Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LX'less mags still chop?

Quote Originally Posted by dahoeb View Post
    My game play today.....mag shot pretty well.

Those fields look like a lot of fun.

Sherwood forest, isn't that in Indiana?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam V View Post
    Sherwood forest, isn't that in Indiana?

Yeup! Just over an hour of a drive from Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Xyxyll View Post
    Those fields look like a lot of fun.
    It's a blast and has a little bit of everything as far as play styles. The owner and staff have been putting their hearts into the field for the last 25 years.

I'm located southside of Chicago in the burbs. Been told about that place but never got around to playing there. Maybe I should make the trip over there and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by dahoeb View Post
    It's a blast and has a little bit of everything as far as play styles. The owner and staff have been putting their hearts into the field for the last 25 years.
    I second this. But their last scenario game they held, they let another company run it...and in my opinion it was a flop.

Quote Originally Posted by kfletch View Post
    I second this. But their last scenario game they held, they let another company run it...and in my opinion it was a flop.
    Yeah, wasn't a big fan of the last scenario they had in late Sept either.... I think the Mission Masters (the company that ran it), bit off more than they could chew with that one, tried a slightly different 3 team format and it didn't quite pan out. Usually their events are pretty solid.

I (and others) also had some problems with the Valken paint that was brought out for the event. Hopefully Mission Masters learned from the mistakes.

ho boy, lots to unpack in this thread ....

in general the automags bolt is significantly larger than most modern guns bolt, and stack clipping is a big time issue with todays modern paint. id be interested to trying taking .020 off the diameter (maybe even more ...), and put a front taper and am oring for sealing on the nose to improve paint handling. not sure how thick the walls are if you could do it, but if you could it would improve paint handling of a mag significantly IMO.
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

Or we could just get a company to make good paint again....

Breaches of most guns are large enough to handle most paint, even large bore varieties. That means the bolts are most likely fairly large diameter as well. The smaller diameter paint these days is much more of an issue.

Most guns on the market, especially the electronic spool valve varieties, have a dedicated piston for pushing the bolt forward. It does this with low pressure air for the entire length of the bolt push on the ball. The slow and fairly gentle forward push on the ball prevents most clipped balls. Then, when the ball is actually pushed into a tight barrel, even if it is slightly cracked, it is less likely to break.

A mag level 10 was only designed to prevent chops. It still requires a high force push for the remaining travel of the bolt to overcome the bolt spring force. This high force requirement is due to the mass of the bolt and the need to stay forward long enough to empty enough air out of the chamber to fire the ball at significant velocity. This means the bolt can still clip a low hanging ball, and then mash it into a barrel that is a bit tight. Most barrel breaks, even clipped balls, can be eliminated by using an oversized barrel.

I am a big proponent of using oversized barrels. I have done so for years and many tournaments, as well as many scenario and open games, and have pretty much eliminated barrel breaks in all my guns. Most of the pros used to use oversized barrels for the same reason. I don't know if they still do, but I suspect it is still the case.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

I'll try the larger bore size if I have such a problem, AThomas. The paint size in my area is usually around .684, perhaps not small enough to cause a major clipping problem in automags.