Thread: X-valve..How low can it go?

X-valve..How low can it go?

Hello,

Well after finally getting a ULT on the gun to stop the RT effect I took my gun out to see how it shoots..went from 4300ishpsi to 2400psi off my ninja with SHP reg. I only emptied one revy hopper...

How low can I take the input pressure of this valve where it still shoots fine without eating half my ninja's air supply? I know they are gas hogs but if I can lean it out a bit then I will lol.

Thanks!

Cyco-Dude Guest
    really, the only ways are to reduce your velocity, and underbore your barrel. 2000 psi for 200 paintballs does seem extreme to me, though.

That is what got me, Perhaps I am shooting a bit hot as I don't have a chrono in my house I was just shooting to make sure it wouldn't chuff or anything. But yeah man it ate my revy hopper along with around 2k psi of air..wtf...I do have the 1100psi output on the SHP so perhaps pull out the shims after I empty the tank and try again later. I'm using a lapco in .690 which has worked fine but I doubt its underbore- if anything its matched bore to size. Bringing input psi down won't lower the amount of air it eats? Not even a bit? I know the valve doesn't just let the 1100 through lol but I was hoping it would help.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Christofolo View Post
    That is what got me, Perhaps I am shooting a bit hot as I don't have a chrono in my house I was just shooting to make sure it wouldn't chuff or anything. But yeah man it ate my revy hopper along with around 2k psi of air..wtf...I do have the 1100psi output on the SHP so perhaps pull out the shims after I empty the tank and try again later. I'm using a lapco in .690 which has worked fine but I doubt its underbore- if anything its matched bore to size. Bringing input psi down won't lower the amount of air it eats? Not even a bit? I know the valve doesn't just let the 1100 through lol but I was hoping it would help.
    it shouldn't make a difference; the valve regulator will regulate the tank's output pressure down to what the valve needs. it does have an effect on the recharge rate and bounce, though (which you know i'm sure). although, if you don't want the gun to rt, why have 1,100 psi output in the first place? or do you just swap guns and have one for rt beast-mode? lol

also, i doubt .690 is a match for anything. paint is generally smaller these days, but you would need a ball sizer to know for sure.

Well initially I wanted an RT effect so I had gotten the x-valve and when it did RT it was minimal so I picked up the SHP as I wasn't using anywhere near 1000 psi output. Even then, it still didn't RT well so I figure screw it I'll put on the ULT and go with a great trigger setup. That is what I have now. I'm considering swapping the SHP back to the regular adjustable now. Also, I did dry fire it a bit at first because I added a couple drops of lube in the line since I didn't shoot the gun for some time. Maybe thats where the extra used up air was? I guess alot more is used dry-firing...

You'd be surprised how big the paint is in south florida lol, with the .690 my local paint is barely letting any light pass through. If anything a .687 may be the sweet spot but I don't have a barrel kit :/

Dry firing eats up way more air than shooting paint. Go with the short lvl 10 spring for better efficiency. I hate running more than 850 into my guns. When the tank pressure drops below the output the performance suffers. I get 6 pods and a hopper off of all of my mags. That is what I carry. I always have air left.

Figures, say where can I get the other colored springs? I have the gray one but not the gold or red. Which is which? I recall getting similar on my gun but I think I'd be better off changing the spring too now that the rest of the gun is set up with it's lvl 10, carriers, etc...

Edit: Got lucky and found a gold one on ebay lol
    Last edited by Christofolo; 12-05-2014 at 11:13 PM.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Christofolo View Post
    Figures, say where can I get the other colored springs? I have the gray one but not the gold or red. Which is which? I recall getting similar on my gun but I think I'd be better off changing the spring too now that the rest of the gun is set up with it's lvl 10, carriers, etc...

Edit: Got lucky and found a gold one on ebay lol
    god, don't buy them there! i think the one guy charges $19 for one...they only cost $4! pm tuna, call agd, hell order one from ans gear...anywhere but ebay.

also, the silver springs are not meant to be used as-is, they are the ones you trim if you want to tune your lvl 10 bolt. most people just use the gold or red spring though.

Yeah, there is no way you should be running through 2000psi for a hopper of balls. More than likely you were RTing like crazy and dry firing as you were outshooting the revvy. Think about it. If you are RTing 15bps, it would only take you 10-15 seconds to empty the revvy.

Dry firing is hard on air, especially in a level 10 setup. Every shot empties the chamber instead of leaving residual pressure. In a level 10 there would normally be around 150psi of residual pressure left after firing a ball depending on your bolt spring setup. That much air is wasted when dry firing.

An average setup just shooting balls(not dry firing) will fire approximately 650 balls using 2300 psi of air from a 68ci tank and approximately 550 balls from a 48ci tank. If you are purely dry firing, the numbers drop to 425 shots for the 68ci tank and 360 shots for the 48ci tank. Since you probably had a combination of dry firing and shooting balls, your numbers will be somewhere in between. Those numbers will be altered by any inefficiencies in your setup such as a really short or really long barrel, or a short control bore and lots of porting, or excess velocity. Excess velocity really uses a lot of extra air and is an item that is easily controlled on any gun setup. Even dropping from 295 fps to 280fps saves a lot of air without sacrificing much distance and will gain a lot of consistency in your shots.

If you are getting bolt springs, you probably aren't going to find the red ones. AGD just ships the gold ones and grey ones now. You get the proper spring tension when fine tuning by clipping one end of a grey spring. Make sure you put the cut end against the bolt. The gold springs are the low chamber pressure ones that will work in all situations.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.