Thread: How to, and should we Determine ROF. (or how to brag.. with the truth)

How to, and should we Determine ROF. (or how to brag.. with the truth)

Rate of fire is determined like any rate. In our case it's number of balls shot over a given duration of time. It's an instantanious measurement.

Given that shooting a paintball gun is a wave action, not a speed, we need to have at least 2 events to determine it's rate.

Now, there are severaly ways we can determine rof. Most of them need a comptuer to be accurate. But here is a way or 3 you can determine your average rate of fire.

My house method, crafted to reduce the reported rate of fire:
    Take 80 balls. Put them in the hopper. Stand a LONG ways back from the target. Have a friend, AT the target with a stopwatch. They start timing when the first ball hits, and stops timing when the gun fires it's first dry shot.

Another way you can determine rate of fire is by controling the other variable. Instead of controling the number of balls you can control the time you're allowed to fire. Again start with 80 balls. And remember, you will need to count them when you're done.

have you friend tell you go, and time for 6 secconds. Take 80 minus the number of balls in the gun. (in a cocker add one for the one in the breach) and then divide that number by 6 to get your rate of fire.

Now, electronic rof meters. Like those on the angel, or comptuer programs, or even when you use a sound clip and determine the shortest space between spikes, will all read higher than the methods I described.

Now this does not mean they are wrong. their answer is JUST as valid. And is actually more accurate if your'e looking for peak rof. Average ROF is what I'd use for bragging rights. That's a number you're sure you're able to hit. And if someone brings out something with an electronic rof meter you can really wow them by shooting faster than you claim.

what would be nice is to have a standard. Like... fastest string of 5 shtos to determine what your "official" rate of fire is. Versus the 2 shot method you see on something like an angel. 5 shots is much more real world, without having to account for muscle fatigue.

I'm sorry about this post's subject meandering a bit, but it seemed an apropreate time to post something on the subject of determining rate of fire given the recent threads discussing how fast people can shoot.
    To be an AGD supporter, one cannot be an AGD bigot. -Nero

Truth is a complex thing. One must govern by simplicity. -M. Mercier, special counsel to his Majesty for domestic matters. The Brotherhood of the Wolf

"You can't outrun Death forever, but you can make the bastard work for it."

I never thought of that... I can't believe that. Great ideas! Now I can show some people that 6-7 bps is waaaaaay faster than they may think
    Subbeh

"My wife might find my stashed Marker Money before then, and then boom-new patio furniture or some other garbage."
    -1stDeadEye

The way we do it is clock the time of every shot over our recording crono and then print out the entire string of shots. We then look for the one second interval that has the most shots. That is how Butch hit 13 bps. Some on board rate of fire calculations are done with the shortest time between two shots which is then extrapolated to BPS. The problem is that something like a short stroke can seriously throw off your BPS estimate.

In my mind if you are going to brag about how many shots per second you are shooting you should at LEAST be able to do that for a whole second!

AGD (12bps real time)

This sound is of me doing 13bps pretty consistently, Ive slowed down alot of parts of it and all were 13bps except one was 12. I'm gonna try and break the 13bps thing soon http://www.angelfire.com/punk3/tronatemybaby/Emag.mp3 (You'll have to copy and paste this into your window)

ENDO!
    Oldskool

CRAZY

boy thats wierd
    but it makes you wonder why u cant hear anyone talk?
    or whether he just took 1 shot
    took it into a program and posted 13 of them in teh same file
    and convert them to a wav file
    Canadian Bunker Boyz - CoCaptain
    Rainstorm Cocker FS/FT
    chris_brimson@hotmail.com

lol, dude I didn't copy all that stuff, I'm no cheat! And there is no one talking because I did this in my room, by my comp. Come to my field sometime and I'll show you thing or two lol

ENDO!

lol

just pullin your chain
    lol

lol, I thought that might be the case, but I had to defend my BPS lol. Lets just say I outshot a revvie on a warp. I have an Xboard now so lets see how this keeps up with good old Thunderclease

ENDO!

*cleras throat*

e-mag on a vl200

tick = shot
    bang = missfire

tick
    tick
    bang
    bang
    bang
    tick
    bang
    bang
    tick
    bang
    bang
    bang
    tick
    bang
    *shake*
    bang
    bang
    *shake*

lol

Got webspace? Ill upload my wav...
    Did you hear about the new european weapons contracts? France is going to make the wooden sticks Spain making the little white flags