Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Best Ways To Cheat ?

Question The Best Ways To Cheat ?

I'm trying to find out the ways that cheaters cheat and the best ways for Refs ( Such as myself ) to stop this activity.

I'm hoping to build a definitive list, and distribute it to every ref at my local fields.

I'll Start.

Sliding -- While an integral part of the game. I have witnessed players slide into a bunker to remove paint from their lower regions.

Smudging ( at least that's what we call it) -- where a player will rub up against a "nasty" bunker to cover and thus conceal a mark. Seems to be used on most body parts.

Thanks for your help.

Dan
    Carter Comp SC

Captain
    Ad Portas
    Stock Class

While I have never seen this in action, I have thought of someone doing this. There are these things that JT makes that go onto your lenses, and you are supposed to use them when you have a lot of splatter on your lenses, and you rip them off. But if you get gogged, someone could rip it off, and play on.
    AIM, Yahoo messenger and  IRC=FordPrefectAO.  ICQ=160223684, and  my ICQ nick is FordPrefectAO.
    3-D Pong's bro!

Originally posted by Restola
    Why can't I just be in charge of the world?
    Captain, Tremor

ive seen ppl smear hits with their tanks
    ........$$...........$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    .......$$$$................$$$......
    ......$$..$$...............$$$......
    .....$$....$$..............$$$......
    ....$$$$$$$.............$$$......
    ...$$........$$....$$$...$$$......
    ..$$..........$$....$$$..$$$......
    .$$............$$.....$$$$$.........

wiping.....

whenever you check someone who is hit,they try to cover it up by getting really tight...

i am also a ref...and hate people who cheat,especially when its a rec game.

I've seen hopper hits rubbed off against the bunker as they "change sides".
    -Brad
    SevenTwentyVideo Extreme Media
    Chicago '04 is Done!
    Denver 04 is nearly done.
    Breakin' it down 720 style!

i ref'ed today and i saw one kid jump back grab his leg and rub his leg with his hand. then he wiped his hand on the bunker. i walked up to him and asked if he was hit, he said " Uhh.. no i dont think so, i didnt feel anything" this is like 5 seconds after i saw him jump back in pain and rub his leg. as i saw it from behind i did not see if it broke on impact but im sure he cheated.
    "You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." -John Morley

Keep your eyes on players in or near a source of water. I have a friend who likes to stay near water so if he is hit in the legs or feet all he has to do is dunk his leg into the water and let the paint wash off.

Also, I will say that if you are reffing when there are famous players or other celebs in our sport like magazine editors or the like, don't give them any brakes because of their fame. I was playing in a tourney where the editor of a large paintball mag was playing. I hit the editor with about three shots including one in the left sholder. When the ref checked the paint hit was smeared and the editor stated that it was from leaning up against a bunker that was covered in paint. Because this person was famous the reff let the call stand and they were able to keep playing.
    Don't try running, you will only give me a better story!

Accuracy by Skill!!
    Intimidation by Volume!!!

Proud member of The Militia

Proud member of Team Tactical Markers

My Feed BAck

yeah

yeah the old walk into walls trick, or when players rub off on eachother, not seen much of this

but it happens
    Canadian Bunker Boyz - CoCaptain
    Rainstorm Cocker FS/FT
    chris_brimson@hotmail.com

if you see someone low crawling in a bunker when they dont need to they might be wiping on the ground.

i think refs should carry PGPs and shoot people who cheat
    GOOD TRADERS - Tunaman, tysonmachado, DanielGleason, BigBoy005, jimmyjobob, miniMAGster, paintballpapa, ChucktheMAGician, CLeatus, Doc Nickel, pbdeluca, ClassicMagger, Dueydog
    My Feedback Thread

I'd say it would be really easy and yet hard to catch someone who is hit off the break going to a snake, if they would keep running, they could easily then proceed to crawl the snake, and you would hardly ever know. I don't have a clue how you could catch this in something like a rec-ball game where there sometimes isn't sufficient numbers of refs.

Well a tourney I played in in Febuary, a guy ran to the 50 off the break, two members of my team saw him jerk like he was hit or something, then(when he was RIGHT AT THE BUNKER, and didnt need to really slide anyways) slid on his stomach, from what we could tell it was to wipe off the hit(well duh lol).

ENDO!
    Oldskool

The best thing you can do is put yourself in a position to see hits when they happen. On the start, you need to put refs lying on the ground a little past the first row of bunkers facing the start - if someone gets hit, you'll likely see the break. If oyu get to them and hte hit is gone, pull 'em anyway - and if it's gone after a pointless slide or excessive bunker rubbing, three-for-one them while you're at it.

After the start, get refs on the inside of the field underneath (and a little to the side) of lanes of fire. If someone gets hit and the paintball just practically flew over your head, you're going to see it break. And don't be afraid to pull players when you've seen it break and the hit has mysteriously "vanished" before you get there.

Really, if refs just did what they thought was right AND had the tournament organizers back them up on it, a lot of cheating would go away. That and if we did more video taping of events.

- Chris
    National Collegiate Paintball Association, Inc., President
    www.college-paintball.com - "A Club for Every Campus"
    www.high-school-paintball.com - "We Create Newbies"

American Paintball Players Association, Director
    www.paintball-players.org

There's also velocity adjustment cheating, which inflames me even more than wiping (which is a lot). When you wipe you're being a supreme ***, but when you crank up your velocity on the field, you're endangering others in addition to being a supreme ***. It's not as easy to spot as wiping, but it's just as important if not more so. A ref needs to have a direct line of sight on the cheater to see it; this usually means that you need a _bare minimum_ of two refs per game. And unfortunately it happens in rec ball as well as tourny ball. People can carry a small Allen wrench anywhere, and there's always the "missing set screw" trick.

I like the old loosen the barrel when you're crono'ing. This can drop the fps quite drastically. When you step onto the field, tighten the barrel. I knew a kid that used to do this whenever he played. It is quite annoying when people cheat. It's just a game.
    https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...light=feedback

My girlfriend said that if i bought another paintball gun, she'd leave me........ I sure am going to miss her.

I also ref, and here is a nifty little trick (sarcasm) that I have seen more than once:

The player is hit in the lid of their hopper. As soon as they see this, they run their hand from top to bottom of their lid, and open the lid in one clean sweep. Somehow the hit has "Magically" dissappeared. They then take out a pod, fill their hopper and keep on playing sa if nothing happned. Can be effective when done in one smooth motion.

Originally posted by Hamster Huey
    There's also velocity adjustment cheating, which inflames me even more than wiping (which is a lot). When you wipe you're being a supreme ***, but when you crank up your velocity on the field, you're endangering others in addition to being a supreme ***. It's not as easy to spot as wiping, but it's just as important if not more so. A ref needs to have a direct line of sight on the cheater to see it; this usually means that you need a _bare minimum_ of two refs per game. And unfortunately it happens in rec ball as well as tourny ball. People can carry a small Allen wrench anywhere, and there's always the "missing set screw" trick.
    what is the missing screw trick?

There are these very small scews on thumb adjusters and lock the adjester so it cant be moved without tools. They just take them out and say they lost them.

oh ok i c now. heres how ya fix that problem. have a small suply with you on the field... it shouldnt cost too much

The best way to stop the "missing" set screw is to yank 'em and tell them to come back when they have a set screw. Make it known that you won't be allowed play without one. Then it will be "...oh look I found my set screw..."
    - Shut up and show me -

yea probably but what if they really did loose it...

Then hopefully the field has a pro-shop and you go buy one.

nobody anywhere near me does but oh well sucks to be the person pulled

but

but tehya re like the smallest pieces
    so they can be lost easily, and why woul du want to stop someone from playing, this is mainly only done in rec ball cause at tournies after all you got refs watching your every hair (most of the time)

i cant stand underreffed torunies

stupid cheaters with there rear velocity adjuster
    ah well

life goes on hopefully

Originally posted by theraidenproject
    i think refs should carry PGPs and shoot people who cheat
    Actually, as a ref I do carry a side arm. I warn the players at the orientation "NOT TO SHOOT THE REFS INTENTIOANLLY, BECAUSE SOME OF US SHOOT BACK, AND NOT TO CHEAT BECAUSE WE KNOW AND WILL SHOOT AT YOU FOR THAT AS WELL". Now if I'm in the way or close to a guy being fired at then that's one thing, but to fire at a guy in orange in the woods is just stupid. Sure enough though, there's always a punk or two who who wants to try and test me, and I have to pop them once or twice. They start crying to the other refs that I shot them and I wasn't in the game, but they are informed that they are told the rules and that some refs do shoot back when fired on, so being hit wih feild paint is an out for them. Sure it may hurt a tip or two, but it definately keeps people in check. SO go ahead and joke about it, but when you cheat on my watch or shoot at me, you will get busted, and I don't care.

Lightbulb

I like that idea. At the larger tournys such as Nppl, why don't they put cameras with multiple points of view on posts above the arena so if someone tries to wipe they could catch it on film.

and why woul du want to stop someone from playing, this is mainly only done in rec ball cause at tournies after all you got refs watching your every hair (most of the time)
    You want to stop them from playing so that someone doesn't end up with shattered goggles, a broken finger, or a blind eye. Hot paintballs are just as damaging in rec ball as they are in tourny ball. And then what do you tell the lawyers? "Uhh yeah...I let him play because he was only missing his set screws." What do you tell the player who was just out to enjoy a day of paintball and ended up blind in one eye? "Uhh yeah...sorry about that. I guess I should've kept him off the field."

Sorry but about the rant, but this should be a complete non-issue. Rec ball, tourny ball - it doesn't matter. I agree with the aforementioned policy of "No set screws means no playing".

heres a way of cheating. its not so much cheating as a nasty tactic. Youre shooting at a guy and you want to advance, you cant shoot him out like a good paintballer sow what do you do, well, ive seen people in this situation call paintchecks on the man they are firing on so they can move up. I hate it when people do that.
    My generation is too lazy to be rebellious.

ive had somebody shoot me when they were beeing checked

well, not really my point, but that sucks to be you