Thread: no-rail automag

no-rail automag

I've been trying to google search this a bunch of different ways with no success.

I saw this picture in the archive galleries and would like to know what kind of frame that is and if anyone else has done similar projects.
    I'm pretty sure I have seen build threads like this before, but I haven't been here for almost a year with work and travel so I can't remember how to find any of those old threads.

Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Do a search. There are a few posts about them in here. Can't remember who. Designed and built them

they were just a retro fitted frame.
    nothing really that special.
    but a neat idea

a bit of milling was involved I do believe.

pretty easy to replicate if you have the means.

personally they looked funny to me.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    Do a search. There are a few posts about them in here. Can't remember who. Designed and built them
    I've been searching. I've used google and searched here and MCB. If you know some terms that will get me there, I definitely don't mind doing my own research. I'm just hitting walls trying to find terms that will get me to these build threads.

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags View Post
    they were just a retro fitted frame.
    I was trying to figure out if it were some sort of WGP frame. The trigger looks similar to an E1, but the frame is different. Just trying to figure out where other people started.

Quote Originally Posted by bowcycle View Post
    I was trying to figure out if it were some sort of WGP frame. The trigger looks similar to an E1, but the frame is different. Just trying to figure out where other people started.
    yeah is a cock frame

those were eclipse cocker frames modified by XMT to his customers specs. Cant remember who he did them for butnthe guy called them mcfly frames
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

thanks, guys. super helpful.

I never could figure out why you'd want to go thru all the trouble to do that.

Cant be for looks, and the weight savings would be minuscule.

Changing the geometry could possibly make the gun act different, or possibly be harder to tech.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    I never could figure out why you'd want to go thru all the trouble to do that.

Cant be for looks
    I know everyone is different. I rarely vote for the winners in the MOTM contests.
    I'm not a huge fan of this particular marker, but I think the idea has huge potential. By knowing what frame was used, I can determine what the frame requirements are and potentially use other frames (CCM 45* hinge, here's looking at you).

I don't think the geometry changes much. It seems that the distance from the body to the sear pin is the same, the sear pin's position laterally doesn't change, and the only change to the sear is the length of the sear rod.

Here's the sale thread on MCB that does a better job of explaining the process and has more photos.

We'll see what comes of it.

Specifically, that is an ANS hinge frame. Almost an exact clone of the Eclipse blade frame. ANS also made a 90* version which was almost an exact clone of the Jackal Machine 90* hinge frame. Both of those are basically 90* versions of the eclipse blade frame..... And we have come full circle.

I picked up one of those frames.

Quote Originally Posted by wetwrks View Post
    I picked up one of those frames.
    One of the ones timmyjay sold?
    Mind sharing your experience with it?

IMO, as little as you save in weight, you are limited on how you mount the ASA or how you can not mount a foregrip.

If you like a minimalist approach to an already minimalist gun, then i think you are going backwards. IDK, there is no one way you should build a gun, ergo if you like it, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bowcycle View Post
    One of the ones timmyjay sold?
    Mind sharing your experience with it?
    Actually...I have never even used it. Sitting with a mess of oddball parts that I hope to one day build up. BigEvil seemed supprised when he saw some of what all I have gathered.

Last edited by wetwrks; 02-11-2016 at 10:36 PM.

Here is a project I am taking over. A cocker Eclipse frame that was turned into a frame/rail combo by TimmyJay and XMT I believe. I'm like the 4th owner. Here is what it used to look like:

This is what I plan to do with it:

I had a cap for a classic valve so I want to put it yo good use. The phantom ASA and AKA angled adapter look like they will work well together. I had LUKE mill a rail into the bottom of the frame. I'm sending the frame and trigger out to get blasted and coated black.

Just don't know if I'll cut down the ULE or leave it. So far I haven't seen any issues with the location of the sear set. Should work well.

The weight will be more then a normal classic mag with ULE with the AKA reg and heavuer frame, but its more about how small it will be and the looks for me.

Here are more pics:
    http://www.pbase.com/rgunn4/eclipse_frame_mag

excited to see how this lands, Sk8ermog.