Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to HPA

New to HPA

Needing to buy a HPA tank for the automag I just got. Thanks captain!! Anyways, I'm having some worries on how safe those tanks are with being such high pressure. I'm new to HPA tanks so, how safe are they? What are some things to be mindful of?
    Last edited by jbtamu1011; 09-12-2018 at 08:08 AM.

You dont need to worry, especially with classic mags and rts. Those valves can take input pressures upto 3000 psi. So having an 700 - 1100psi output pressure is nothing stressful for it. As long as your not doing things outside of what's common sense, you have nothing to worry about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Ya in all honesty I've seen more safety concerns out of co2 tanks

Hpa tanks (and co2 tanks outside of 9oz) have 15 year lifespans, at the end of 15, can't be filled or tested, you also need to test them every 5 years so there is some built in safety. Technically you need to test co2 as well but it's almost always cheaper to buy a new co2 tank than to retest.

Hpa must have a regulator, most commonly this brings the output pressure to around 850 psi (known as high pressure output) which is the same as co2 tanks output, the difference being it is much more constant and co2 can fluctuate some

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jbtamu1011 View Post
    Anywho, I posted a post like this last night, tried to edit my original post on my mobile, and poof.....original thread is gone.
    There seems to be an issue with the mobile app doing that when you try to edit. I put this one back for you for the replies.

Thanks Beemer.

Am I just being over cautious/concerned about HPA tanks? No concerns with tanks blowing up or other serious failures? What things should I look out for to make sure the tank is in tip top shape before I would take it to get fixed?

Anyone playing paintball needs to have a certain level of common sense and safety awareness. Hpa tanks are as safe as the rest of the sport. If you have used co2 then you will be fine with hpa.
    Look for a tank that has an output of 800 psi or greater. Buying used tanks can be a bit of a risk. The two things that I prefer to always buy new are masks and tanks but I am sure that there are people here to give you the tips you need to buy a used tank. I would start by recommending that the tank itself should have no visible damage to show abuse by the previous owner and pay attention to the date of manufacture and the date it was last hydro tested. Tanks do expire and can only be recertified a certain number of times. Also as I am from Canada I have to be certain that a tank is labeled with a TC number (transportation Canada) in addition to the DOT number but you should be aware of this type of thing if your location has specific rules.

Am I just being over cautious/concerned about HPA tanks? No concerns with tanks blowing up or other serious failures? What things should I look out for to make sure the tank is in tip top shape before I would take it to get fixed?
    I'm sure it's probably happened out there somewhere but I'm also willing to bet it was under some circumstances that were already bad, as in, tank was out of hydro but the shop/field was still filling, filling a 3k tank to 4500 etc

Let's put it this way, in the 14 years I have been playing I have never heard of a first or even second hand case of a tank rupturing

I have first hand seen 1 burst disk blow in those 14 years and it wasn't even the tank side disk it was the regulator side (most tanks have 2 burst disks, one for the tank itself and the other for the output pressure)

As for what to look for, signs of damage. Messed up threads, dents/gouges. Always check the hydro date, add 5 years to that date and that is when the tank needs to be retested.

When I get to the shop later I'll send some photos of good/bad tanks

Here are some photos for you

In this photo I want you to see 2 things, first, the cracking in the shell, this is FINE. there is no safety concerns because of the outer laminate cracking like this. If there were large chunks missing it would start to be concerning but as is, no problem. The other thing is the hydro date

04 CL 12

Means this tank was produced in April 2012. Tanks have 5 year test dates so this tank came up for testing in April 2017. Tanks also have 15 year life spans so this tank will die April of 2027 and can no longer be filled or tested after that date

If you are looking at a used tank make sure that date is within 5 years or you better be getting the tank for super cheap as you will need to have it tested (usually around $35 and a week or two without your tank)

These two photos are the same tank/reg, chances are you will never be able to see this as any tank you have will already have the regulator installed but I came across this recently when installing the regulator, the threads were damaged either when the regulator was taken off or when the tank was being tested. This is a very unsafe situation and there is no way I will be continuing to install this regulator. This same situation can still happen with co2 so don't think this is specific to hpa.

Basically, if you ever need a tank tested or serviced, just bring it into a shop.

Last edited by trbo323; 09-12-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trbo323 View Post
    I'm sure it's probably happened out there somewhere but I'm also willing to bet it was under some circumstances that were already bad, as in, tank was out of hydro but the shop/field was still filling, filling a 3k tank to 4500 etc

Let's put it this way, in the 14 years I have been playing I have never heard of a first or even second hand case of a tank rupturing

I have first hand seen 1 burst disk blow in those 14 years and it wasn't even the tank side disk it was the regulator side (most tanks have 2 burst disks, one for the tank itself and the other for the output pressure)

As for what to look for, signs of damage. Messed up threads, dents/gouges. Always check the hydro date, add 5 years to that date and that is when the tank needs to be retested.

When I get to the shop later I'll send some photos of good/bad tanks

Thanks for the reassurance!!

Quote Originally Posted by smilestyler View Post
    Anyone playing paintball needs to have a certain level of common sense and safety awareness. Hpa tanks are as safe as the rest of the sport. If you have used co2 then you will be fine with hpa.
    Look for a tank that has an output of 800 psi or greater. Buying used tanks can be a bit of a risk. The two things that I prefer to always buy new are masks and tanks but I am sure that there are people here to give you the tips you need to buy a used tank. I would start by recommending that the tank itself should have no visible damage to show abuse by the previous owner and pay attention to the date of manufacture and the date it was last hydro tested. Tanks do expire and can only be recertified a certain number of times. Also as I am from Canada I have to be certain that a tank is labeled with a TC number (transportation Canada) in addition to the DOT number but you should be aware of this type of thing if your location has specific rules.
    Thanks for the information! I have played with co2 tanks. Good to know they are similar in pressure.

Here are some photos for you

In this photo I want you to see 2 things, first, the cracking in the shell, this is FINE. there is no safety concerns because of the outer laminate cracking like this. If there were large chunks missing it would start to be concerning but as is, no problem. The other thing is the hydro date

04 CL 12

Means this tank was produced in April 2012. Tanks have 5 year test dates so this tank came up for testing in April 2017. Tanks also have 15 year life spans so this tank will die April of 2027 and can no longer be filled or tested after that date

If you are looking at a used tank make sure that date is within 5 years or you better be getting the tank for super cheap as you will need to have it tested (usually around $35 and a week or two without your tank)

These two photos are the same tank/reg, chances are you will never be able to see this as any tank you have will already have the regulator installed but I came across this recently when installing the regulator, the threads were damaged either when the regulator was taken off or when the tank was being tested. This is a very unsafe situation and there is no way I will be continuing to install this regulator. This same situation can still happen with co2 so don't think this is specific to hpa.

Basically, if you ever need a tank tested or serviced, just bring it into a shop.

Awesome pictures!! Thanks for the information on the expiration and hydro dates.

So how many shots are people getting on avg with an X Valve using a 68ci and 77ci 4500psi tanks with standard 800-850psi output pressure?

If I remember correctly, you get almost half a case of paint on a 68/4500 tank. Keep in mind this is a ballpark figure, I don't know the exact number.

Buy new. You won't need to worry about condition of the tank, as it should be dusty if anything. No cracks, chips, bad threads, anything. If there is a problem, then because you bought new, you can use your warranty.

Go with a preset 800psi tank. You don't need the super high pressure outputs. An Xvalve works fine at 800psi, and some say better at 700psi. But you need not worry about that. Go 800psi, just choose how much paint you normally carry with this quick formula.

15 shots per cubic inch at 4500psi so
    15 × 68(generic tank size) = 900shots

This is a general rule. Various factors will increase but more likely decrease this value, like paint to bore match, how well the tank is filled(there is a cooling factor when you fill HPA which lowers the total pressure), how tuned you gun is, etc. Also, as you approach the end of the tank(under 1k psi) your velocity and shots will fall off. So you can not ahoot deep into the tank as you could with an Axe, or whatever else. So if you carry 4x 150 pods plus a 200rnd hopper, a 68ci tank @ 4500psi will shoot your entire pack before needing to be refilled. If you want more, then get a bigger tank than the example 68ci.

And please ask anything. The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Buy new. You won't need to worry about condition of the tank, as it should be dusty if anything. No cracks, chips, bad threads, anything. If there is a problem, then because you bought new, you can use your warranty.

Go with a preset 800psi tank. You don't need the super high pressure outputs. An Xvalve works fine at 800psi, and some say better at 700psi. But you need not worry about that. Go 800psi, just choose how much paint you normally carry with this quick formula.

15 shots per cubic inch at 4500psi so
    15 × 68(generic tank size) = 900shots

This is a general rule. Various factors will increase but more likely decrease this value, like paint to bore match, how well the tank is filled(there is a cooling factor when you fill HPA which lowers the total pressure), how tuned you gun is, etc. Also, as you approach the end of the tank(under 1k psi) your velocity and shots will fall off. So you can not ahoot deep into the tank as you could with an Axe, or whatever else. So if you carry 4x 150 pods plus a 200rnd hopper, a 68ci tank @ 4500psi will shoot your entire pack before needing to be refilled. If you want more, then get a bigger tank than the example 68ci.

And please ask anything. The only dumb question is the one not asked.
    Hey Nobody!! Thanks for the great information!! I think I will be going with a 68ci tank. Not looking to spend a fortune on a tank so that size should work great.

https://www.ansgear.com/Ninja_Lite_C...68-gry-adj.htm

Go with this one. Ninja is a great company

Might want to look around the interwebs at reviews before you buy from ANS.

http://wickedsports.com/products/nin...lite-grey.html

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Might want to look around the interwebs at reviews before you buy from ANS.

http://wickedsports.com/products/nin...lite-grey.html
    I just bought one from ANS before seeing these posts. It's the same price. Why not from ANS?

I just bought one from ANS before seeing these posts. It's the same price. Why not from ANS?
    Good luck with your purchase .

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Good luck with your purchase .
    Still didn't answer my question. Why not ANS?

Some people think ans is the devil. Of course with a company that large if you look around you will find bad reviews. You don't hear about the 1000 people that lost money going to Vegas, you hear about the 2 that won

I've been ordering through ans for about 10 years, never markers but have I'm sure spent thousands, small parts etc

2 issues through the years,

When I was expanding my gear and started becoming an airsmith I needed to expand my o rings, I found a kit on ans that said it had "most common sizes used in paintball" I shot ans a email and asked what sizes were in it, they responded with something like "paintball sizes" I ordered anyway, and no, a few paintball sizes. Turned out the reason ans didn't know what sizes were in it was they didn't put it together, it was basically a cheap Chinese knock off and there is rings were even crappy. I don't order o rings through them anymore, found better ones and cheaper elsewhere

Issue 2, found they had Halo tsa shells, I use one as a pump hopper, needed shells, ordered shells and battery door. In the photo and if I remember right in the description as well it said the battery tray was included. When parts arrived, battery door but no battery tray. Sent them a email and a few days later another for with tray arrived in the mail.

Buy from whoever you want though, if there is a local shop I would encourage you to give them business, most shops will special order stuff if you ask

Some people think ans is the devil. Of course with a company that large if you look around you will find bad reviews. You don't hear about the 1000 people that lost money going to Vegas, you hear about the 2 that won

I've been ordering through ans for about 10 years, never markers but have I'm sure spent thousands, small parts etc

2 issues through the years,

When I was expanding my gear and started becoming an airsmith I needed to expand my o rings, I found a kit on ans that said it had "most common sizes used in paintball" I shot ans a email and asked what sizes were in it, they responded with something like "paintball sizes" I ordered anyway, and no, a few paintball sizes. Turned out the reason ans didn't know what sizes were in it was they didn't put it together, it was basically a cheap Chinese knock off and there is rings were even crappy. I don't order o rings through them anymore, found better ones and cheaper elsewhere

Issue 2, found they had Halo tsa shells, I use one as a pump hopper, needed shells, ordered shells and battery door. In the photo and if I remember right in the description as well it said the battery tray was included. When parts arrived, battery door but no battery tray. Sent them a email and a few days later another for with tray arrived in the mail.

Buy from whoever you want though, if there is a local shop I would encourage you to give them business, most shops will special order stuff if you ask

Thanks trbo323 for that. I agree. People can shop anywhere they want. You will always see the negative reviews and hardly any of the positive reviews. I do have a local shop here. I haven't been to it in years so not sure what they keep in stock. Their website still looks like it's back from the early 2000's.

You can call and order direct from Ninja also...they are great to work with in a retail ordering capacity as well.

Thanks trbo323 for that. I agree. People can shop anywhere they want. You will always see the negative reviews and hardly any of the positive reviews. I do have a local shop here. I haven't been to it in years so not sure what they keep in stock. Their website still looks like it's back from the early 2000's.
    If they don't have a Ninja tank in stock I would ask to special order.

If they can't just go with whoever you want

I also recommend checking out paintball gateway.com

Not the best restocking fees if I remember right (been a while since I actually looked) if you need to return something but really good customer service. I've spoken with these guys in person, they usually show up to a big game out here in Oregon.

If they don't have a Ninja tank in stock I would ask to special order.

If they can't just go with whoever you want

I also recommend checking out paintball gateway.com

Not the best restocking fees if I remember right (been a while since I actually looked) if you need to return something but really good customer service. I've spoken with these guys in person, they usually show up to a big game out here in Oregon.

Yeah, I emailed the local store here and they said didn't have any new ones on hand but some used ones that's recently hydro'd 68ci for $100. This place sells, services and hyrdros tanks. think buying used from them would be okay then service and hydro tanks?

Yeah, I emailed the local store here and they said didn't have any new ones on hand but some used ones that's recently hydro'd 68ci for $100. This place sells, services and hyrdros tanks. think buying used from them would be okay then service and hydro tanks?
    It would probably be fine but I would still get a Ninja and buy a rebuild kit immediately. I would also make sure the tank has around 8-10 years of lifespan left (manufacture date of 06 or sooner) and that it was hydroed within the last year

If you can find that I can walk you though how to do a rebuild on the reg, I have a Ninja I need to do one on anyway. Rebuild kits are usually around 18 bucks if I remember right

It would probably be fine but I would still get a Ninja and buy a rebuild kit immediately. I would also make sure the tank has around 8-10 years of lifespan left (manufacture date of 06 or sooner) and that it was hydroed within the last year

If you can find that I can walk you though how to do a rebuild on the reg, I have a Ninja I need to do one on anyway. Rebuild kits are usually around 18 bucks if I remember right

Well, I just scored on a used tank from my local paintball store. Empire 68ci 4500psi tank with a Ninja Pro regulator. It's not the Pro V2. Just the Pro. Born date was 09/15. Was hydro tested this past July by the shop even though it wasn't time. Came with a Dye padded cover that zips shut. Also, since I bought it there, the store warranties it so if I have any problem, I can just take it back to him. Got all that for $150.

Not bad. It's up to you if you want to do a rebuild then. If I remember when I do mine I'll post up some pictures.

Not bad. It's up to you if you want to do a rebuild then. If I remember when I do mine I'll post up some pictures.

So i've only been able to shoot about 4 paintballs through my Automag since getting the tank today. First 4 shot great and then it wouldn't shoot anymore. It seems it doesn't reset. I can push the bolt back a bit and it resets, making a clicking noise. Pull the trigger and I hear air being released. Push bolt back and again, wait a while. Fires. try again. Puff. Push bolt back with finger. Rinse and repeat. Is this output pressure from the tank? Or what's going on? should I take the tank back to the local dealer where I got it and see what the output pressure is? Oh, and the on/off ASA is a bia to turn off so i can take the tank off.

Take the tank back to the store and ask them to check the output of the tank. More than likely, the tank is low on the output pressure.

So i tried again. I didn't screw in the ASA as much. just until i hear it cock the gun. it did better but still not quite right. I can shoot more than once if i wait several seconds between trigger pulls. i have to hear it click first before pulling the trigger again. What's clicking? Is that the valve resetting? Anyways, emailed dealer and said to bring it back by. i think it's the output pressure since it's recharging slowly. Going to make my own output pressure checker for future checking.