Thread: 300 FPS Correct Muzzle Velocity Benchmark?

300 FPS Correct Muzzle Velocity Benchmark?

Hi Guys,

We're testing the properties of some new rounds compared to traditional paint.

Should our test marker be set to 300 fps muzzle velocity on the standard paint round? Or what is best benchmark velocity?

- AtomicPickle

I know that lots of guys set their markers for 300 fps because that's the max that fields allow, and there is some common sense to that. If everyone else is shooting at 300 and you've got your marker set for 275, you will have a range disadvantage.

Still, I usually set my markers for the 270-280 range. I find that I get a lot less breaks that way, and more accuracy. The paintball seems more stable in flight at those speeds.

a number of fields chrono to 280

280fps is the industry standard on field velocities. But, protective gear is and should be tested to survive above that limit. Any dynamic testing should be at the limit of 300fps as that is the top of the scale, with the mean being 280fps.

300fps is the standard. Many fields use 280fps so that there is a measure of safety for those that like to push the envelope and set the velocity at max allowable.

I always found that 280 worked fine. I have even used as low as 260 if I was playing in adverse conditions or was using odd shaped paint. Lower velocity gives more stable flight. The higher velocity shots use a lot more energy and the extra wind resistance quickly reduces the velocity anyway. The impact power at 100ft out isn't that much different at 280fps than it is at 300fps. Up close there is a significant difference.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

I could never come across hard evidence, that somewhat lower fps would result in an increase in accuracy (nor did I ever notice....)
    so I`ll go out on a limb and claim if theres any change its neglectable (if u have a punkworks clip on it pls link it)

and if u dont play against woodies covered in hard plastic mags, u need any fps u can come across to prevent bounces,
    aswell as any decent marker should be expected to handle fragile paint at 300 fps without problems
    ofcourse youre right with air consumption, but 12g phantoms aside - when does it really matter if u can shoot half or 3/4 case without refilling?

just my take on it

I only bring 1k (260 loader & 4-190 rnd pods) with me onto the field, most markers will do this with no issues on a 68/4500 including mags.

Good balls will fly straight at all velocities. An odd shaped ball will have a tendency to spin off its intended trajectory. More force applied will increase the amount of spin. Like any object, it takes significantly more energy to get even a small amount of increase in velocity at the operational velocity of a paintball. So, for a small increase in velocity, you will get a large increase in spin when used at the higher operational velocities. You won't find much hard evidence in written numbers. Most tests are done with controlled lots of sperical balls, because the tests are designed to test the equipment without the balls being a factor.

The power required to move an object through a fluid (air in this case) is a cube of the velocity, so it has a significant affect. This is just the effect of air slowing down the ball. This does not take into account the extra power required to accelerate the ball to the higher velocity within the confines of the barrel. The actual force of air on the ball causing the negative acceleration is a function of the velocity squared.

Its not the maker handling fragile paint that is the problem. Most can. Its the inaccuracy of odd shaped paint in adverse conditons that is the problem.

Its also not an air consumption issue. We have unlimited air and large bottles. It is about energy that causes spin.

It comes down to being a numbers game for breaks in adverse conditions. A lower velocity that gets 50% of the balls on target at 50% breakage nets a 25% ball breakage if you hit the target. A higher velocity that gets 10% of the balls on target with a 90% breakage nets only 9% ball breakage if you hit the target. Which would you rather have? An accurate marker at a lower velocity that hits the target more often with a farely good chance of breakage, or one that rarely hits the target but breaks when it does? The numbers are just thrown out there and aren't actual recorded values because each situation is different. But based on observation, I'd bet they aren't far off from reality.