Thread: Gumbie Question on Range

Gumbie Question on Range

Hey folks,
    I bought a bunch of markers three tippmann 98s, a pump, and my mini mag on craigslist. I rebuilt with new O-Rings and a few parts all the tippmanns. We tried to get a general idea of speed by shooting groups at the same range as we don't have a chrono.

When playing in the desert behind our fire station my mini mag won't reach, while my opponents with the tippmanns can light up the yucca I am hiding behind mine is dropping off ten feet before them. I know that when i turn the valve on the rear of the minimag it will start to leak air when it is maxed out. My question is is just before it leaks air that the mini mag reaches the max velocity and range, or is there a sweet spot below this?

If there are any other tips for getting more range out of my marker I would greatly appreciate it. I have a 14" barrell and we tend to play with whatever paint someone picks up as we take turns buying a box.

Thanks in advance for the help, also does anyone know where to access the original auto mag how to videos?
    Last edited by beautifulisblue; 07-27-2015 at 12:03 AM.

That which does not kill us, cripples us for life.

you might need a different barrel. being out in the dry air your paint is probably too small for your barrel as most twistlocks were made for the larger paint back in the day(presuming you are using a twistlock) also when you get a chrono almost all fields keep it under 300 fps.

It is apparent from your posts that you are new to the hobby. As Vintage said, most fields keep it under 300FPS as to keep things fair. You should invest in an handheld chrono if you plan on playing outside of a sanctioned field where you are required to chrono before playing. If they "have more range", they are shooting hot and need to turn their velocity screws in to lower their FPS. It is located on the left side if I remember correctly and is a little screw that interrupts the flow of air down the powertube lowering FPS.

I'll pick up a chrono after our next fire roll when I have a good paycheck. Are there any barrels that would likely better fit today's ammo?

Paint sizes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and even batch to batch. The best way to get a good paint to bore match is by using a barrel kit that allows you to use different sized back or inserts to change the control bore of the barrel. It will help with efficiency as well as consistency. One example is the Freak Barrel kit. However, by the sounds of it, you have an older SS body that uses Twistlock barrels and these backs can vary in price. I typically sell them between $50-60 depending on condition, but occasionally you will see them higher. All depends on the demand and availability at the time you are searching. I believe Goinghome here on AO has a full kit for sale. Probably your best best, but still most likely more than you paid for the entire marker.

Thanks OPBB I'll look them up today. Im not really looking for an edge, just to level the playing field. I bought five markers so I could take friends out and we can play behind our desolate wildland fire station.

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulisblue View Post
    Thanks OPBB I'll look them up today. Im not really looking for an edge, just to level the playing field. I bought five markers so I could take friends out and we can play behind our desolate wildland fire station.
    If you chrono at the same FPS the playing field is level. Rather than trying to meet their FPS by raising yours, lower theirs.

When playing in the desert behind our fire station my mini mag won't reach, while my opponents with the tippmanns can light up the yucca I am hiding behind mine is dropping off ten feet before them. I know that when i turn the valve on the rear of the minimag it will start to leak air when it is maxed out. My question is is just before it leaks air that the mini mag reaches the max velocity and range, or is there a sweet spot below this?

If there are any other tips for getting more range out of my marker I would greatly appreciate it. I have a 14" barrell and we tend to play with whatever paint someone picks up as we take turns buying a box.
    If the minimag vents then you have exceeded the maximum safe velocity for a level 7 mag. This is usually quite a bit above the safe value of 300fps. If you haven't got the range of the other players and you are using a 14" barrel, then it is very probable that the velocity of the other guns is well above 300fps and should be turned down.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

The mini mag came out at 275 and the tippmann's were in the 240s. So it seems getting a barrel kit might be a good next step?

I do have a twist lock barrel. I tried searching for goinghome's profile but wasn't having much luck on my phone. I just started a two week fire assignment so if anyone sees one on the forums I'd love to know.

So I got the chrono and the mini mag was running 275 and the tippmanns were running 240s.
    So it seems one lack of range might be the cheap paintballs allowing to much air to pass around the paint ball.
    A minimag shooting 275 shouldn't be venting, even with a barrel that is oversized for the paint. Also, an oversized barrel will be inefficient, but not to the extent you are experiencing.

The tippmans shooting 240 shouldn't be outranging the mag shooting 275. The only way that can happen is if the balls have a lot of spin. You should be able to see that if the balls hook sideways or down on the mag, or possibly if the tippmans impart a backspin like on the flatline barrel. Otherwise, since gravity causes all balls fired from all markers to accelerate towards the ground at the same rate, forward velocity dictates how far the ball travels before it hits the ground. The only way that changes, is if the gun is tilted up so that some of the barrel imparted velocity is in the up direction, allowing the ball to travel farther before it hits the ground.