Thread: Facebook Questions...

Question Facebook Questions...

So I'm trying to figure out this facebook thing. I think i'm a little confused of what it is for paintball. What makes you guys want to use it more than AO, PBN, MCB, CC, etc....? I'm assuming people like the buy/sell/trade aspect of it as well.

I'm liking....

-Easily connecting people and tagging for questions and answers.
    -Pictures / Albums

Dislike....

-Is it just a giant timeline?
    -How do you go back and search?
    -How is it organized?

Its a fakebook run by a globalist fake human.

I feel the theory police shooting their fake rays at me already, wheres my tin foil head protection ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    So I'm trying to figure out this facebook thing. I think i'm a little confused of what it is for paintball. What makes you guys want to use it more than AO, PBN, MCB, CC, etc....? I'm assuming people like the buy/sell/trade aspect of it as well.
    It's all about numbers, a great deal of the population is plugged in.

And most of the questions are datamining about you.

Love it when they ask for your name without certain letters...that gets them your real name every time.

Facebook Questions...

I use/browse AO, MCB and few others daily anyway. FB for me it is easy way of staying in touch with what's trending in my own tailored social bubble (do not kid yourself to think it's anything other than that. The algorithm keeps feeding you stuff that you like/interact with. ) I don't use it for bst.

For Paintball specifically (for me) it's keeping in touch with my tournament team and our events/training, learning what's happening in the tournament scene, getting the media coverage.

And unlike Allen thinks, you don't really need to give that much information about you or your private life if you don't want to.

I'm liking....

-Easily connecting people and tagging for questions and answers.
    -Pictures / Albums

Dislike....

-Is it just a giant timeline?
    -How do you go back and search?
    -How is it organized?
    I believe that in the various pics, comments and or what we view as threads on a forum; the notifications from facebook give you the ability to see the replies brought to you, instead of searching the forums. Get notification, bring up that exact thread up and respond (or not). Its that instant gratification of having it delivered to you as opposed to going out to visit.

But searching for something specific, or someone is well, sucks. You have to literally back track through the beginnings of galleries, or through various people to find anything.

I can see the benefits, especially with people, family & friends who haven't or can't visit. Yet, the behind the scenes marketing, and the acceptance of how facebook HAS to be there, i don't like. My will is still eroding to joining, so i can't say never, just not now.

Oh, and careful of where you ask questions about facebook. The wizards behind the curtains do not like people sniffing around for truths

we seem to answer a lot of technical questions on facebook and give a lot of appraisals also. it is easier and faster to load a picture of your markers for people to see as well. i purchased my tropical jungle micromag 2000 off of there but that has been the only one. i check this forum every day whether i log in or not and also mcb as well. the bst threads can be a problem as facebook has a tendency to lump them in with real firearms and delete them if anyone complains and the facebook police are active.

I'm probably in the minority here but... Facebook is better and more intuitive in every way than message boards. I log in once and I have one click access to every group I'm in, and every page I manage. If somebody has a mag trouble shooting problem we can comment tag BigEvil. If somebody is looking for a particular part we can comment tag Captain Pinky, or anybody else we happen to know is looking to move that part. That notify's them that somebody is looking for their input.

Images are WAY easier to work with. You can paste screen caps right off your clipboard. Edit, crop, etc.

I give exactly zero craps that Facebook is data mining me and selling me info to companies because I; am one of those companies, and like seeing ads for things I'm actually interested in. On message boards (that have ads) it's usually for "You'll never believe what this celebrity wore" or any number of click bait BS. My info is the price I pay for the service. I think it's a damned good service. I talk to friends and family all over the country that I would never otherwise call. I get to see what everyone is up to, organize events, offer and receive help.

There are two ways in which AO's format is superior:
    1) Archiving information
    2) Information organization

Facebook is much more conversational vs. search by topic. It's also many times more active. Funny though, you can always tell who the AO guys are on FB (the ones who know wtf they are talking about).

My 2 cents, AO should have a Facebook page. I know some AO members are mods here:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/168280856711468/

PGoP hit the nail right on the head
    I also think there is a lot more viewers to the Mag pages over there , if your BSTng F book is the place to go

This is also very true ; Funny though, you can always tell who the AO guys are on FB (the ones who know wtf they are talking about).

i think one of the things that makes fb used by more people is almost everyone has their phone with them always(i'm not allowed at work) and if they are working on a mag and have a question they get an answer back very quickly. i seem to see a lot of new mag owners there also, i don't know how many i have sent to AGD or Tuna for rebuild kits or other parts. if you could get AO to work like fb it might get more action.

its also a great way to keep up with what TOM is doing at the moment.

I much prefer the forums to FB. The wife has been on it for years, and she doesn't like it either.

In fact, many of my friends who got into FB early on are sick of it and on their way out.

I guess some people find it simpler, other don't.

Glad we have options.

Nobody is NOT on Facebook

+1 for Facebook.

Ouch!

Shots fired.

Fb is good for instant timewaster. And mass of peoplw. Other than that forums win hands down. Problem is forums are dying to FB. I'm on a lot of motorcycle dragrace forums. All we're once booming and now are a ghost town because everyone went o FB. The loss of true searchability for frequently asked questions. Or just so you don't repeat a semi frequent question sux. But alas. I've sold off all my old bike parts there. And have almost built my new dragbike from parts purchased there because that's where the customers and suppliers have went. Don't even get me started on the "need" for 5000 pages dedicated to the same item. It's like every pms child on the planet thinks they need to control a page and now I'm forced to use it if I'm hunting for something key. Grrrrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    Nobody is NOT on Facebook

+1 for Facebook.
    Good for Doug.

Something we agree on.

We raised over $3k for the texas hurricane victims. The event was promoted on Facebook, some forums, and i sent out at least 50 PMs on the downlow asking for donations.

Here is the breakdown;
    $3400 raised due to Facebook promotion
    $75 via forums/ pm. ($0 from ao, btw)

Relevance is not even debatable.

Are you counting all pms from all fora in that second figure?

Quote Originally Posted by Menace_AO View Post
    Are you counting all pms from all fora in that second figure?
    Maybe add $100 cus we had such issues sending it I truthfully forgot.

While im against standard raffles on fb.

I do agree when they are done in certain circumstances when the raffle was done to help his kid that had cancer. There have been many things that fb is good for. However how to and many other things have been lost to forums just because of photobucket. It would be nice to go back and catalog everything.

I don't use it, or Twitter.... And don't seem to miss it.

Walker
    O.F.P.P.A. - OLD FARTS PAINTBALL PLAYERS ASSOCIATION
    When you wrap-up the day with beer and Bengay.

I am on Twitter but really have no use for it other than to harass politicians.

The FB raffle thing can be crazy sometimes, but who cares.

Thanks for all the replies guys. After looking through facebook with my wifes account... (btw, she is wondering why she is getting so many pop-ups of automag stuff...) I can definitely see why people choose to use it. The B/S/T aspect of it kicks all other websites in the butt. It is such an paintball rich environment right now, I can totally see why people want to handle their business over there. I can't imagine how many deals are being struck being PMs over there.

What weirds me out is the fact that you do not own any of the posts or media that you have embedded on Facebook. One change in the terms of services and BAM, blank pages. (Remember photobucket... ) I feel confident that the time I spend on AO won't vanish all in one swoop because of reasons outside our control.

I started to look at pbnation and wonder if they feel the same way. It seems like their social media side of the house is good, but I wonder if their page views are any different. I'm going to do a deeper dive to see how each of their forums are doing. I feel like there are so many different forums, that most don't get updated that frequently.

It doesn't really matter since I'm not leaving anytime soon. I'll drop by, put a new coat of paint on it, and drive up to NJ for pork.