Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I'm having a kid...

So I'm having a kid...

Well found out a few months ago after thoughts of getting into previous hobbies that I am going to be having a baby. Here's the thing...I have no idea what to expect and want to prepare as much as possible. Besides not getting sleep, changing poop diapers, and generally doing everything within my will power for my child...what should I do and or buy, read, or invest in for my child? Any and all help appreciated.

First of all congratulations this is going to be the hardest but most rewarding thing you will have to do the only bit of advice that has ever stuck with me is from a very rich old man.
    he said that it doesn't matter if you can buy a child everything or just a little the happiest children are loved children.
    So depends if your comfortable or not (money) if the later start saving I would start buying clothes bedding diapers depending on how your baby will be fed milk formula and set up a bank account added to it as and when as for sleepless nights what me and my partner find best is take it in turns me one night her the other
    Last edited by Spook; 03-25-2015 at 01:03 AM.

I would love to help out, but I have come to the conclusion that I have zero idea on how to raise kids. Sorry.

Spend all the time you can with them, because when they become adults, you will only hear from them if they need something.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Spend all the time you can with them, because when they become teenagers, you will only be summoned by them when they need something.
    Fixed for you.

Congratulations! I am nowhere near an expert but some little tips: no two kids are alike (even your own), can never have too many diapers or wipes, always bet the over on times they will poop while away from home. But seriously, start stocking up on diapers, if you or your girl is good on couponing, you could get the whole first year for about half of what they actually cost. Buy the book what to expect when you're expecting, so much stuff happens to a pregnant woman, it's nice to know what she's going through as well as the baby. And save money if you can, both for the baby and so you can pay the babysitter for a night out when you need one. You will be surprised everyday by the little humans, I'm always learning with mine.

Congrats!
    I just went through the same thing, We have 2 now, a 2.5 year old and an 11 month old. If you ever need an ear to listen or ask questions, feel free to PM.

It will change your life

Disciplining, teaching, or talking something out shouldn't be done while you're angry about what was done. Calm down first. Spook's advice is good, too. If and when I have a child, I'll put all of my pocket change at the end of the day into the coffee can for the kiddo. I do that now for emergencies, and it's amazing how much money those things will hold. Congratulations, and good luck!!

Spend all the time you can with them, because when they become adults, you will only hear from them if they need something.
    thats pretty sad.
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Fixed for you.
    Mine are 31, 25, and 21.

No more teenagers.....

No idea on advice or how to do things, but congrats on the kid!

Also.... Splatmaster

Mine are 31, 25, and 21.

No more teenagers.....
    Just saying, that once they become teenagers they rarely acknowledge you unless they need cash. Dang man, you're old!! lol.

Just saying, that once they become teenagers they rarely acknowledge you unless they need cash. Dang man, you're old!! lol.
    Truth.

But the child support is directly to them when they need help, not to mom any more.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    thats pretty sad.
    But its pretty much the truth though unfortunately.

thats probably true, but once they become adults, you'd think they would enjoy there relationship with there parents again. almost all of my friends still have good relationships with there parents, even i have a pretty decent relationship with some of my friends parents. im going to lunch with my mom on friday, probably talk about my brothers new girlfriend, and she will probably try to convince me to marry mine. we are both adults, i don't need or want to ask her for anything.

you'd think by 35, you'd be well into the adult/adult relationship with your parents. no longer only appreciate them for the money.

But its pretty much the truth though unfortunately.
    that is very sad. what happened?
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 03-27-2015 at 04:36 PM.

I think the figure that they put on it now is you will be needing 500,000 to get him/her to 18yrs old. Start saving be getting him /her a life insurance policy for that amount(500,000). When he gets to 18 or so cash it in and get your money back! Good Luck with that!
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

they grow up really fast! take lots of pics and video if you can. I started my great niece out watching Winnie the Pooh around the age of 1 when it came time for bed and we have gone thru most of the Disney movies since then(something I liked to watch). it helps you to get them into a routine as early as possible. stock up on pacifiers.

Babies are easy, its all about common sense. Its either feed me, change me, play with me or put me to sleep. Todlers and older are difficult. They don't listen, they make messes everywhere, they get dirty in a blink of an eye, they love puddles and water, they break EVERYTHING, cost an arm and a leg but are all worth it.

But here is a quick list:
    1) don't stock up on diapers. You won't know the starting size, so unless you can return them, it's useless
    2) don't stock formula. You never know if the baby will need that super special brand, when you already have 6 cases of the basic
    3) the child will get EVERYTHING in their mouth. Unless it is crusty, filthy, otherwise brush it off, cause it will end up on the ground again.
    4) never be afraid to ask friends, family anyone for help. That is what they are their for. When you can get that afternoon off, it makes coming back to the child that much better.
    5) babies bones are soft, they will roll off a bed/couch/whatever. They will cry, but no need for trips to the hospital.
    6) when in doubt ASK YOUR PARENTS. They raised you, so they know a thing or 3 about babies
    7) Do Not get new furniture, rugs or anything new. It is pointless as the babies will pee, poo, throw up, spill or use permanent markers on it. That's a fact
    8) its all common sense, you use it
    9) baby showers are great, go with someone who has had children and ask what they think
    10) be patient. Every child does things at their own pace. Some learn how to run before walking, others barely talk till 4 or 5, then you can't shut them up.
    11) the faster you get them out of diapers the better. Also look at reusable diapers in your area and compare the costs versus disposable

And congrats. Now convince the misses that you need to buy a baby a new Mag that they can grow into.
    Last edited by Nobody; 03-25-2015 at 11:50 PM.

wow guys didn't expect so many responses and congratulations but in any case, thank you!

guess i'll start saving moneys, and rhino lining all the furniture.

My advice is invest twice as much time/energy/emotion into your partner as you do into your kid.

I have 4 kids and they require a lot of time and energy and effort and money. My wife and I don't have enough money to invest more of that into each other, but we make sure to put our relationship with one another first. Our kids see that and appreciate it and it makes home life much better for everyone. Our kids see parents who pour all their effort and money into the kids and very little into one another. They sometimes wish they had more stuff like those kids do, but they never envy their home life.

+1

That is some SOLID advice there bowcycle!

Quote Originally Posted by bowcycle View Post
    My advice is invest twice as much time/energy/emotion into your partner as you do into your kid.

I have 4 kids and they require a lot of time and energy and effort and money. My wife and I don't have enough money to invest more of that into each other, but we make sure to put our relationship with one another first. Our kids see that and appreciate it and it makes home life much better for everyone. Our kids see parents who pour all their effort and money into the kids and very little into one another. They sometimes wish they had more stuff like those kids do, but they never envy their home life.
    That was certainly a good post.

Have the good character that you want your kids to have.

First off congrads. I dont know of anyone tgat is totally prepared to be a parent but the fact that you are asking questions is awesome.

Here is some advice that helped my wife a ton after giving birth. Find someone (most likely a hippy or midwife) who can capsulate her placenta. It might sound gross but it really helps the women get through post partum because of all the vitamins it contains. Here is a basic article explaining it:

http://americanpregnancy.org/is-it-s...encapsulation/

Honestly look into it cause the women needs as much help as she can get aftrrwards and remember: happy wife happy life.

I'm afraid to click the link.

I'm afraid to click the link.
    Lol yeah actually if you have a weak stomach for blood then avoid the link I just posted. The opening photo isn't too pretty, but its all part of the miracle of birth.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8ermog View Post
    Lol yeah actually if you have a weak stomach for blood then avoid the link I just posted. The opening photo isn't too pretty, but its all part of the miracle of birth.
    I was there when my daughter was born, it was pretty gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8ermog View Post
    First off congrads. I dont know of anyone tgat is totally prepared to be a parent but the fact that you are asking questions is awesome.

Here is some advice that helped my wife a ton after giving birth. Find someone (most likely a hippy or midwife) who can capsulate her placenta. It might sound gross but it really helps the women get through post partum because of all the vitamins it contains. Here is a basic article explaining it:

http://americanpregnancy.org/is-it-s...encapsulation/

Honestly look into it cause the women needs as much help as she can get aftrrwards and remember: happy wife happy life.
    i dated a girl whos hippy room mate always did this (she was a midwife)

it was weird and creepy and a bad idea

I'm thinking you wouldn't get any guys to consume placenta and almost no women.

Yuck

I'm thinking you wouldn't get any guys to consume placenta and almost no women.

Yuck
    esp when they find out some hippy chick half drunk and possibly high took there placenta, and put it in pills in the kitchen sink of there kinda crappy apartment.

that kind of "medicine" we can do without thank you very much.

Congratulations!

Best piece of advice I can give you: make sure both of you are on the same page on how to raise the baby. Discuss as much as you can up front and be open for discussion later because your opinions or circumstances may change. If you're not a team, all three of you will be miserable.

Have you seen that commercial where a mom is shown with the first baby and then later is contrasted with the third? It's pretty true. We went from having a wiper warmer, diaper genie, and mandating that all changings will happen at the changing table to cold wipes, plastic grocery bags, and doing changes anywhere around the house (hopefully a changing pad was close, but it wasn't necessary).

Have the discussion early about how you will handle crying babies at night. Are you going to let them cry it out or are you going to go in and soothe them. There are good articles about doing both... you do not want to try and figure it out at 3AM.

My wife would recommend breastfeeding, but that's a deeply personal choice. If she's wary of doing it, at least listen to the lactation consultant.