Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: One Legged T-Rex (OLTR)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

One Legged T-Rex (OLTR)

Pre order page is up> http://www.lukescustoms.com/t-rex.html

Oops, lost the other thread. (sarcasm)

The overseer, a little tribute to TK.
    Found this little guy in the trunk of a car at an auto salvage yard. He was buried under a pile of old parts, dirt and trash, he's missing an arm, leg and both hands. I saw some irony in his discovery so I had to dig him out and bring him home. lol

On to other news...

I've been working on the T-Rex for 3-4 months. I believe I've dialed in the final design but several more phases of testing is still required.
    The design incorporates a built in mounting tab and an airline hole to pass a LP hose through if you're bringing in low pressure air from a forward mounted regulator.

Here's the two latest working prototypes, V9 and 9.1 essentially they're the same but with minor machining changes (A few different internal chamfers to cut down on the number of tools and tool changes.)

Did more bench testing yesterday after machining this little mount. So far this little dude rips, feeling stoked about the design. But more testing is required.

The body and valve assembly are machined from brass.
    Trigger pin is non proprietary, made of stainless steel. The current design locates the trigger pin pretty close to a factory set trigger pin. These can be ground down without affecting the valve operation if you want the trigger to sit back further in the frame. The trigger pin is an off the shelf 1/8" x 3/4" dowel pin.
    The trigger pin has a built in stop in the valve body, it is impossible to over pull or bottom out the valve assembly.
    The pin stroke is set at 0.04" but I believe it will operate at a much shorter stroke. (Again further testing is required)
    This design uses orings in all the spots that need a seal, NO Teflon tape or thread sealer! Sounds silly but that's a big deal when you sit down to assemble a bunch of parts. Also, sealers can be problematic on pneumatic valve systems.

For the record this is not a Zap design, parts are nowhere interchangeable, the valve assemblies are completely different.

If you're interested in the project please post. Pricing will be within the scope of what's come before.

This will not work in the following frames:
    Z-Grip
    Y-Grip
    RPG Triton
    Airwalk (Too close to call without CAD's)
    Last edited by luke; 12-14-2016 at 08:31 PM.

id be up for maybe two price and such considered.

this is neat to see you get this done.
    Last edited by knownothingmags; 03-03-2015 at 03:58 PM.

Thanks!

What frame are you considering for your build?

Would this design work for z-frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Kusokow View Post
    Would this design work for z-frame?
    Sorry, No.
    Last edited by luke; 03-12-2015 at 06:59 PM.

I would be interested in two as well depending on price and how easy it will be to get this in intelli style frames

So it would require a fair amount of work for a Y-Frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring View Post
    So it would require a fair amount of work for a Y-Frame?

It looks like the Y frame will not be a candidate for this. (Bummer) I never really looked at the frame in consideration for the mod until now.
    The way the Y frame is machined at the point where it narrows (at the red arrow) is the limiting factor.

If you look at the arrow on my frame, this is the necessary spot where the front of the valve must sit in order for the ram face to be in the correct location (That can't change).
    After looking at the Intelli it may be coming up a smig shy but I think I can make it work with a little machining on the valve, but I'll have to look at the cads.
    But like I said, my focus is on testing the valve not exploring all the possibilities everyone is going to want, all that in due time.

All that being said, the valve design has little to no room for changes in this current configuration, actually it was all I could do to squeeze what was necessary into the space I had to work in, I was LITTERALLY splitting a few 10ths (0.0001) to get the design to work.

This looks awesome! Is there enough room in that frame to fit a tickler LPR?

I'm interested in one.
    Chupas

Shakira series YO-Mag. Purple to black fade
    Yo Boy for life

I'm in for at least one!

Nice to hear its finally coming luke, in for one.

I have an intelli for testing... I love this!!!

I hope this works awesome. This is something that is way over due... a high quality high performance version anyhow. Testing looks promising.

Luke do you have a rough idea how far out this is from being released? I realize your still in testing, just curious.

Can who ever has the CAD for the original M90 (Tuna/BigE?) check if the exterior profile of the valve will fit that frame.
    Last edited by Mole1119; 03-04-2015 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by magman313 View Post
    Luke do you have a rough idea how far out this is from being released? I realize your still in testing, just curious.
    Soon I hope.

Would this frame work with a PTP micromag and an xvalve?

Quote Originally Posted by boo View Post
    Would this frame work with a PTP micromag and an xvalve?
    Probably

Awesome. Thanks luke. The pictures really help understand what's involved to use one in an intelli.

Hopefully I can snag one once you start taking orders. Since im using an intelli, the "cheatah" is going to be my only option if I want to do a sleaper pneumag, having the LPR inside the grip frame.

Can't wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by gotzskillz View Post
    Awesome. Thanks luke. The pictures really help understand what's involved to use one in an intelli.

Hopefully I can snag one once you start taking orders. Since im using an intelli, the "cheatah" is going to be my only option if I want to do a sleaper pneumag, having the LPR inside the grip frame.

Can't wait!!
    You cant put the LPR inside because there is no material to tap for the LPR. The bottom of the Intelli-Frame is machined out. take a look at the bottom and you will understand what I am talking about. . . . .

I have one idea that I have been kicking around as a solution to that but I am not willing to share it!
    ......You know you want one!!

Looking at the "pictures" I see a potential issue. Will the lower machining for the low pressure hose be covered by the grip?
    It is hard to tell from that perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Loguzzzzzz View Post
    Looking at the "pictures" I see a potential issue. Will the lower machining for the low pressure hose be covered by the grip?
    I think the machining is internal and nothing will be opened up outside...at least that's what I take from it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    I think the machining is internal and nothing will be opened up outside...at least that's what I take from it.
    Exactly.

looking at the pictures, what is the minimum wall thickness near those top gripframe screws?

No. That does not breach the exterior of the frame. The diameter of that (deep) cut is only 3/8" wide.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    No. That does not breach the exterior of the frame. The diameter of that (deep) cut is only 3/8" wide.
    Ahh yes! I see that now.
    Cool!

You cant put the LPR inside because there is no material to tap for the LPR. The bottom of the Intelli-Frame is machined out. take a look at the bottom and you will understand what I am talking about. . . . .
    Truth.

I have one idea that I have been kicking around as a solution to that but I am not willing to share it!
    Me too, just never had the desire to go there.

Yeah, I noticed that. I'll probably make an insert the the LPR will be threaded into or one of my other ideas.

I've got plenty of ideas, just a lack of machining capability.

I just machined an Intelli looks there wont be any issues, there was an area that concerned me but we're good after all. I'll have to clean up the tool path, got some chatter but that can be fixed. Purpose build frames will be so much cleaner.