Thread: aluminum shell hopper?

aluminum shell hopper?

this is a machine keen community, would it be possible to make say.. a dye rotor with an entirely aluminum shell and feed tube? thanks

You could probably get one machined. Spendy for sure. You could get one 3d printed in metal. It would cost a bit also

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smallerfreeze View Post
    this is a machine keen community, would it be possible to make say.. a dye rotor with an entirely aluminum shell and feed tube? thanks
    Way more than you will want to spend.

Just do a regular hopper hydro dipped if you are wanting to match anno.

How well does hydro dip hold up on a hopper?

How deep are your pockets?

lol i was more wondering if it was possible... i dont necessarily want one made... but if i did would it be about 400 bucks?

lol i was more wondering if it was possible...
    They machined the molds...

i dont necessarily want one made... but if i did would it be about 400 bucks?
    Name:  funny.JPG
Views: 231
Size:  17.2 KB

lol sorry i have no idea about machining costs.. so if it is possible.. and it would actually work... how much would it be luke??? a thousand plus??? thanks for the replies also

lol sorry i have no idea about machining costs.. so if it is possible.. and it would actually work... how much would it be luke??? a thousand plus??? thanks for the replies also
    For me to entertain the idea you would have to say "I dont care what it cost". Then we can talk.

Based on all the custom 1 off parts I've had done for motorcycles my shot at the hip guess was well over a grand for 1 off.

so i learned new things today.. it was a good day.. im guessing the price is part of the reason i have never seen or even heard someone talk about this? ... all in all if this can be done.. and hasnt.. its sparked my interest

That and the current crop of good loaders are lighter.

Any time you do a 1 off, you will be spending a lot. 4 figures would be an easy goal to reach.

Plastics in this regard are much easier proposition. Vinyl or hydrodipping are much cheaper options to getting a hopper to match your gun.

A hopper would almost have to be cnc machined. And that is a lot of programing time. Then you have setup time. And one large block of AL. All and all injection moulding polymer hoppers is lighter and cheaper. And they flex vs dent. Other than a collectors piece a machined hopper would not be a bonus on any scale.

thank you blackdeath.. this has been really helpful.. i went in thinking like if dye already had it.. cant they just make it out of aluminum and charge like 4 or 500 bucks??? ... it really makes sense now when i understand all that has to go into a 1 of

They could probably be stamped from sheet aluminum too.
    ......You know you want one!!

I thought about doing an aluminum shell for years, but instead of machining it I would probably just hammer one out and weld the halves together and hand finish them with files and sanders. However all my personal projects always end up at the bottom of the list where I never find the time to start/finish them.

Name:  sand bag.JPG
Views: 81
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  31909960.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  21.5 KB how i feel around people that actually know their **** about machining and automags

To get something like this rigid enough to take a shot without denting, the thickness would cause weight higher than most people would want. Although, you could make a thinner aluminum shell with some sort of polymer sprayed on the inside to give it additional surface strength to help prevent denting and bending. It would sort of be like an aluminum foil over plastic.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Loguzzzzzz View Post
    They could probably be stamped from sheet aluminum too.
    for full production they would have to be to keep the cost down.

If I was going to do something nutty like this, I'd go all the way and use Ti sheet.

Sure I'd have to watch out for galvanic issues, but a little marine grade anti seize Would be all your need I think

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritchaser View Post
    If I was going to do something nutty like this, I'd go all the way and use Ti sheet.

Sure I'd have to watch out for galvanic issues, but a little marine grade anti seize Would be all your need I think
    you can anodise titanium too

No. The memories I have of actually liking rainbow Ti anno are to difficult to reconcile with my psyche...