Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Hybrid RTP Rails

I still use those old mag barrels. In the process of getting a couple of stainless bodies for them. The fact that Luke is making them is a godsend for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

So explain something to me.

You are going away from the RTP axle screw because its too wide and the stock placement and dimensions limit the milling options. Why not just shorten the screw? Certainly an easier method while maintaining stock retention specs.

Why have 2 set screws hold down the new dowel? As far as i know, the body sandwiching the rail does keep the sear in place, even on AM/MM, which has no retention, it doesn't move. Why complicate matters with it. I am guessing that its 4-6 more operations more to make this. Which i guess, makes it longer and thus more expensive(time wise) to make?

Also, i don't forsee AGD running out of those parts and it seems like adding in extra steps for no real benefit over stock. So maybe i missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBobFett View Post
    So sort of like the AM rails, does anyone really use the old mag barrels with newer rails?
    Yea, there's a ton of stainless bodies out there still in use, there's no reason not to support the platform, all are still valid in the market today.

What I'm getting at (and sort of what Taco might like too) is using that space instead for an alternative forgrip mount with horizontal bolt holes. Either one hole from left to right that mounts can be clipped onto, or a single longitudinal bolt hole out the front.
    It's a standard feature on all the rails I make, and is part of the slug rail design. So really it's too late at this point, the slug rails were completed earlier today. If you would have caught me yesterday or early this morning I could have omitted that for you, sorry.

Over the next few days I'm going to work out a few design ideas I have, once I get a few prototypes made I'll post a sale thread in the dealer forum. We'll start with fresh cut rails this time instead of CAD drawings like I typically do.

I wouldn't mind seeing an eclipse style or even a resurrection of the OSAT.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    So explain something to me
    You.. shall..not...PASS!!!!

I too would like to understand this move. Not saying I dont think it's cool. Just curious.
    Also, if a dowel with set screws was the plan, why not make it only feed in on one side and go with one setscrew then... would have at least kept the lines cleaner on one side of the rail.

Why this design? Because is solves engineering issues of putting a RTP sear into an Automag rail.

Why is the sear hole drilled all the way through? So it can be removed.

I was going to mention 1 thing related but its not so important; is there a bushing available to place on a rtp sear pin to fill in for an am sear?

I was going to mention 1 thing related but its not so important; is there a bushing available to place on a rtp sear pin to fill in for an am sear?
    Not that I have ever seen but I dont think the bushing is what makes it a better system, it's that the RTP pin is secured in the rail.

So explain something to me.

You are going away from the RTP axle screw because its too wide and the stock placement and dimensions limit the milling options. Why not just shorten the screw? Certainly an easier method while maintaining stock retention specs.

Why have 2 set screws hold down the new dowel? As far as i know, the body sandwiching the rail does keep the sear in place, even on AM/MM, which has no retention, it doesn't move. Why complicate matters with it. I am guessing that its 4-6 more operations more to make this. Which i guess, makes it longer and thus more expensive(time wise) to make?

Also, i don't forsee AGD running out of those parts and it seems like adding in extra steps for no real benefit over stock. So maybe i missed something.
    The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Not that I have ever seen but I dont think the bushing is what makes it a better system, it's that the RTP pin is secured in the rail.
    I agree, but im focusing here on being able to convert from an AM rail to a RTP rail without having to change from AM to RTP sear also.

I agree, but im focusing here on being able to convert from an AM rail to a RTP rail without having to change from AM to RTP sear also.
    Huh?

Huh?
    @jimbobfett correct me if I am wrong. But I think he is saying he has an am/mm rail and sear, but wants to buy one of these rails and be able to use his current sear.

Quote Originally Posted by Apathetic_Chaos View Post
    @jimbobfett correct me if I am wrong. But I think he is saying he has an am/mm rail and sear, but wants to buy one of these rails and be able to use his current sear.
    I took it as he has an AM rail and sear and wants to turn in into a RTP setup.
    Last edited by luke; 08-23-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Luke, what are the chances of you opening these up for one offs. I have a project I am in the initial phase of, but would love to be able to send you a body and have you do a custom rail once I get a little further along.

Apathetic got it. Im asking if there is a bushing/spacer to allow using an AM sear with an RTP rail & pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Apathetic_Chaos View Post
    Luke, what are the chances of you opening these up for one offs. I have a project I am in the initial phase of, but would love to be able to send you a body and have you do a custom rail once I get a little further along.
    We can probably work something out.

The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you.
    You are not the universe. I see others that have questions and you would get more people to buy, by explaining yourself on this design choice.

When you make yourself open, then you should not avoid questions just because you don't like them. You can't have it both ways.

You are not the universe. I see others that have questions and you would get more people to buy, by explaining yourself on this design choice.

When you make yourself open, then you should not avoid questions just because you don't like them. You can't have it both ways.
    Everyone here knows your modus operandi so I'm not going to bother engaging you, if you're actually curious about this design then review the whole thread.

Apathetic got it. Im asking if there is a bushing/spacer to allow using an AM sear with an RTP rail & pin.
    IIRC the main holes in the AM and RTP sears are different sizes, meaning you cant put an RTP bushing in an AM sear. I'm sure it could be done but I dont think you'll find anything off the shelf. If you're a machinist you could make one for pretty cheap, but to hire a machinist to make one for you would probably cost more than the $30 it cost to buy a new sear.

I don't mind the new sear setup. Standard sears and pins seem much more plentiful (and cheaper) than RT sears and axles, and I know I get annoyed when the pin falls out and sear starts flopping during disassembly. And for RT-type rails it'd clean up the sides without the threaded hole for the sear axle.

I don't see any glaring cons except for if someone has a boatload of RT sears and axles waiting for future rails. (In that case, message me so I can relieve you of several!)

IIRC the main holes in the AM and RTP sears are different sizes, meaning you cant put an RTP bushing in an AM sear. I'm sure it could be done but I dont think you'll find anything off the shelf. If you're a machinist you could make one for pretty cheap, but to hire a machinist to make one for you would probably cost more than the $30 it cost to buy a new sear.
    Yep, we're on the same page... I'm just saying it would be a good idea to make such a spacer so people can easily convert from AM to RTP rails without having to change sears... plus make everyone dispose of their AM sears, lol. I'm thinking there might even be some metal tubing out there that could just be cut off for this. I've seen the threads where people are discussing the RTP bushings and trying to make them for AM's... don't know if anyone has done it yet.

Everyone here knows your modus operandi so I'm not going to bother engaging you, if you're actually curious about this design then review the whole thread.
    Yes, my modus operandi is to ask questions on something i do not understand. There is nothing secondary to that. I did not bash this or insult you. I read this and from previous threads gleaned that limiting machining operations means lower time to make and lower cost as you spend less time on an individual piece.l, hence why i asked that question.

But the questions i asked and others have said similarly, have not been answered. You putting up a statement is not answering the questions. You coming onto the forum and having a discussion with everyone but who you don't care for is not a good way of doing business. You should answer every and all questions or just be closed and have no discussion about a product till its done.

The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you, and neither am I.
    I have 2 thoughts on this now-edited reply.

1) It really should show that you edited this afterwards. That's kind of scummy. I think I'd be more ok with the comment as it read rather than you playing god in the background, making your posts look like you didn't just compare yourself to the universe.

2) Are we absolutely certain that Rogue and Luke didn't become one person? I'm just saying.....

Mr Bloom, do you need a hug or something? Do a search, it's a quote not a comparison.

Mr Bloom, do you need a hug or something? Do a search, it's a quote not a comparison.
    .........LOL!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you defend the your reply as merely a quote... yet you still edited it. Which is it Mr. Tumbleson?

What was wrong with the edit? I decided the original quote was a better reply as it is in the original text, I didn't feel it needed the part I added. Why do you find that so controversial?

What was wrong with the edit? I decided the original quote was a better reply as it is in the original text, I didn't feel it needed the part I added. Why do you find that so controversial?
    I already stated why I found that controversial.

Remember that post above where I stated what I thought of it? You know, the one you replied to by deciding to use my real name instead of my username and asked if you could touch me?

Quote Originally Posted by mobsterboy View Post
    I already stated why I found that controversial.

Remember that post above where I stated what I thought of it? You know, the one you replied to by deciding to use my real name instead of my username and asked if you could touch me?
    LOL, I cant offer you Teddy bears, Play-Doh or coloring books, but I can give you a big ol hug.