Thread: Barrel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Barrel

If you have one choice for a barrel what would be the best
    For a 68 automag

Twistlock body: Find an older one piece All American (made before the lawsuits )

Autococker threaded body: DW Null

With either body style, don't waste your money on a barrel kit. Today's paint varies quite a bit. Go overbore (those listed above will be plenty big enough), and call it good.
    Last of the Salzburg Clan

Quote Originally Posted by nak81783 View Post
    Twistlock body: Find an older one piece All American (made before the lawsuits )

Autococker threaded body: DW Null

With either body style, don't waste your money on a barrel kit. Today's paint varies quite a bit. Go overbore (those listed above will be plenty big enough), and call it good.
    Yes twist lock body
    I'm not familiar with the lawsuit on the All American
    But if I cannot find one whats the next best

Quote Originally Posted by Scottprocurot View Post
    Yes twist lock body
    I'm not familiar with the lawsuit on the All American
    But if I cannot find one whats the next best
    Finding one shouldn't be to terribly hard. A million of them were sold back in the day. Personally I still like my old dye UL barrel. I've got to agree with yhe above. From what I can tell today's paint is not the quality of the 90s. It's also not the price of the 90s either.

Ditch the twistlock.

If not go with an Doc Nickle twistlock adapter.

A mid to large bore(.685+ size) go with 1 barrel, a Dye UL or even a Lapco.

If you don't want roll outs, picking up a freak bored barrel or even a freak style barrel will cover all possibilities. I would go with a Stella barrel from Inception Designs.

Other than that, run what you like. Opinions and use will always vary from person to person.

Armson, Smart Parts, J&J, Dye all made good twistlock barrels. the problem is that todays paint is averaging .003 to .005(or more) smaller than the paint back when twistlocks were the only option. I have models by all of the mentioned manufacturers and it depends on the paint you have that day as to which is most accurate. I also have 2 E Mags and run into the same problems with their ac threaded barrels. I usually carry a half dozen and just pick the one that seems to work best that particular day.