Thread: Inception barrel

Inception barrel

I'm wanting to buy a stella barrel, I'm looking to get the freak compatible back and a slimline front, do you have to get the bigger bored tip? It recommends it on the website but is there a reason for it? I can't recall the last time I used an insert bigger than a .687, the smaller stella tip size is a .689; if I don't go over the .689 do I have any advantages or disadvantages?

Reason is that you would have a step to smaller bore on front which could cause a lot of barrel breaks.

Correct on all counts.

If Simon says you should - considering he built and designed them - I'd take that as gospel.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Laku View Post
    Reason is that you would have a step to smaller bore on front which could cause a lot of barrel breaks.
    he said his insert would be .687 max; small front bore is .689.

It's like putting a silencer on a paintball gun. I kid you not.

I wish he made backs that went a little better with the mags though.

The Stella back is longer than the freak insert so no matter what insert you use there is about 2in after the insert that is a larger bore so if you use a small or mid size bore front it will create a edge for the paintball to catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Syko89 View Post
    The Stella back is longer than the freak insert so no matter what insert you use there is about 2in after the insert that is a larger bore so if you use a small or mid size bore front it will create a edge for the paintball to catch.
    This is why I say, that if you're gonna get a Stella you should stay away from the insert ready backs. My opinion, your losing the greatest feature of the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
    he said his insert would be .687 max; small front bore is .689.
    Yes but the freak insert won't cover the whole barrel back so you'd end up with about 2 inches of larger bore after the insert until it would shrink back to the fronts bore size. That would make a step in the middle that could easily cause more barrel breaks.

What's the bore size in the back, between the insert and the tip?

Quote Originally Posted by dboggs79 View Post
    What's the bore size in the back, between the insert and the tip?
    I think it's .695, but I'm not totally sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Laku View Post
    I think it's .695, but I'm not totally sure.
    Just reaffirms my feeling about my previous statement.

Yeah, I rock mine without the freak back as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Syko89 View Post
    This pretty much sums up my curiosity...I'll be getting the largest bore for the front, thanks

just my two cents on the stella barrel system. i ended up getting most of a full stella kit when i bought my breast cancer axe. bought the rest of the kit afterwards as well as a freak insert back. it's a nice system but not the god kit that some make it out to be. this is strictly my opinion of course. the sound signature is about the same as my cp barrel kit from 14 years ago. freak insert back has one advantage in that you'll be able to get smaller bore increments (assuming you have a bunch of them). i find the .005 jumps in size of the stella to be too wide a margin. i agree you'll get better efficiency with the longer control bore and arguably better consistency.

Don't forget that you can pick up Deadlywind cf fronts, which if you want the larger bore, those should be more apt.

I wholly disagree with capt spank.

But I only used my Freaked Stella with an Apex2 tip.

I tried the Apex with several Lapcos, and standard Freaks which all sounded like shotguns.

The Stella was literally the quietest barrel I've ever used.

It is no doubt a broomstick but I've gotten used to it, being an old slow back player it wasnt difficult.

I'm hoping it is as quiet as most say, I don't really care much for efficiency since I get all day air whenever I play and strictly play hopper ball so I'm safe as long as I can get a fill mid day

Quote Originally Posted by keiko_819 View Post
    I'm hoping it is as quiet as most say, I don't really care much for efficiency since I get all day air whenever I play and strictly play hopper ball so I'm safe as long as I can get a fill mid day
    I don't have it, but i have played with BigEvil with his. I will safely say that from the dead box, when he was shooting his mag, it didn't sound like a mag and it was extremely quiet, like you could barely hear it at some distance. This is my opinion. I do think there are some tests done on the noise signature of the barrel. Some like it. The one big thing is, if you don't like you can sell it on the open market fairly easy.

sigh... if only i still had my crome 2 to pair with my new stella barrel. it'd be like i wasn't even there...

Quote Originally Posted by SoulCoffin View Post
    sigh... if only i still had my crome 2 to pair with my new stella barrel. it'd be like i wasn't even there...
    it'd be like you weren't there because you'd be refilling your tank after every game

My Stella system is combined with an XMT all CF body and it is by far the quietest marker I have ever heard. I can dry fire in the house with out the wife complaining. I use a .680 back with a .683 front and it shoots much staighter than my shaft 4 and DW. I tried all three barrels (cleaned) and the Stella was much better. Of course I didn't adjust velocity so it's not at all a scientific comparison. It is however the heaviest barrel I own.

Quote Originally Posted by fz6soldier View Post
    It is however the heaviest barrel I own.
    we shoot mags, weight is not an issue...I should be getting mine in tomorrow so Im pretty stoked to try it out this weekend

agreed, the weight doesn't bother me at all. but i know some people are always looking to go as light as possible.
    Last edited by fz6soldier; 01-21-2015 at 10:57 PM.