Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is this even safe?

Luke: nice stack of dimes. I learned a thing or three watching a world class welder. It looks like good welding.

Smallerfreeze: you could be right, that though the valve is ugly, it might still work, but more to the point, that it failed before, you have no history of who did the work, the previous owner wants nothing to do with it and because of the pressures associated within the dump chamber itself, it failed once, it can fail again. If the valve was something ultra rare, ultra unique then it might be worth trying to repair it. But a minimag valve, even early on, is not uncommon, nor better or even worth more than a regular classic valve.

You have a good standing offer to not only replace a possible hazard, but at no cost to you (shipping washes out). We in the community would rather meep you alive, uninjured and shooting a mag. It may not be the one you purchased, but you will be able to enjoy it none the less. This is not any ill will towards your intelligence or experiences, but from everyone here, who has seen this is in total agreement to not even put air to it and see if or when it will fail.

Is there any reason the OP can't take Luke's advice to simply thread a new powertube on? This eliminates the weld but let's the OP keep/use the remainder of the valve?
    Last of the Salzburg Clan

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman View Post
    I think you are missing the point. We here at the Automag Community want this valve OUT of circulation. Somewhere down the road you will tire of it and it will be back on the market again for some other poor sucker to deal with. The valve is dangerous and we want it gone forever.
    This was basically my interest in the valve and I think i have another valve that has the powertube tip that is good.

I think you are missing the point. We here at the Automag Community want this valve OUT of circulation. Somewhere down the road you will tire of it and it will be back on the market again for some other poor sucker to deal with. The valve is dangerous and we want it gone forever.
    danger valve will die with me tunaman... never in a million years would i even give someone the valve
    Matthew 10:34

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Luke: nice stack of dimes. I learned a thing or three watching a world class welder. It looks like good welding.

Smallerfreeze: you could be right, that though the valve is ugly, it might still work, but more to the point, that it failed before, you have no history of who did the work, the previous owner wants nothing to do with it and because of the pressures associated within the dump chamber itself, it failed once, it can fail again. If the valve was something ultra rare, ultra unique then it might be worth trying to repair it. But a minimag valve, even early on, is not uncommon, nor better or even worth more than a regular classic valve.

You have a good standing offer to not only replace a possible hazard, but at no cost to you (shipping washes out). We in the community would rather meep you alive, uninjured and shooting a mag. It may not be the one you purchased, but you will be able to enjoy it none the less. This is not any ill will towards your intelligence or experiences, but from everyone here, who has seen this is in total agreement to not even put air to it and see if or when it will fail.
    im not trying to be unintelligent by turning down an offer to exchange the valve... i just dont have a problem with keeping the valve.. atleast for parts inside and buying another complete one

Somewhere down the road you will tire of it and it will be back on the market again for some other poor sucker to deal with <----- negative

I wouldnt have fired it without asking u guys regardless

SF, there's an old machinist I meet awhile back that's retired, he's been asking for some work. If you want to remove the power tube and send it to me I'll get you a bid to have one made. I have no idea what he would charge but I can ask. I believe there's a thread in the workshop started by Hill that should explain how to remove the power tube. I've done them before but I dont want to mess with them any more. The thread had to do with efficiency inserts, if I can find it I'll bump it to the top.

Name:  1d68FgM.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  117.9 KBName:  GNAjUoO (1).jpg
Views: 89
Size:  51.2 KBName:  XZUpgcP.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  101.2 KB ... i took tunamans advice on the lagoon RIP danger valve.. everything else looks good

Quote Originally Posted by smallerfreeze View Post
Size:  101.2 KB ... i took tunamans advice on the lagoon RIP danger valve.. everything else looks good
    Had i seen the weld going out to the threads i would have said the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by captian pinky View Post
    Had i seen the weld going out to the threads i would have said the same thing.
    Ah, yes. There it is.

So...just curious here... on a physics level... if it did fail... how bad could it be? I mean... if it was aired up it would be in body... I guess I am just curious if the explosive force would be enough to overcome the structural integrity of the body?

I know the typical operating pressure/input is 800PSI... but obviously if you reduce surface area PSI increases... so does the PSI go above the operating pressure/input at different parts of the valve?

Thirded.

That thing just kept getting more and more ugly. And bad.

OP, to echo Nobody's point, there really wasn't anything about that valve that made it ultra-desirable. It wasn't one of the really old ones, so no worries there.

And even if it had been, whomever wrecked it would have taken all the value with it when he did.

So you needn't worry about a lost treasure, or anything like that.

Of course, speaking of lost treasure, now all we need is a final scene, post credits, where some random diver from the distant future sifts through the murky depths and finds something cylindrical and shiny.

It has strange lasered markings, and appears to be part of a valve of some sort with odd welds and grinding marks on it.

The diver can't be certain, but he thinks it may be part of the ancient, fearsome paintball marker known simply as 'The 'Mag'. With the sage advice of a mystical mustachioed guru recorded on VHS, the diver and his engineer buddy will put together all the pieces they've collected, rob a museum, and with a little luck, they'll get it back up and running in no time . . .

Fade to black.

If you have to ask if something is safe.. it probably isn't.

If you have to think about it, its probably not worth it.

Nice

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

And very true

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Good job. You have earned a spot on the AO team for sure. Tom will be very happy you did this.
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Quote Originally Posted by Mondoatx View Post
    So...just curious here... on a physics level... if it did fail... how bad could it be? I mean... if it was aired up it would be in body... I guess I am just curious if the explosive force would be enough to overcome the structural integrity of the body?

I know the typical operating pressure/input is 800PSI... but obviously if you reduce surface area PSI increases... so does the PSI go above the operating pressure/input at different parts of the valve?
    i think this is worthy of some techie speculation... i dont know but i was starting to think worst cast scenario is literally everything in my hand, my tank my hopper and my goggles would all blow up

It's a titanium valve and they're all after your lucky charms! Run for the hills!

Nah jk.
    yes, i could have purchased something new for the same money.

i realized shortly after i dropped it that i missed a once in a lifetime chance to take a picture of it hitting the water......... Name:  59297-terminator2_576pyxurz.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  57.0 KB ... this is probably what it would have looked like tho

i think this is worthy of some techie speculation... i dont know but i was starting to think worst cast scenario is literally everything in my hand, my tank my hopper and my goggles would all blow up
    I'd be worried more about schrapnel of some sort...created by the weakening of the metal from welding it. It doesnt look like they checked it for 3000psi when they were done.

i have a feeling someones gonna try to call me out on age
    I have a new hero, although I didnt find out his name.

I did find out that he is 73 and was playing paintball today with the rest of the cool kids.

Felt good to not be the oldest kid at the field for a change, finally !

I'd be worried more about schrapnel of some sort...created by the weakening of the metal from welding it. It doesnt look like they checked it for 3000psi when they were done.
    That is exactly what I was wondering about with my thoughts of the body failing... basically... would the body contain the explosive force or fail also FURTHER adding the the shrapnel from the valve... scary to thing about...