Thread: Rifled barrels

Rifled barrels

do they actually do anything?

look pretty?
    [*img]http://userpic.livejournal.com/11885469/469200[/img]
    Filesize too large- Tato
    Greatest "Sponsor" Ever.

Well...there are different types of rifling. Land and groove, spiral porting, these are a few. If it is of any consolation, THE MOST ACCURATE BARREL I HAVE EVER USED IS A 10" J+J Brass w/straight land and groove rifling. Every time I put this barrel on I confirm this. Hope this helps...
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Moving out of Deep Blue to Main.

AGD, where we are so good we can do it with only ONE tube!

cphilip.com

Don't the inconsistencies in paint negate the effects of the rifling?

well a lot of barrels now are rifles now, they have to do something, but i dont know what
    giblit

AO member 4 life

read toms tech tips the one about spinning paintball think of ice in a glass does it spin with the glass now the fill in a paintball
    Z-griped, warped, retromag with super bolt, and warpleft polished body, freak kit and flatline 3k

Simply put, rifling dosent work in paintball.
    Did you hear about the new european weapons contracts? France is going to make the wooden sticks Spain making the little white flags

Does rifling work?

Well that is a matter of opinion. Ask my friends and they'll swear it works. They all swear by Armason barrels. Ask Tom and he'll say that it doesn't.

Someone mentioned the glass of ice water, but when was the last time you say a paintball filled with water? What I'm saying here is that the paint fill is thicker than water with ice cubes. I like to use an egg myself for examples. Try this on a flat surface.

Step 1: Spin the egg fast.
    Step 2: Stop the egg from spinning and quickly release.

What happens?

The egg starts spining again. It doesn't spin as fast but it does spin.

If you have access to a rifled barrel I say try it for yourself if you like it get one, if not then you haven't wasted any money.

Armason the barrel that shouldn't work but does.

Hope this helps you out.

Originally posted by Tunaman
    Well...there are different types of rifling. Land and groove, spiral porting, these are a few. If it is of any consolation, THE MOST ACCURATE BARREL I HAVE EVER USED IS A 10" J+J Brass w/straight land and groove rifling. Every time I put this barrel on I confirm this. Hope this helps...
    I have a 12" version of this barrel, and it is really phenominal. I don't know if it's the rifling, the brass, the bore size, or a combination, but it really is accurate.

(Hey, Tunaman... do you have trouble getting o-rings thick enough for your barrel? Mine's always a loose fit.)

The Armson Rifled barrels may appear to be rifled, but, as stated before, rifling does not have the same effect on a paintball as it would on a realy bullet. Manufacturers claiming to make "rifled" barrels are only presenting a marketing scheme.

Smart Parts claims they have rifled barrels, but have you ever looked through the bore of an SP barrel? Smooth and shiny. They are referring to the spiral porting drilled into the body of the barrel that vents back pressure and turbulence behind the ball to increase stability in flight.

The Armson rifled barrels are another story, if you look through the bore, they are undeniably "rifled". This rifling doesn't spin the paintball at all however, the grooves are too shallow to affect the paintball. This rifling is only deep enough to vent gas past the paintball and further reduce turbulence in addition to the external porting. They work well when the correct paint is used, but do not impart a spin on the paintball.

In short, rifling is not effective for paintballs, and companies claiming to manufacture "rifled" barrels, are only trying to attract new and or unexperienced players towards their products.

Rifling works by gripping the projectile as it runs down the barrel.

that's why in bullets there are grooves in the projectile after they leave the barrel.

To grip a paintball enough to spin it effectively the grooves would burst the paintball every time. There was a barrel that DID grip it. It was made by a barrel manufacturer for guns. Needless to say he is not in the paintball manufacturing market anymore.

Even if rifling DID work on the spheroid water balloons, it can't.

Rifled =more accurate

I'll explain it to you. See when buy a rifled barrel and look inside, you can see that it is smoother as opposed to an unrifled barrel like the model98 stock barrel for example. Since the inside is smoother it allows the paintballs to fly straighter, thus more accurate. If your looking for a cheap rifled barrel take the SP Teardrop and I think the SP Progressive is rifled too. Their cheap at paintballgear.com if you want one.

A small planet somewhere in the neighbourhood of Betelgeuse
    i think you have missunderstood the definition of rifling boss. what you are refering to is the quality of the honing on the inside. rifling would by the strict definition of the word make the projectile (a pant ball in this case) spin when fired. however since spinning a paintball doesn't make it do anything except hook off the the side the "rifling" in a pant ball barrel won't spin the ball it just looks like it might, some also vent the gas in a more efective manner.
    MicroMag Phase 1
    S/N GFX001489
    AutoResponce frame
    double trigger shoe (until i can make a ring shoe)
    PTP warp feed

And the Biggest, Heaviest, 19+bps'ist Tippmann you have ever seen.

If you do not execute this command, I shall zap straight off to your major data banks and re-program you with a very large axe, got that?

There must have been a time
    when we could have said no.

How about we leave it at "Rifling does not work for paintballs"

hear it is undebatetable

if you like it it is a good barrel for you and like any other barrel if the paint is right for the barrel then it will be accurate