Thread: Rails

Rails

Are all rails interchangeable except for RT Classic? I want to upgrade my rail. Any places I should look? Tac One rail is pretty cool. I guess theres a RT Pro rail too? what about custom or aftermarket rails?

ive got a minimag from 100 years ago with a new x valve in it. i have xmagterror aluminum and CF MM bodies coming, and and x frame coming. i have my factory automag/minimag classic rail and want to change it out with something. i see theres a lot of emag and xmag and RT pro custom body/rail combinations... so i would be looking for a style that compliments the CF or aluminum MM body. also have a smart parts front grip in place of the factory MM vertical asa

Not all rails are the same and interchangeability definitely differs between bodies, rails, frames, foregrips and barrels. Generally speaking, you have 3 options

RT Classic (RT):
    - 9" length
    - gas-thru design
    - wider hole for the gas-thru banjo bolt
    - foregrip attaches to mount attached to 6-screws on the front sides
    - rectangular recess for steel body rectangular mounting lug
    - sear has bushing which rotates on a sear pin threaded in from the side
    - accepts flat-topped, wingless frames

AGD/early-aftermarket Automag/Minimag (AM/MM):
    - 8" length
    - single hole in front for foregrip
    - 2nd hole from front edge is stepped for a spring-loaded barrel pin for Twist-Lock barrels
    - rectangular recess for steel body rectangular mounting lug
    - bushingless sear rotates on a loose pin resting in the top of the rail
    - 2 holes in rear behind field strip screw on some models (maybe internal only and not punched out) for backbottle ASA
    - bottom sides of rail chamfered to fit winged frames and single-hole winged foregrips; wingless flat frames will also fit but some may create a slight ledge along the sides if wider than rail's bottom surface

AGD RT Pro/E-Mag/aftermarket (RTP/EM):
    - 9" length
    - RTP: foregrip attaches to mount attached to 6-screws on the front sides
    - EM: no provision for a foregrip since it had the frame-mounted battery pack
    - most aftermarket: internally ULE-milled for weight reduction and slotted to take the 2-screw, flat-topped RTP foregrips
    - RTP/EM: stepped hole for a spring-loaded barrel pin for Twist-Lock barrels
    - rectangular/circular recess for steel body rectangular & ULE body circular mounting lugs (maybe both or one or the other depending on when manufactured)
    - sear has bushing which rotates on a sear pin threaded in from the side
    - accepts flat-topped, wingless frames

Seem complicated? It honestly sometimes can be. That's why I say generally because there are certainly exceptions. So either buy and try or just ask us here. Many AOers have varied 'Mag collections and can help figure out for sure what mates with what. Just post pics or links to pics so it's easier to see what specifically you're inquiring about.
    >>WTB<< Sydarm w/ constant air__WarpedMephisto half-c/f body__Ac!d c/f trigger__TASO humpback frame__an Oh-Mag

I'm going to put my XMT ULE RT on a Logic Alpha rail (captain_pinky has a few of those currently) because it looks so good with a long cylindrical body. The Logic Alpha is chamfered so it can take any frame (the AGD X-Frame or KAM M86v2 or Luke's MP90 are all currently available and will work) but it needs a single-hole winged foregrip.

haha ! yea complicated. So where does a Tac One rail fall into play? I like the look of it. It's front grip does not attach from the side.

im not sure what you mean by "winged".

So it sounds like upgrading from a classic AM/MM rail/sear will give me better feel with bushings? it sounds like i need a whole sear/trigger rod assembly as well if i upgrade rails?

Long story short, if you have a RT Classic (where the airline goes into the rail, not the valve), your only option is the RT Classic rail. There is no aftermarket option. If your airline goes directly into the valve (which implies you have a RT Pro), then you can pretty much pick and choose your rail.

While this isn't the best picture, it may help you identify which RT you have. Look at the rear of the body for the key differences between these two markers. Top one is the RT Classic and bottom one is the RT Pro.

A little history lesson re: Tac Ones. The original Tac Ones came with a modified Emag rail. AGD milled a recess where the sight rail holes go and glued a brushed metal plate in. It disguises the holes very well.

They now come with the 8in ULE rail:

Ah thanks! the 8 inch ULE rail on the new Tac Ones is what i want!