Thread: Getting back at it

Getting back at it

So my one of my sons is just coming of age to play paintball and really wants a new gun. I still have my minimag lvl 7, but haven't played in about 20 years. I used to run CO2 on it but was never really happy with the way it ran. Looking at getting a HPA tank to use but not sure on the right pressure or size to use. I see 3000 psi and 45000 psi, yet the rated psi for the valve on the mag says "rated for 3000 psi". Does that matter? I've also heard some guy at a shop say not to use HPA on a Mag because of the pressure output and to stick with CO2 (didn't agree but am not knowledgable enough to counter). Any help would be great.

Hpa was forced in to paintball partially because of mags.... Don't use hpa... HA!!! If buying new a ninja SL SHP bottle would be the way to go. Your never gonna feed 3k to the valve even if the bottle holds 4500. With the shp you can set the output where you would want it. Anywhere from 850ish to 1100 ish.

Things have definitely changed in the last 20 years. Despite the ability to use C02, Mags are much happier on HPA. The 3000 and 4500 psi tanks you are seeing can both be used without problems. HPA output on most tanks is around 800-850. Do not get a high output or low output tank for a Classic valve as it is not necessary...stick with the common output of 800-850. 4500 psi tanks are more expensive, lighter and hold more shots than the 3000 tanks. Let your wallet be your guide between the two tanks. Both require hydro testing every five years.

Thanks!

really what you are looking for is a bottle that is 4,500psi and a size that is either comfortable or allows the number of shots you need per game. These are the 2 big factors for choosing a bottle size.

Regulator wise:

If you have a standard classic valve any regulator that outputs 800+psi will be fine. If you do have an rt valve you can go with another regulator that out puts more.

be sure to look around at the different companies and what all is offered. alot of people lean towards ninja. There are alot more companies making tanks than when you ran C02.

Do they no longer make CF Wrapped 3k tanks that have 3 year hydro requirements? most of the 3k tanks I had way back when were

The mainstream is 4500 psi CF wrapped and 5 year hydro. I've not seen a 3year hydro since my nitroduck system back in the late 90s.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BiNumber3 View Post
    Do they no longer make CF Wrapped 3k tanks that have 3 year hydro requirements? most of the 3k tanks I had way back when were
    nah, they've moved on to 4.5k...the 3k stuff is all aluminum. also, most of those older carbon fiber tanks were moved onto a 5-year retest cycle. i think if they were made on or after june / july of 2000? i don't recall exactly when.
    Last edited by Cyco-Dude; 03-29-2016 at 02:43 PM.

You'll probably want a rebuild kit from AGD, the o-rings decay after a while, especially in the garage or attic. The mag will probably work for a weekend or two, or until you take it apart for cleaning, then start leaking.

Another thing I noticed after digging my automag out after 10 years was that there was an improved power feed plug, which cured my chronic paint chopping.

You missed the rate of fire wars where we actually tried to play with a rate of fire in the mid 20s per second. Not a terrible miss on your part.

The AGD level 10 bolt is a nice thing.

I love seein posts/threads like this , WELCOME BACK , play with a vengeance !!!