Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Hybrid RTP Rails

Problem with this is you would have gaps at the bottom of the rail and top of the grip frame.

Attachment 100030

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post

so you will be releasing a rail with no z loc channel?

Quote Originally Posted by JimBobFett View Post
    I was going to mill down an rt pro rail to make that... but i was going to go to 1/2" wide around the sear slot
    You just can't go 1/2" wide, it's too narrow, it's narrower than a grip frame.

(or maybe some windows into the sear pocket shaped like either a series of holes or like the indents on the ule rails to give it an even slimmer look. .
    I dont think it's coming through in the CAD how small this actually is, you may need a full mock up to see it.

That part sticking out behind the grip to support the valve seems boxy.. how about either a 30-45 degree slope or step? Hell, I was gonna cut it off 100% but I get it... maybe a little meat for the valve.
    There's less than .625" sticking out past the frame, it's not enough to angle it and make it look right, IMO

I do like this though, and it does look tapered down in the back.

It's the second coming of the micromag, lc version.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Problem with this is you would have gaps at the bottom of the rail and top of the grip frame.

Attachment 100030
    Me personally... Im okay with that. Not a 'gap' but yeah, narrower than the frame. Im okay with that.

You just can't go 1/2" wide, it's too narrow, it's narrower than a grip frame.

I dont think it's coming through in the CAD how small this actually is, you may need a full mock up to see it.

There's less than .625" sticking out past the frame, it's not enough to angle it and make it look right, IMO

I do like this though, and it does look tapered down in the back.

Oh, yeah... that taper... that did it. Good idea. Okay, so without going narrower then or ule style dimples or holes: but that would technically leave more meat than what you have there... hmmm... okay, I get it. Thats pretty much the smallest & lightest you can go with a rail. Im down for a couple!
    Last edited by JimBobFett; 08-21-2018 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags View Post
    so you will be releasing a rail with no z loc channel?
    What's it really good for anyways? The thumb screw keeps things lined up. Sure, it keeps the regulator on, but so does the elbow fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam V View Post
    It's the second coming of the micromag, lc version.

I was thinking nano-mag or nano-rail. I dont think you can even go much smaller without going narrower than the frame or dimples like the ule rails.

keeps the back half of the regulator safe.

I like that style a lot, are you doing pre-orders? If not, how far off from release are they?
    I'll probably get a dealer thread up towards the end of the week and then do rails in a few weeks after that. I'm not doing a preorder with minimums but I would like to sell some up front to know what to make. Some of these designs may not be a regular shelf item, but I really don't know at this point, we'll see how it pans out.

I have one question, would you be willing to do a one off and make one that accepts winged trigger frames. Just got my hands on a z grip and wanna use it on this. Don't wanna mill off the wings on the frame.
    There would be added fees but I sure we can work something out.

Right on, looking forward to it.

I would love to see the ultralight rail with flat sides all the way to the back the width of the minivert frame, no lock pin channel, and keep the round up front that would work a standard winged mag ASA. Also the length of an RT to keep the grips spread out

Would these rails still need to be notched for a warp body?

Quote Originally Posted by yadoo View Post
    Would these rails still need to be notched for a warp body?
    Depends on the design.

Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    and keep the round up front that would work a standard winged mag ASA

The design would work except for the winged bottom. It would only be possible to mill the front of the rail for that ASA dovetail because the frame is 3/4" wide, wider the the narrow part of the wings on the ASA. It probably wouldn't look right just milling the end, why not just switch to the RTP style?

The design would work except for the winged bottom. It would only be possible to mill the front of the rail for that ASA dovetail because the frame is 3/4" wide, wider the the narrow part of the wings on the ASA. It probably wouldn't look right just milling the end, why not just switch to the RTP style?
    The only 'good' reason I have is that my deadlywinds foregip is AM style and not RT. I like the feel and look of it. I would of course be in the minority and it would by no means be deal breaker. I like the idea of the rail and frame looking like they are one piece and being the same width from back until ASA achieves that.

I was going to mill down an rt pro rail to make that... but i was going to go to 1/2" wide around the sear slot
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I would love to see the ultralight rail with flat sides all the way to the back the width of the minivert frame, no lock pin channel, and keep the round up front that would work a standard winged mag ASA. Also the length of an RT to keep the grips spread out
    The picture below explains both inquiries about making the rail narrower than the grip frame and also putting an Automag doveltail detail to the bottom of the Ultra Mini Rail (The grip frame in the picture is a Mini Vert).
    The top of the rail is the same width as the grip frame, that's the gap I'm talking about, it's even worse on my newer frames because the trigger guard does not step down in front like the Intelli and MV frames.

I'm discontinuing all Automag rails once my inventory is gone because no one is making winged frames anymore and the Automag sear and pin is an inferior design on the high performance end of Mag designs. The Hybird Rail design is an attempt to retain the attractiveness of the Automag rail but fits modern frames properly and perform on the high end. We're loosing the ASA mount but no one is making winged frames anymore, it does not make sense to continue to support that platform, maybe DW can update his design(?). Personally I like the taller AM ASA over the factory RTP ASA, so in antisipation of making the move to the Hybrid rail I released the new RTP style ASA's. AM rails dont sell well at all, it just no longer makes sense to rent shelf space to them any more.

Yup, Im cool with a gap. I was thinking making it bigger to make it look like less of an accident and more of a design element... then adding rows of 1/4-3/8" holes along where the sear is, windowing it... a 'skeletonized' rail.

It will have to be a one-off, hit me up when the thread goes up in the dealer forum in the next day or two. I'm only making a few of the short slugs so you'll need to gets dibs up front as I plan on making the ones I posted. I'm not going to make it a habit of doing these little rails without the valve groove at the back.

hit me up when the thread goes up in the dealer forum in the next day or two. I'm only making a few of the short slugs so you'll need to gets dibs up front as I plan on making the ones I posted. I'm not going to make it a habit of doing these little rails without the valve groove at the back.
    I’ll be contacting you for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like there will be 14 mini slugs made, that is as long as the machining gods don't step in between now and the completion and demand their cut. (lol) There will be no leeway in length, over-all length will finish at 5.69" and will be flush to the front of Intelli style grip frames.

It looks like there will be 14 mini slugs made, that is as long as the machining gods don't step in between now and the completion and demand their cut. (lol) There will be no leeway in length, over-all length will finish at 5.69" and will be flush to the front of Intelli style grip frames.
    Sounds good. Just out of curiosity... does this length mesh up well with the z, z2, m90 & y-grips? I'd look for myself but Im working away from home for the week.

Sounds good. Just out of curiosity... does this length mesh up well with the z, z2, m90 & y-grips? I'd look for myself but Im working away from home for the week.
    Intellies, MV's, LCMP90 will fit the Mini Ultra. As for the other's you'll have the ask the designers if they matched Intelli spec for the trigger guard length. The Z2 'TOP' matches the Intelli length but the trigger guard juts out past the end.

Just use the Intelli as the base measurements for all other frames.

Name:  20180822_164444.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  77.9 KB
    More of an automag question in general, but I don't think I've ever used the hole marked "?" What is that for anyways?

That is the twist lock pin hole for stainless steel body barrels.

Twistloc mechanical pin for bodies that use twistloc barrels
    Edit Haha luke beat me to it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Slug rails are done, I'll get a dealer thread up for anyone looking to get a new rail.

Ultralight Hybrid

The old style was a little narrow at .65" wide and left a little gap on a standard frame between the frame and rail. I widened this to .75" so it will match exact to the grip frame. I was also able to do away with the center bumps that were there for the sear pin.

I'd love one of these in 9"(ule body length)and slot milled.
    Maybe make the foregrip area contoured to an emag battery housing or your lot grip

That is the twist lock pin hole for stainless steel body barrels.
    So sort of like the AM rails, does anyone really use the old mag barrels with newer rails?

What I'm getting at (and sort of what Taco might like too) is using that space instead for an alternative forgrip mount with horizontal bolt holes. Either one hole from left to right that mounts can be clipped onto, or a single longitudinal bolt hole out the front.