Thread: Looking for input on changes to my mag

Looking for input on changes to my mag

Hello Everyone,

I have been thinking of changing the setup of my mag since its been the same since I ordered back in 2008, but I am having trouble deciding what to do so I figured I'd ask for some input from everyone.

It is the basic Pewter color RT-ULE with chrome frame, CP feedneck and CP non-mini direct mount ASA. I am tired of the chrome frame as it just never matched well and the CP ASA though very reliable, has always been pretty heavy considering its size.

My first thought is getting the frame stripped and annoed to match the pewter color. When it comes to getting your markers annoed, who did you use for that? Googling found me a few listings, but one of the places I asked, Precision Color Techniques, came back saying "gray and not exact color match" for the pewter, which granted I have not seen what "gray" to them looks like, but I love the color now so I'd be bummed to not have them match. Considering the prices in general though, it would almost make more sense and look nicer to get the whole marker done in a pattern and their equivalent pewter color. I've checked local places near me in Massachusetts, but most seem to cater to business or large run stuff.

As for the ASA, I've been thinking of the Inception Design EZ with ATR because the macro is straight out, but I'm not sure how much of a weight saving I would see by switching. Is it a noticeable difference or anyone know how much it weighs in OZ so I could compare with mine? Is this particular ASA pretty reliable too or temperamental after awhile?

Other than going the routes above, I've also considered the Nummech since it is practically the same price for the ASA alone and a pretty big change, but going by the thread here and reading on their site, I have conflicted feelings about it. Are those who bought one still happy with using it? Do you really have to disassemble from the frame to get the valve out if you want that straight macro to macro look?

Thanks for the help and input!

When it comes to anodizing, it seems as if you're wanting something to match send it to caustic(don't know if he offers chrome stripping anymore, if you want 'similar' colors go with any of the other top Anodizers; FX Anodizing, Blizzard Anodizing, Stained Works(don't know of he's still taking work or stopped) another route you can go with is sending it to get cerakote(look up voodoo coating on MCB) he did a few things for me and they all came out looking great, as for Asa go with what your heart desires, personally I love Bob long cam/gear drives, the pops asa are nice, never tried the ID EZ, cp are great for reliability

Madcat_MK2, keep that marker and start a scratch build or 'hold your breath' and wait for the next new Mag to hit the market.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Just build a custom one to your taste.

Echoing alpha_q_up, Caustic is known for color matching and comolex patterns; Blizzard CAN strip plating along with his incredible work; FX is another I'd use without hesitation. Just check their galleries out on Facebook!

I would NOT recommend Voodoo Coatings on MCB. He strung me out for nearly a year before I badgered him for 2 months just to get my untouched stuff back. Instead crosscheck Cerakote authorized applicators and their personal work online to find good local people. You do tend to see some variances in the prices though.

I'm "meh" on ASAs since I still run old Benchmarks and Smart Parts ones along with a foot of braided line or macroline. Old school cool and it's a free weight workout.

And going_home is right - if it ain't broke don't fix it. Especially since you got a nice Pewter ULE body on it. If you really want to try out a new frame (I mean there's over 50 options out there from single, double, 45, 86, 90, Y, Z, aluminum, 3D-printed, mech, elec, pneu, $50, $400...) I fully support that. As they say, variety is the spice of life. And you can easily find several at any given moment on the forums and Facebook 'Mag groups.
    >>WTB<< Sydarm w/ constant air__WarpedMephisto half-c/f body__Ac!d c/f trigger__TASO humpback frame__an Oh-Mag

If it's a nickel intelliframe, I'd suggest selling it and picking up one of the newer offerings raw.

The Inception parts are all excellent, nice additions.
    Warp Feed Evangelist
    My Feedback

Honestly I'm not much of a collector of markers as I just have my one mag that I love to use and its been good enough for me. I guess that makes me boring in a way

As is, I'm selling my ex's mag since I don't need it and two people I play with are interested in buying since they know I keep them in great shape and are looking to get a mech. That part is rather funny in a way since they always used to make fun of me for having one, now they fight each other to get it haha.

I've played around with the idea of a new frame, but it was mainly in the event no one had a good suggestion for getting it annoed since I'd prefer black over this current chrome/nickle. I would much rather keep it all together since I also follow the "if it aint broke" mentality, but also its kind of like my baby and I want to keep all the parts together since it came that way and the frame has older style cuts on it compared to my ex's that's only 1 year newer.

Since there are great suggestions for annodizing, I'll check out Caustic Customs first. I really do like the pewter and I don't want to change that, so if I can get the frame to match the color that would be awesome and my main goal in changing things. Also good to know the Inception would be a good choice if I do decide to go that route.

Thanks for the all the suggestions and help!