Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hybrid RTP Rails

I like that rail, either length.

Is there going to be a body to match anytime soon ?

Not a fan of the fishtail on a rail, the rails look fine, I just cant get used to the fishtail...

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    I like that rail, either length.

Is there going to be a body to match anytime soon ?

Not a fan of the fishtail on a rail, the rails look fine, I just cant get used to the fishtail...
    I do have plans on doing a run of standard slug bodies, it's likely the next big project and Armada bodies would be included in that project. As a side note, bodies would match the RTP, Automag and Hybrid 9.1" rail versions.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    It doesnt really translate in pictures, but I'm diggin it, I wish I had that setip 20 years ago.

Rail weighs 1.3 ounces.

I think the valve support is about right, shouldn't have any problems
    Slickness. Yup... one of those "How come we haven't seen this before now?" things.

This is a Gamma-8, it's 2.2oz and still very sturdy. Do they really need to be lighter than that?
    Yes, yes they do; 1.3 oz., lol!

I got your nano mini down to 1.1 oz.

Two more JimBobFett inspired designs.

I've built out the small slug rails so what's in inventory is it for these.

Ultra Mini 3

Ultra Mini 4

Both of the rails weigh in at 1.1 oz. each.
    Last edited by luke; 09-08-2018 at 05:18 PM.

Ultra Mini 3

Ultra Mini 4

Ha! Just saw this now... take my money please! I just dropped $1200 this week on PB stuff and I don't want to be back in the dating scene though any time soon, so can I order those in a couple weeks? They do look slick.

Sure, there's 4 each in stock..

I've been workin' on somethin' too. It's kinda funny how the Ultra Mini 3 is following a similar path it seems: I modified that RT length ultra-light design to get rid of all the straight angles and allow it to be either right angles or fillets for everything. It ended up looking rather "Art Deco" and I'm diggin it. Maybe add in those small (1/8"?) cross drilled holes and I think it would be a rather sharp piece. I narrowed the top width around the sear even more (3/8"!) since then you don't need to mill out the inside much at all and since the base is still 3/4" wide over the frame it should be plenty strong. Imagine how a ULE body would look on that!! If there are any tweaks just let me know but I think I want to get this made. Is this easier than the other one with all the angles? How much $$$?
    Name:  DecoRail1.JPG
Views: 340
Size:  46.3 KB
    Name:  DecoRail2.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  22.5 KB
    Name:  DecoRail3.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  51.6 KB
    The more I look at the foregrip mount I keep thinking it looks so close to a picatinny rail... I wonder if a hybrid picatinny slotted foregrip is possible. Sure would open up a world of foregrip options!
    Name:  DecoRail4.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  35.7 KB
    Name:  DecoRail5.JPG
Views: 326
Size:  33.9 KB
    I think I'll call it the "DecoRail"
    Last edited by JimBobFett; 09-14-2018 at 06:13 AM.

Maybe something like this over the front frame screw support wings would look better... the general idea is there though. All the fillets can be done with a 1/4" ball tip bit.
    Name:  DecoRailV2Detail.JPG
Views: 318
Size:  50.6 KB
    Ooo, and Rocket Bunny Fenders for the Sear Pin, lol:
    Name:  RocketBunnyDecoRailFender.JPG
Views: 355
Size:  34.2 KB
    Name:  RocketBunnyDecoRail2.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  30.7 KB
    Almost looks like a 1920's hood ornament!
    Last edited by JimBobFett; 09-13-2018 at 11:46 PM.

Many of those details cant be replicated on a milling machine, the design would translate into something close but much of the design is impossible. Here's a small example of what wont work in the design. I would need a lot of leeway in the concept to make it work.

Ultra Mini 3

Ultra Mini 4

Can the Ultra Mini 3 be made to AM/MM length? I would love to do this rail with a foregrip slot

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Apathetic_Chaos View Post
    Can the Ultra Mini 3 be made to AM/MM length? I would love to do this rail with a foregrip slot
    Sent you a PM.

Many of those details cant be replicated on a milling machine, the design would translate into something close but much of the design is impossible. Here's a small example of what wont work in the design. I would need a lot of leeway in the concept to make it work.

Yeah, I'm assuming those places you marked up and just about all the inside corners would have fillets in them. That's just fine. It was getting late and I just ran out of time to put them all in. That's what I get for doing it at home on SketchUp rather than at work with Inventor. Do you think much else would be different? I tried to make it all 'squared off' with all the angles I once had replaced with 1/8" fillets. I didn't put the cross drilled holes on either.

So far the narrowest around the sear has been 3/4" or just under, but if the cross section is made into an inverted 'T' then the top of the rail along the body can shrink down to ~3/8" and then there isn't really any ULE milling left to be done on the inside. The foregrip mount needs to be 1" wide (or would 3/4" be enough?) to be stable for most grip mounts it seems, but the top can shrink down I figure... still need a little wider than the sear though for screw heads to get down into the slot.

Then, with all that narrowness, and to help support putting a foregrip mount back on, I widened the body around the bolt points to 1"... the front one really lending to the grip mount in front of it. Technically, the back valve support could be cut off like the Ultra Mini's but it just started looking like a 1920's hood ornament with it so I left it. I'm liking the whole asymmetric valve support. Overall just trying to take the skeletonized slim look of the Ultra Mini's to the extreme but then add back in a feature or two that might make it a lot more appealing to most.
    Last edited by JimBobFett; 09-14-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBobFett View Post
    Yeah, I'm assuming those places you marked up would have fillets in them. That's just fine. It was getting late and I just ran out of time to put them all in. That's what I get for doing it at home on SketchUp rather than at work with Inventor.
    I feel like this rail would look pretty killer on a galactic z body...

That's sort of what I was trying to do as well with the Deco Rail... I like the whole 'forget the foregrip' for most of my builds, but sometimes you want at least an AM/MM length mount. I have been pondering alternatives to the usual mount though too. I'm thinking Lego Technic... a slim, maybe 1/2" wide hunk of metal with cross drilled holes to run holes through like some actual gun rails. The only downside is that then the mounting hardware is exposed on the sides. Still, maybe an 'add on' was my first thought. Instead of changing the rail, drill & tap a hole in the existing rail on its front... sort of like a smaller version of a banjo bolt on an Autococker. Then make up some new grips that slide around the front and bolt on there.

I mean, overall, unless you have some rare VD foregrip, a DW CF, or one of Lc's tube foregrips, the selection of foregrips for Automags just plain sucks. Not that you really need a lot for a foregrip besides a pipe with a flange at one end, but there is a lot of potential there that usually goes overlooked.
    Last edited by JimBobFett; 09-14-2018 at 05:07 PM.

I feel like this rail would look pretty killer on a galactic z body...

Damn, good call.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBobFett View Post
    Do you think much else would be different? I tried to make it all 'squared off' with all the angles I once had replaced with 1/8" fillets. I didn't put the cross drilled holes on either.
    No major changes, just enough to machine the rail so it doesn't exceed two setups.

mh53eplt Guest
    l have a Z2 that is in search of a rail.

Rails are now in stock.

Those Armada rails are very nice looking, when are those going to be available?? Will you have them up on your site?

All rails are currently in stock. http://lukescustoms.com/lukes-rt-pro-rails.html

Dang, I like the one I just got off you but wish I had waited for this one. Do you have any design concepts for the body?

Quote Originally Posted by hillg View Post
    Dang, I like the one I just got off you but wish I had waited for this one. Do you have any design concepts for the body?
    I'm pretty sure these were available when you purchased the Wave rail. You purchased an Automag rail, these are RTP rails (Different sears and sear pins) you were shopping on two different pages on my website.

This is AO's Maverick Armada build. Only 4 Armada bodies have been made.

Shame on me for not looking then, with them being RTP rails and coming with different sears and pins, is there anything else that will be different?? Or that I would need to do different?

Quote Originally Posted by hillg View Post
    Shame on me for not looking then, with them being RTP rails and coming with different sears and pins, is there anything else that will be different?? Or that I would need to do different?
    They don't come with replacement sears only new sear pins since the pins are different from the factory pins. The rails will fit all RTP and AM style bodies, Classic, ReTro and X Valves, and RTP foregrips/ASA's

Do you have other bodys coming out other then the Armada?

Sure, but the project is not currently being worked on. The plan is to do a large run of slug bodies, finished bodies will follow. The first body will likely be an Armada body because there are a few guys waiting on them. No hard plans past that but the key to any new body design is slug bodies.

Anyone interested in a Hybrid Slimline rail? I have a customer that just ordered one so if your interested LMK. I'll be making them this week.
    I dont have current plans to stock the Slimline rail.

Image borrowed from Capt Spank

Darn it, Luke, I just ordered 2 of your automag rails for my current builds, I'm on the fence about getting a hybrid rail or 2 for future projects, now you have this styling. Why for do you like tempting us!?!??!?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk