View Poll Results: Do you want a new forum?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, make Fight Club a forum

13 26.53%
  • No. It is a waste of time

36 73.47%

Thread: Vote on new forum...all members

Vote on new forum...all members

Do we want to have a forum where we can discuss anything we want. No restrictions on topic. Yes there will be rules on it and so on...If there is support for a forum like this, Tom will take it into consideration.

This would be a forum where we can discuss politics, religion, pretty much anything would go, so long as we kept it from being personal.

I feel that FC would be a very good re-addition to AO, a place where members can talk about anything, and keep the conversations adult. FC, when it was up, had few, if any problems with members taking any posts personally.

The way I envision FC is a place where members can discuss personal, religious, and political issues, as well as any other topic that they would like to have an intelligent conversation/debate.

FC would differ from Deep Blue mainly in that DB is a technical forum, while FC will be geared more towards "anything goes". Of course, rules and whatnot would have to be agreed upon if this is to go any further, but I urge you to give this some thought.

In the letter that I wrote, I called the new forum Fight Club...may or may not be called that.

If you want a forum like this, vote yes. If no, then no.

-Chris

P.S. There would be mods specifically for this forum so that the current ones dont have to "babysit" us...as they all too often feel they do.

I've been wanting this for awhile. Great idea.

Very Bad Idea...

Those subjects can never be kept from becoming 'personal' because they are all such personal subjects!

In this link to Chris's previous post people have already posted some strong opinions on this subject...

https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...threadid=31857

I think there are some points in there worth reading and thinking about before answering the poll above.

manike

I think it is a good idea because on the fourms now you have to be careful what you say about religion and other stuff like that. I think it would be great to do that so no one would misuse the current fourms and get kicked. We need a place for debates and different people's views (weather it be good or bad).
    Red to Black Ironman Intimidator
    Demon UL Matrix Dust Red
    TEAM BACKDRAFT
    Broken Matrix or DM4? Send it to me, I'll fix it, just pay $10 + shipping + parts.

no, thats too similar to the flames forum at pbc, and the last thing we want here is flaming

so no to that idea

Cliff
    AO MEMBER# 2967
    No Limit
    check out these killers...
    NFeel The JoyN

Its not gonna happen, dont bother asking for it.

This forum is owned by a company- you can't have "no holds bar" discussion on this site.

After reading most of threads on this subject, I don't think it's feasible and necessary.

lead, follow, or

get the Hell out of MY way!

- quote stolen from sleepingbeauty

As Tom said, if I get enough support for it here, he will take it into consideration. Yes, read the old post on the subject...that may help you.

This is not a flames forum in any way, shape or form. It is meant to be a place where people can have intelligent conversation about non-technical material. This is one thing that is seriously lacking at the moment. Yes, the forum would be restricted, meaning that if some people start making personal comments about other members beliefs, they would no longer be able to post in the forum (at least this is what I am pulling for).

Keep in mind, that voting no because you dont think it is possible to get this forum is a waste of your vote. If we want it, there is a good possibility that it will be made.

-Chris

I say drop the idea- this is a paintball forum- yet you insist on talking poltics and religion?

Even in REAL debates, people can cross the line and mock someone elses opinion. Do you expect "debates" about such topics will run smoothly over the internet? Not just the internet, a paintball message board...

I think this could work well if people actually acted mature. If they didn't, say hi to the first day of the rest of your suspension. This is how it we could make it work.

guys i would love to say this is a good idea but all i see is trouble coming from it. i think people are gonna grow grudges and be biased towards other members if their was a forum like this.
    Click For a Free IPOD!!! IT Really Works!!!
    Graphite Fly A4
    14" Freak/Black Uni-Mount
    68cu/4500psi Crossfire
    Egg2 with Z Board
    Email: Hexatile@hotmail.com

Originally posted by Chris
    It is meant to be a place where people can have intelligent conversation about non-technical material. This is one thing that is seriously lacking at the moment.
    It's not lacking, it does happen in friendly corner already, just as long as you don't break the rules. I don't see how having another forum which has different rules, which is bound to upset people sooner or later, can be good for the family and non flaming attitude of AO.

Snooky has a great point also, People will bear grudges in the other forums because of what is said there. It's human nature.

manike

Some people enjoy anger...

Sounds fantastic! If you like that whole hate thing.
    The gelatin on the stainless like the diamond on the vinyl.

Fight Club = Flame Club. As much as you want to believe that people will be able to act mature about it you're wrong. It would quickly turn into an ugly mess that will spill into the rest of the forums.
    "Relax. Don't worry. Have a Home Brew."
    -Charlie Papazian

Feedback: https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...threadid=40134

If I may….

If FC was established as it WAS, I would not have a problem with it. But it was not about ANY topics, it was almost like Deep Blue (but not quite), and had to do with Paintball ONLY. Again, if it was restored to its original state, I think it would work very well…. but the way it is suggested (by adding ANY topic of discussion) would turn it into a “commentary” forum and lead to discussions that may be appropriate on other forums, but not on a Paintball Forum.

I agree that personal feelings on many of the topics could cause hard feelings for a lot of the members (general AO membership). This should be avoided at ALL COSTS being that this is an “entertainment” forum. I will fully admit that I enjoy “round table” discussions on just about any topic, but they can only be done responsibly in a VERY controlled environment and with a controlled “group” participating. This is NOT meant as an insult to anyone.

We already have the ability to discuss many things on AO, and adding a forum so opened to controversial topics would only cause problems.

With that said… I would love nothing more than to see a Forum Site set up with the “no flame” policy AO has adopted (Called something like “The Social Club”). I would advocate and join this in a heartbeat, IF they kept tight control of the members and their actions. This would NOT be an “elite” group, but one that has the ability to follow rules, rationally discuss issues, not get “personal”, etc. and the membership would be decided by simply being those able to follow rules. That means that if you (the member) get kicked out of the forums, it was YOUR decision, not the Admin’s.

But again, this may be a great idea, but one I feel does not belong nestled within a Paintball Forum Site. Much too problematic…

www.ShartleyCustoms.com
    Custom Paintball Products and Accessories
    CLICK HERE to Check out our PDU SERIES GEAR!

its more like a paper cut that has primadonna's yelling murder... - Glickman

Originally posted by shartley
    But again, this may be a great idea, but one I feel does not belong nestled within a Paintball Forum Site. Much too problematic…
    Agreed. Establish it somewhere else and I will come play, I love a good strong debate and it's one of my main reasons for 'playing' on the net, but not here in this 'friendly' paintball forum.

Such a forum as discussed above might be a lot of fun, but I doubt it would be very friendly.

manike

Doesn't really matter to me, except i already post on WAY too many message boards already

Do we really need such a forum?

I don't think so. I come here for paintball not for arguments. If I want to get into a heated debate there are a lot of other forums that support it.

I don't think that Tom in his infinite wisdom would proceed with such a forum without a general concensus advocating it. There isn't one.

Question

what about a tournament forum, where upcoming torunaments, nppl/psp stuff, rankings, general smacktalk revolving around tornaments could take place

skirts

Thumbs up Good idea

I voted yes.There are just sooo many things you would like to talk about on AO but don't because you are afraid of being banned.Those who try end up banned.