Thread: AGD Sears and fitment issues (plus the fix)

AGD Sears and fitment issues (plus the fix)

I recently found an issue that I'm surprised I missed after all these years, although in hindsight it explains a lot.

This was tested and repeated on several AGD bodies and rails so it's not a one off problem or aftermarket parts issue. The problem does vary some from setup to setup so it may or may not be a problem but it's easy to verify and also fix if needed.

What I found is the the Automag and RTP sears are different in more ways than just the size of the sear pin. The Automag sear ON/OFF actuation tab is smaller than the RTP's. Where you may encounter a problem is when you put a Stainless Steel body on a RTP rail. The RTP sear sometimes drags, catches or will not clear the on/off hole at the back of the body at all.

I also reverse engineered a SS body and compared it to the AGD ULE body CAD and found other small difference that adds to the issue but I wouldn't go into that because there's nothing in that regard that can be addressed to solve the problem.

This is how I mock up the assembly to test sear clearance (Factory RTP rail shown) this way you can move the sear arm back and forth while looking into the back cavity to see if the sear is catching, binding or not clearing the body. Any problems you encounter, just file the hole a little until the sear clears the hole. It's an easy two minute fix.

Name:  sears 003.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  72.2 KB

Name:  sears 001.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  129.6 KB

Name:  sears 002.JPG
Views: 197
Size:  118.7 KB
    Last edited by luke; 11-28-2018 at 09:36 AM.

That's exactly what was happening when I had the slim hybrid rail on the minimag body. I'm glad you figured it out, Luke!! Great job :-)

Did you mention that to me?

I posted this when I was first putting those pieces together last month. I didn't know what was going on at all then so I didn't know that would be a possibility.

https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...eshooting-Help

A revision while making a new style sear (rtp) to fix what may have been a intermittent issue of the sear (am) missing the on/off makes sense. And would be the perfect time to do it. It would also mean some older bodies may not work without modifying with the newer.

Ive had to modify several over the years to give the sear just alittle more clearance. Still do anytime I use s/s bodies on rtp rails. You are right it is a quick fix. But be careful if using a dremil they can quickly do more damage then expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by jbtamu1011 View Post
    I posted this when I was first putting those pieces together last month. I didn't know what was going on at all then so I didn't know that would be a possibility.
    Did you get it running?

I have not had the chance to try it. Also, I went a totally different route with my minimag. Kept it classic when I found some splash parts.