Thread: Armageddon Reg Orings

Armageddon Reg Orings

Does anyone know if there is information to be had about for urethane o-rings used in the Armageddon regulator, size and durometer?
    Trying to contact Shane O, searches show he's the guy to contact but I haven't heard anything from him yet.

Check on Ebay, once is a while rebuild kits surface. Also I think the Ninja guys are the old Air America guys, so they might be able to help.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    bah, i only have half of an armageddon regulator, unfortunately. i guess the other half went with the bottle. if you need any info about the apocalypse / apocalypse 2k / raptor rex / violator regs, let me know lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    Check on Ebay, once is a while rebuild kits surface. Also I think the Ninja guys are the old Air America guys, so they might be able to help.
    I'll check with N, thanks.

Just sent Shane a email, I'm thinking about putting together my own kit. I'm not sure if the Buna-N orings will work but was going to try them if I can't get the information from Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Just sent Shane a email, I'm thinking about putting together my own kit. I'm not sure if the Buna-N orings will work but was going to try them if I can't get the information from Shane.
    I would imagine most of them should be urethane.. but I am not sure. I haven't cracked open a 'ghedon in years.

Yea they're urethane but urethane come in different durometers, was hoping to get exact specs.

Also I think the Ninja guys are the old Air America guys, so they might be able to help.
    Just found out from Ninga, Air America is now Immortal Air.

Just found from Ninga, Air America is now Immortal Air.
    I was close.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    here is a pdf manual for the armageddon regulator. here's a picture of what i've got; click for full res:

once the snap ring was removed, the internals can come out. i had to pound mine out with a mallet and wooden dowel.

the outer o-ring on the piston seal carrier appears to be a 70-duro 017 (same size as a reactive valve reg body o-ring). it was soft and turning clear, which seems consistent with an old 70-duro o-ring just before they turn to mush. at least, i've never had a 90-duro urethane o-ring turn soft and clear in any of my 'mags. the inner o-ring is a 70-duro 016. the two o-rings on the outlet pressure adjustment strut are 90-duro 006 (same size as reg piston assembly o-rings / on/off top / reg valve pin o-ring). these would be a real pain in the butt to change lol.

someone who has a complete regulator should be able to tell you what size o-ring the outer arm assembly is. they would just have to remove the o-ring and measure the outer diameter of the channel that the o-ring rests in, then match it up to an o-ring that has the same nominal inner diameter. here is a handy o-ring chart which shows the o-ring size as well as the nominal dimensions. i would assume this would be a 90-durometer o-ring just like all tank o-rings (or at least, all good tank o-rings lol).

hope this helps!

I have 006 duro 90 orings. Might even have the 017 in urethane as well. Need to check supplies.

Cyco, thanks for sizing those for me, ordered some today.

Rebuild kit contents (not sure if it helps):

3 X 012-90 Piston orings / Apocalypse on/off drum

2 X 008-90 Apocalypse on/off saddle oring

3 X 006-90 Quickfill Fill Nipple Strut and Armageddon Adjustment strut oring

2 X 116-90 Unireg Series Body Oring (Black Ice, Violator, Raptor Rex) / Armageddon Arm Oring

2 X 016-90 Apocalypse Body oring

3 X 018-80 Vigilante & Messiah Body Oring

3 X 016-70 Armageddon Seal Carrier / Messiah &Vigilante piston oring

2 X 015-90 Bottle Orings

Walker
    O.F.P.P.A. - OLD FARTS PAINTBALL PLAYERS ASSOCIATION
    When you wrap-up the day with beer and Bengay.

pressure adjustment strut are 90-duro 006

This is definitely wrong, just got the orings in and they are too small.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    This is definitely wrong, just got the orings in and they are too small.
    larger would be too loose. 70 duro would stretch over easier. really, 90 can fit, you just need to make a tool to stretch the o-ring onto the shaft....like a cone, or something. these are probably all machine-installed. i said it would be a pain in the ass...
    Last edited by Cyco-Dude; 04-10-2015 at 04:29 AM.

I'm only referring to the 006 90D. Comparing the new to the old there's a visual difference in size.

You can even see it in the picture (Not running the black Buna)>

However, I just measured the shaft and the bore it fits in, and the 006 would be the correct fit with stretch and compression. I guess I'll stretch the piss out of it and install it. I'm just unsure how to explain the old oring unless it retained the stretch when it got old, originally I was thinking it might be a metric oring...

Cyco-Dude Guest
    I'm only referring to the 006 90D. Comparing the new to the old there's a visual difference in size.
    yeah i know what you're talking about...it likely got stretched out. i seriously doubt air america would use a metric anything! 'MERICA!!11

but i was thinking of getting a small cone to help stretch the o-ring onto the shaft. i was looking at all of my pen tips to see if i could use those, but they were all too big. if you got a pencil, you can see the o-ring can stretch to 1/4" ID easy. imagine if it was made of polished ss, and lubed, it would be no problem. you can try other o-rings...yours might be old and hard. they are the same o-rings as the rtp on/off top / reg pin assy o-rings. you could boil them to make them softer too.

I hate metric anything too (lol) but the good thing about metric orings are they give you in between sizes that come in handy in designing parts.

I already have an idea for installing these, making an install tool should be easy...

I hate metric anything too
    Little off topic, sorry.

This is one thing that stumps me. I can't figure out what's not to love in the metric system. It makes the calculations so much easier. (This always reminds me of the episode in American Choppers where they try to figure out the correct measure in fractions of inch. )
    I do understand that of course you get used to the system you're grown with.

I was caught in the middle of the metric change-over here in Canada years ago, so I still use both. I prefer the metric system because everything is base 10. It is so easy to take measurements and make minor adjustments.

I suspect the orings in the Air America products are indeed inch sized and not metric. These are the most common sizes off the shelf.

I would use 90 durometer orings in any high pressure regulator. The 70 will stretch to fit better, but the stretch also causes the orings to deform and get pushed out of place in high pressure situations. Unless you want to pick your orings out of any tiny crevises and vent holes in your regulator, stick with the stiffer orings.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Got the orings installed.
    I tapered a piece of 1/4" brass using a drill
    soaked the orings in hot water for about a minute or so
    installed orings on the brass piece
    put in vice
    oiled with silicon oil and slide into place on shaft.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Got the orings installed.
    I tapered a piece of 1/4" brass using a drill
    soaked the orings in hot water for about a minute or so
    installed orings on the brass piece
    put in vice
    oiled with silicon oil and slide into place on shaft.]
    there you go; exactly how i would've done it!