Thread: should the RT on/off fit flush to the valve?

should the RT on/off fit flush to the valve?

I have an RT valve that has started giving me some trouble (double-shooting sometimes, bolt sticking other times), and when I was taking it apart and putting it back together, I noticed that the on/off assembly doesn't sit flush with the bottom of the valve. As a result, the valve fits very, very snug when it's inside the body. It's so tight that the valve doesn't pop back when I take out the thumb screw, and I'm wondering if there are some alignment issues, which are in turn causing my shooting issues.

This is the best picture I could get. My phone doesn't like to focus when I get too close.

Name:  non-flush rt on-off.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  52.0 KB

It doesn't look unusual, really. I have another RT valve with another RT on/off, and when I'm looking at them, I can't really tell which is which. When I put the bad valve in a body, though, it sticks, whereas the other valve slides in easily.

As best as I can tell, this is what's causing the issues with the valve. I've already changed the o-rings, I've cleaned it, I've oiled it, I've tuned the Level 10, and I've tried installing this valve on other markers (so I know it's not an issue with the sear or the body or the rail).

But if the RT on/off is the problem, how do I fix it? Can I file down the part that's sticking out? Should I just order a whole new assembly?

did it screw together all the way? maybe one of the o rings is the wrong size or something.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    did it screw together all the way? maybe one of the o rings is the wrong size or something.
    Good idea, but that wasn't the problem.

It was actually two problems. First, apparently I dropped the valve at some point and dinged the part that slips into the body. A few seconds with a file fixed that problem. But even after filling it down, it wouldn't fit into the body of the gun I usually pair it with. At least not when it was put inside the right way. If I turned the valve 90 degrees, I could get it in. So it turns out that body was actually warped. It was a few thousandths wider than tall. But I squeezed it in a vice gently to even it out. Now it's working again.