Thread: NEED HELP - Private Eye Skills Needed

Cool NEED HELP - Private Eye Skills Needed

Ok I need some help with something that has been bugging me for the last few months. Here is my story.

I was trying to buy a PTP Blue Vert Cocker from a guy on PBnation. Here is the original post:

Pro Team Cocker fs/ft

Here is what it looked like before the Ebay Seller gutted it:

We were chatting through PMs (which I eventually deleted cause I needed space) and had agreed on a set price. He then backed out because someone else offered him his asking price. I was understanding but sad.

A few days later there was an auction that popped up on Ebay with the same body, but just the body. Here is the link to the auction:

PTP Pro Team Products Pump Autococker Body Dust Blue Complete WGP Dye Eclipse | eBay

This auction has been up for about 4+ months now at the same $100 asking price. I contacted the seller and very professionally asked him if he'd consider an offer. The following are all our conversations since (Start from the bottom and read up):

So my next step was to have a local friend (Hooligan) buy the body and hand it off to me. Once I mentioned that I was going to have a friend buy it for me the eBay seller took the auction down. Now I really don't know what this guy's deal is but I really would like to add this PTP body to my collection.

Can someone help me either contact this guy and show him that I'm a legitimate buyer or at least help me acquire this PTP body and barrel? I've lost this gem twice now and don't want it to slip away. Thanks.

so first you offered a trade on an ebay listing, then you lowballed his list price, then told him you told the original seller he was "flipping"it for more money. then pretty much badgered him and insulted him. After reading this a few times you came off as a major tool and i dont blame the him in the least for not wanting to deal with you.
    You should have sucked it up and just bought the damn thing without all the drama.
    BEZERKERS
    ALL MAG SHOOTING TEAM

It looks like the simplest way to get it is to pick it up next time he lists it, or have Hooligan snatch it for ya. He wants the money, that's all. No backstory, no explaining who's going to buy it from him, just money. Keep it simple, don't over-explain it, and you'll be good to go. Hooligan's good people, too. If he can help ya out, he will. Good luck!

ill buy it for you man just hit me up when you see it again.
    no problems.

I do it some times for some guy who lives in Sweden :

Quote Originally Posted by wimag View Post
    so first you offered a trade on an ebay listing, then you lowballed his list price, then told him you told the original seller he was "flipping"it for more money. then pretty much badgered him and insulted him. After reading this a few times you came off as a major tool and i dont blame the him in the least for not wanting to deal with you.
    You should have sucked it up and just bought the damn thing without all the drama.
    Pretty much this. At some point, you just need to suck it up and buy it if you want it that darn bad. Not everyone appreciates the dickering around or trade offers and get annoyed.

If you want something that bad, pay for it.
    Warp Feed Evangelist
    My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Not everyone appreciates the dickering around or trade offers and get annoyed.
    I'd tend to agree.

If somethings listed on the forums or craigslist as "F/S/T" it's fair game to make a cash or trade offer. If an item is listed "For Sale Only" on a forum or CL, tread carefully. If it's listed on Ebay without a "best offer button" (just Bid or Buy It Now) leave the seller the hell alone - if they wanted to "make a deal" they'd have listed it on CL or a forum in the first place.

Nothing pisses me off more than when people try to "educate me" about why I should sell something to them for a little (or a lot) less than I'm asking, except maybe those who offer trades or lowballs on ebay. It's one thing when a seller doesn't know what they have (i.e. make, model) or when someone is asking something ridiculous like $500 for a classic mag, but when it's a matter of a small pricing difference I've learned to leave it alone, and I appreciate it when others do.

That said, if you want me to buy it for ya, let me know. I've got no problem sending it your way.

So far I totally agree with all you guys. I did forget to include a few pieces of info. When I first emailed him I really only had like $75 to offer and I already had a PTP vert cocker in my collection so it was a just a shot in the dark. He seemed nice at first and told me straight up that he wasn't taking offers, but after a few months had passed I thought I'd try again, but no answer.

A few weeks ago I traded my PTP cocker because I assumed I could just buy this guys blue PTP cocker. I full agree that I should have just clicked the BIN button and be done with it. I am a sales man at heart and like to "dicker" and haggle way too much and in this situation it was to my determinant. I just didn't think he would cut me off from buying or contacting him.

I feel like I apologized to him and I want to move on, but he won't return my emails.

Frizzle Fry: Thanks for the offer. I've had a few friends offer to buy it for me, but he pulled down the auction so I don't know what to do next.

Thanks for the input guys.

Didn't mean any slight against ya personally, I've done business with you and I know you're not "that guy" just figured I'd toss my two cents in.

And if it pops up, let me know.

Hate to say it but if I were selling something and did want someone to get it and saw that he was having friends try to buy it that part or gun would go back in a box for sometime.

That could easily hapen with this depending on how badly he got pissed off and if he finds your posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

Well after many apologies and paying a little extra I was able to talk him into selling to me. I just got it today and I think his final jab at me was to package it poorly. There are a few scratches on it, but nothing too bad. I'm already starting to build it into the blue pump I had envisioned it to be:

All said and done I did mess up pretty bad on this one and this thread might not have enlisted the help I was hoping for, but I appreciate the honesty and I've learned my lesson. I'm just glad this baby is home.