. Currently attempting to get him to refund my money and just ship it back to him. Not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    I paid more then I usually would and passed on another kit that would have allowed me to actually have a full kit. That and the guys took two weeks to ship it... I could go on. I appreciate the help guys. Currently attempting to get him to refund my money and just ship it back to him. Not holding my breath.
    Not to rain on the site, but it is mcb.

That pretty much sums it up.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Not to rain on the site, but it is mcb.

That pretty much sums it up.
    what's that supposed to mean? has your experience there been so bad? it hardly sums up mcb.

I know what he means. I have by far dealt with more flakes on MCB than here by far. But its also a larger community so it's part of doing business there. I can't complain too much as I have done well there,but I get a lot more people asking ridiculous questions and yanking my chain there for pictures and close ups and blood samples etc. Lot less hassle overall here. Trust me if it doesn't get resolved I will complain. I paid a membership fee and expect more out of "members".

I know what he means. I have by far dealt with more flakes on MCB than here by far. But its also a larger community so it's part of doing business there. I can't complain too much as I have done well there,but I get a lot more people asking ridiculous questions and yanking my chain there for pictures and close ups and blood samples etc. Lot less hassle overall here. Trust me if it doesn't get resolved I will complain. I paid a membership fee and expect more out of "members".
    Hate to say it butt that is bought trust over there. I think the original idea was good but once eveyoneheard of deals being cheaper for members the original intent was lost. Now its no differen in there then being a supporting member on PBN?. One reason i gave up being a paying member is the members are better attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

I would consider that a camo splash kit. Yes, it is pieced together from different companies' parts, but that is also obvious from the picture. I don't think anything deceptive happened here and the seller doesn't have to take a return on these. I would take a return, but I don't think the seller is obligated to by any means. It sounds like you probably rushed into this one without doing enough research.
    With that said, hopefully the seller accepts the return b/c it's the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by MAGgot View Post
    I would consider that a camo splash kit. Yes, it is pieced together from different companies' parts, but that is also obvious from the picture. I don't think anything deceptive happened here and the seller doesn't have to take a return on these. I would take a return, but I don't think the seller is obligated to by any means. It sounds like you probably rushed into this one without doing enough research.
    With that said, hopefully the seller accepts the return b/c it's the right thing to do.
    We can agree to disagree. I didn't rush into it. I had been eyeing it up for some time and the seller approached me about a trade. Due to the price he was asking, I felt it was safe to assume that it was a matching kit, not pieced together. Yes, the colors appear a little off the more you look at the picture, but that can also be attributed to lighting etc. Truthfully, you really have to look hard at the site rail and tourney lock to tell they are from different kits. The barrel is more easily distinguishable, but mainly because the green is so far off. It more emerald than the other parts. Should I have confirmed it? Yes. Should he have been more upfront that this "kit" was mismatched? Absolutely.

I think the picture, albeit not a great one, is about as upfront as you can get.
    I feel confident in saying there are way more mismatched/ pieced together kits out there these days then there are original matched ones. If you are looking for an original kit, anytime you see an Eclipse sticker you know you should not be getting a: barrel, frame, VASA.
    Even back in the day most people bought one piece at a time out of the catalogs, due to the cost. Kits have been pieced together since the beginning.

Maybe. But I would have erred on the side of caution. Even something as simple as calling them "splash parts" instead of "splash kit" would have helped. I am mellowing about it a little and in the end might actually just keep the pieces and keep an eye out for the rest of each of the kits. Just very disappointing to wait as long as I did and pay as much as I did to get what I consider mismatched parts. Time to turn lemons into lemonade I guess.

Maybe. But I would have erred on the side of caution. Even something as simple as calling them "splash parts" instead of "splash kit" would have helped. I am mellowing about it a little and in the end might actually just keep the pieces and keep an eye out for the rest of each of the kits. Just very disappointing to wait as long as I did and pay as much as I did to get what I consider mismatched parts. Time to turn lemons into lemonade I guess.
    I hear ya. I agree that erring on the side of caution is a good idea on such a high dollar sale. Should have been more pics (unless there was and I didn't see them). That seller did really goof on a bunch of other sales lately too, so that would be playing into my unhappiness as well.
    Good luck, hope you guys can work it out.

I'm curious, was this picture used in the sale?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yes.

I might add that it also was never mentioned that the rail was pump milled (actually a bonus) and there was an issue because after the money was sent, the seller tried to wiggle out of including the grip panels in the deal. Then when I told him to send me my money back he suddenly agreed to send the panels. And he shipped the parts 12 days later.....

not following the details given on sale thread. it says rail pump milled, and for splash camo "parts'. i dont see the word kit....

Quote Originally Posted by skipdogg View Post
    not following the details given on sale thread. it says rail pump milled, and for splash camo "parts'. i dont see the word kit....
    Maybe you're looking at the wrong thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/b...seriously.html

Clearly says "Automag Splash Kit" and there is no verbiage regarding pump milled or not. Honestly, I am glad it's pump milled, just pointing out lack of proper labeling.

he had a non member thread here:
    its the one im referring to. http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...nchesters.html

I bought it based on the member one.

Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yes.
    Reason I ask is because even at first glance I thought the anno was from 2 diffrent markers. To me the colors are clearly diffrent.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Reason I ask is because even at first glance I thought the anno was from 2 diffrent markers. To me the colors are clearly diffrent.
    I chalked it up to poor lighting I think. In person, with better lighting it is actually much less noticeable. The barrel definitely looks different, but the sight rail and tourney lock are very hard to tell the difference and could easily be explained as differences in aluminum grade. Either way, I admit I should have probably done more research and asked more questions. Mainly it was offered to me as a kit and I didn't question it because it was a paying member. Was it misdirection? Not sure. Was it misleading? Maybe. Either way, it's done and I am going to move on and try to get the rest of the kit as time allows. If I get to a point where I can't finish it out, maybe I'll move the pieces.

Thanks for everyones input.

Im not sure if it is something that varied from year to year, but eclipse rail that I have owned are very different from the one in the pic.
    But I think you have a really nice set of splash parts there, with some being quite hard to find. I'm actually a bit jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    what's that supposed to mean? has your experience there been so bad? it hardly sums up mcb.
    Yes it was, and yes it does.

Let's just say there absolutely is a reason I haven't logged in there since 2009.

I'll leave it at that.

What's funny to me reading this thread, is that I didn't even know there was a "paid member" BST section on MCB. I just signed up with a free account like any other Internet forum and assumed what I saw is what you get. Maybe I just never looked close enough at all the stuff in all of the subforums.

For what little it is worth, I've done well enough doing business over there, keeping in mind that a good number of my buys have been with people who are also members here (I just PM from whichever forum I happen to be on/see the sale post on at the time). I had one deal that ended up a little "off", but I wrote the whole thing off once I got the item in question as my fault for jumping on something that looked too good to be true.

OPBN, I'm glad you've considered lemonade. I was thinking that if you are buying to collect, you are a good ways on to two kits with the parts in this deal. At the very least, a post in the various splash kit parts swapping threads around could get you traded into the missing parts of the SP kit for the eclipse parts you already have, completing your kit for not as much money? Last, big congratulations on getting the surprise pump milled rail! An original splash pump would be a very cool toy to have!

Let's just say there absolutely is a reason I haven't logged in there since 2009.
    Probably related to your constant injection of politics into threads over there. Politics and gods other than Velcor are not allowed to be discussed. Should come as no surprise you didn't get along.

Yes it was, and yes it does. Let's just say there absolutely is a reason I haven't logged in there since 2009. I'll leave it at that.
    Have to say I've never had any problems on buying stuff from MCB, or any other problems for that matter.

So it gets even more interesting. While I was in the process of trying to get the original camo splash "kit" another one had popped up. I was negotiating for the new one, but had to pass since I didn't think I was getting the other. Long story short, I ended up contacting the buyer of the other kit and purchased it as well.

Now the top kit should all be SP, which is what the frame and rail are supposed to be on the bottom marker and look at the difference in colors!! The base color on the top set is significantly more brown than the bottom set. And to be honest, the colors are more in line to what is on the Eclipse sight rail on the original kit. I'm guessing one must be from an earlier batch? Well, guess I'll need to find a third and hopefully it will match enough of one kit to have a complete kit...lol.
    Last edited by OPBN; 12-15-2014 at 10:20 AM.