Thread: Can anyone explain the Pneumag thing to me?

Can anyone explain the Pneumag thing to me?

I've moved recently and come across my box of mag stuff, which has led to a desire to tinker. Could someone explain the whole pneumag concept to me? I get the operational principal - but why? What are the advantages and why would someone do this and loose the RT, or ULT that already exists with the purely mechanical markers?

Thanks!

-Calvin
    From a poster at PB Nation:

""Jim, back to your cave. Bob Long is on the batphone..."

MY FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by cledford View Post
    I've moved recently and come across my box of mag stuff, which has led to a desire to tinker. Could someone explain the whole pneumag concept to me? I get the operational principal - but why? What are the advantages and why would someone do this and loose the RT, or ULT that already exists with the purely mechanical markers?

Thanks!

-Calvin
    The pnuematic actuation of the sear makes the trigger pull WAAAAY lighter than the ULT kit.
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Because the trigger pull is short, fast, and light, comparable to an electronic trigger. I can't speak to other pneumags but the T-Rex does not exactly lose the RT with the proper LPR tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I can't speak to other pneumags but the T-Rex does not exactly lose the RT with the proper LPR tuning.
    To RT a pneumag, you still need a higher-than-normal output tank and a really good LPR. I have a pneumag that uses a Palmer's fatty LPR, a MacDev reg with 900 psi output, a ULT with lots of shims, and a MAC-43 valve (which has a built-in QEV), and I can get it to RT or not RT. It just depends on LPR tuning.

But I've built other pneumags with lesser quality parts (like WGP bullet LPRs or Guerrilla tanks), and I can't get them to RT at all.

Quote Originally Posted by cledford View Post
    I get the operational principal - but why?
    Um....because I can?

For me, it's mostly about the mechanical challenge of it. I like to tinker. It's like playing with Lego blocks, except you then get to go out into the woods and shoot someone with something you've built yourself.

But honestly, whenever a buddy tries out my pneumag and says that he wants one too, I tell him to just go buy a Mini. Or an Axe or anything else. Because if you don't care about the process and the fun of building it yourself, you might as well save your money and time. You can get a nice used Etek for less than what it costs to build a pneumag, and it will be lighter, smaller, more efficient, etc.

I did a pneumag because some fields said "no RT". Electros were ramping and I wanted to shoot a classic mag. It's fun when you are on a team of 20 people in the same jerseys, the refs are trying to figure out who was holding down the bunker, and they skip over you because you're holding an "old mag".

I kind of ruined it by making it an electro-pneumatic mag. Now it is "electro", "uncapped", and shoots up to 14 bps. *sigh*

I had my first pneumag was built by pneumagger back when they first started becoming a thing and is still my primary. AT the time fields around me were enforcing the "no RT" rule and I wanted to be able to keep up without going electro. Now it's funny because the RT rule is practically unknown and most fields will allow modes as long as it's capped at 12.5. So my 16 year old Mag is pretty consistently the fastest firing marker on the field. Then when people try to fire it themselves they are so accustomed to eyes and buffering that the end up with -> shot, chuff, chuff, chuff, blooper, chuff, blooper, shot.

A non-electronic mag capable of competing with electronic markers.