Thread: HP Tank Blowing O-rings???

Question HP Tank Blowing O-rings???

I up'ed the out put pressure in my reg & the O-rings are blowing. Im also using 2006 O-rings, but they didn't blow before the pressure up. Is their a stronger O-ring I can use?

Its a combo of old Orings and upped pressure. More pressure you put behind an Oring . better quality it needs to be to survive. Old Orings degrade. So although they still work at pressure a. They can't withstand the higher pressure B.

Which oring is blowing? I would assume it is the oring on the bonnet that seals when screwed into the ASA. Check for sharp edges in your ASA where the oring starts to seal as you screw the bottle in. If the ASA causes the pin to be depressed before the oring is fully engaged on a flat surface, it can push the oring against the shart edge and cut it. Even if the pin is properly engaging, the same thing can happen when you unscrew the tank, because the ASA is fully pressurized. It might have worked before, but the new higher pressure may be giving the extra push to make the cut on the oring.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    Which oring is blowing? I would assume it is the oring on the bonnet that seals when screwed into the ASA. Check for sharp edges in your ASA where the oring starts to seal as you screw the bottle in. If the ASA causes the pin to be depressed before the oring is fully engaged on a flat surface, it can push the oring against the shart edge and cut it. Even if the pin is properly engaging, the same thing can happen when you unscrew the tank, because the ASA is fully pressurized. It might have worked before, but the new higher pressure may be giving the extra push to make the cut on the oring.
    Yes, its the bonnet O-rings. Good tip, I'll check out the asa for sharpness, if none of the above works out im going insde the reg & check out the internal O-rings for blown ones. Thanks much guys...

Still working this out & as soon as I get it I'll be spreading the Good News...