Thread: Help Me Choose My Next Marker

Help Me Choose My Next Marker

The recent "What's your favorite non-Automag/Autococker marker?" thread got me thinking maybe I should try something else. To recap, I've owned a Spyder, Automag (Classic to ULE), Autococker (mech to E2), Maverick, Nerve, and an X-Mag. Due to the responses in the aforementioned thread for the Mini/Axe platform, I'm leaning that way, especially since it appears to be a poppet/spool hybrid. I'm interested in something that functions differently than what I've already owned. I think I've covered poppet and spool valves, so let me know if there's some other mechanism out there that I'm missing.

I'd preferably want something used, since I'm quite happy with my current arsenal. The new marker would just be for tinkering at first. That said, I guess I'd rather spend a little more up front to get some of the newer features, so I can tell if I like it better than what I've got. If I have to spend more than, let's say, $500, I'll need compelling evidence why. It can be another poppet or spool, but again, I'd want compelling evidence of night and day differences to what I've already owned.

Please give me your opinions. Thanks.
    Last of the Salzburg Clan

I can get you an awesome deal on a new one if you want. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    I can get you an awesome deal on a new one if you want. Let me know.
    Please PM me the details. Thanks.
    Last edited by nak81783; 10-11-2015 at 12:26 PM.

Used Axes are very inexpensive these days, try your local Craigslist.

Saw one for 250 recently.....

Then, just like a mag, let the upgrades begin !

http://www.wickedsports.com/c-227-marker-body.aspx

I've got a very gently used Axe Pro on its way. Should be here Saturday or Monday. Time to see what all the hype is about. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by nak81783 View Post
    Time to see what all the hype is about.
    Be careful about hype; the axe isn't going to change your life or anything. They just are reliable guns that shoot surprisingly well for how they are priced. Oh, and they have that lifetime warranty thing going on, too.

My 2nd Axe.

Went down to Wicked Sports and picked up a ripper body for it, maybe Saturday I'll get time to put it on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBeans View Post
    Be careful about hype; the axe isn't going to change your life or anything. They just are reliable guns that shoot surprisingly well for how they are priced. Oh, and they have that lifetime warranty thing going on, too.
    What?! You mean I can't pay to improve my game and be invincible to paint breaking on me? Has anyone told that to all the Little Billies?

But seriously, I appreciate your input. Like I said in the OP, I'm just looking for something that functions differently. I think the reason I've not purchased many markers throughout the years is that I realize they won't change much about the game and they all function pretty much the same.

What?! You mean I can't pay to improve my game and be invincible to paint breaking on me? Has anyone told that to all the Little Billies?

But seriously, I appreciate your input. Like I said in the OP, I'm just looking for something that functions differently. I think the reason I've not purchased many markers throughout the years is that I realize they won't change much about the game and they all function pretty much the same.
    Haha yup. Just didn't want you disappointed because of the "it was the best movie ever!" effect. I'm sure you'll love the axe. Honestly they shoot kind of similar to how an automag feels, so if you like mags you'll like the axe plenty!

RT pro, I just happen to have an extra one for cheap

Ha, I just sold my buddy's RT for him. I was tempted to buy it. The trigger pull was somehow far superior to my Automag and X-Mag.

I have a ripper on mine and love it. However, I might just have to get another after seeing nummech's fireaxe bodies.......they look very nice!

I contacted Nummech About their gas thru drop forward. The current one doesn't work on the Pro, but a new one will be out in a couple weeks. He sent me a prototype picture. It looks great. Much sleeker than the existing one.

The trigger is going to take some getting used to. The magnet on the E2 and X-Mag are at the top of the trigger. The magnet is fully engaged at the beginning of the pull, which gives more of a "sear break" feel. In addition, the E2 is optical, and the X-Mag is HES. The Axe feels mushy, since the magnet repels at the end of the pull, gradually increasing. Then, the switch spring and actual switch button stack on top of that. We'll see if I notice during play.

Reminds me of why I didn't like the Nerve...

I'll have to see if I can mount a magnet to the air transfer plate to attract the forward travel set screw.
    Last edited by nak81783; 10-25-2015 at 07:31 AM.

Very nice !

Heres my new one with Ripper body in place.

The Brothers.

Thanks. I've been watching yours progress in the "Non-AGD" thread. It kept me excited to receive mine.

The trigger is going to take some getting used to. The magnet on the E2 and X-Mag are at the top of the trigger. The magnet is fully engaged at the beginning of the pull, which gives more of a "sear break" feel. In addition, the E2 is optical, and the X-Mag is HES. The Axe feels mushy, since the magnet repels at the end of the pull, gradually increasing. Then, the switch spring and actual switch button stack on top of that. We'll see if I notice during play.

Reminds me of why I didn't like the Nerve...

I'll have to see if I can mount a magnet to the air transfer plate to attract the forward travel set screw.
    I switched from spring to opposing magnets on a DP G3 I built. If memory serves correctly, the magnet attracted to the solenoid body, giving the trigger a nice break. One of the best triggers I've ever felt in paintball, and unique. If there's enough meat in the Axe, you could install a set screw to "hold" the trigger. It'd still have a very light pull, but have a snap to it.

For now, I have a steel washer taped to the air transfer plate and an E/X-Mag trigger magnet taped to the top of the trigger. Works great for trial purposes. I will glue them if I decide to keep it. I might also mill the front of the trigger to accept the magnet. There's not a much adjustment left in the trigger, because the magnet and washer take up so much space. Couldn't get two magnets in there.

You could try some shim stock,or I have bicycle disc brake caliper spacers that are .010" thick that would probably work. You wouldn't have to mill anything and it would give you more adjustment room. Any bike shop worth its salt should have shims in stock for a few cents.

I was thinking shim stock as well. But now, I'm thinking I should have tried a Level 10 shim; I think they're magnetic. Thanks for the suggestions.