Thread: help! warp wont run on 12v source

help! warp wont run on 12v source

I tried this question earlier but no one had any answers so I thought I would try again.

I am trying to run my warp of the power from my revolution hopper. The output voltage from the hopper is 11 volts. If I hook this to the black and red wires on the warp (for the battery) The warp motor runs continuously.
    I have also connected the warp motor to the hopper motor so both will run together. If I put a 9v battery back on the warp it will run correctly with the warp and hopper spinning together from the warp sensor.

Anyone know what's going on?
    Thanks
    MAC

If you raise the voltage powering the warp from 9 to 12 you need to adjust the sensitivity. I haven't verified this, but it appears that applying voltage to the warp motor causes interference with operation of the warp (as you would in your setup when the revvy applies power to the revvy's motor when the eye is not blocked). If you want to leave them connected like that you should consider isolating the warp from the revvy with diodes.

Hey Hitech your starting to sound like me! - AGD
    Hitech is the man.... - Blennidae
    The only Hitech Lubricant

I tried adjusting the sensitivity with the potentiometer on the board but it didn't help.

As far as the power it is coming from the rev but to the warp board and then to the warp motor for the stock connections. This way the warp board still functions and controlls spin. The eye has also beem mooved so it is always unblocked and the power is always on.

Does this make a difference on needing to isolate the warp motor better?
    Thanks
    MAC

I am unsure of what you have done. A circuit diagram would help. Regardless, a few questions. First, did you connect ANYTHING to the wires going to the warp motor or to the motor itself? Second, what wires did you run (exactly from what, to what) between the revvy and warp? Third, are you SURE that you are only powering the warp with 12 volts (did you test it with a meter)? Remember, the "12 volt" revvys are powered with 18 volts (2x9 volts). Some have 12 volt regulators, some do not.

It would help to know EXACTLY what wires you ran where. A diagram would be better.

Good luck,

Hitech

First question. The warp motor is connected to the motor on the rev.

As far as what wires I used.

First I cut the wires to the rev motor from the rev board. I did this because the power out of the rev board to the hopper eye is 18 volts and the power out of the rev board to the rev motor is 12 volts. Actually measured between 11.4 to 10.9( I measured this a number of times while messing with this). I took these wires (red and white) and connected them to the red and black wires going into the warp board. The red and black wires were the wires with the nine volt plug connector. (I cut this off to make these connections) This way the input power is 12 volts from the rev batteries/board not a 9 volt battery.

The red and white wires from the warp board are still connected to the warp motor (I did not alter these) Then I have sodered a new white and red wire from the warp motor to the rev motor.

As far as the eye on the rev I have moved this only to keep it on at all times so power is constant to the warp now.

The idea is to use the rev battery and board as power only(because it is already 12 volts has an on off switch and low battery light) to power the warp and let the warp board run the warp motor and rev motor.
    I hope this is clearer. I can do a diagram but not untill I am home from work.

Thanks
    MAC

As long as the extra load (revvy motor) doesn't hurt the warp circut board that should work fine. The problem you are probably having is that since you have increased the voltage powering the warp to aprox. 12 volts you need to run the "break in" procedure. Put two cheap 9 volt batteries in the revvy, turn it on and adjust the warp sensitivity so it spins and let it run until the batteries die. Then put in fresh, high quality 9 volt batteries and adjust the sensitivity/dwell again (see the warp manual for instructions). BTW, I had to do this when i increased my warp to 12 volts. Good luck.

thank you I will try this tonight and let you know tomorrow
    MAC

There is way too much noise and current variances coming from a 12V source. When we tried to do this with our e-mags our warps kept spinning and spinning and spinning...

What you need to do is put capacitors inline to filter out the current. The procedure is explained here...

www.robagd.com
    Did you hear about the new european weapons contracts? France is going to make the wooden sticks Spain making the little white flags

I ran the warp in today using 2 new 9 volt batteries. The warp stopped spinning before the batteries were dead. Now the warp doesn't spin from the rev power even with new batteries. It will spin from a direct 9 volt but not with the vibration sensor, only by pushing the primer button.

now I am confused. any ideas on what happened?

Thanks
    MAC