Thread: Automag clones

Automag clones

Are the automag clones collectable. Only I have seen one up for sale recently in (what looks like) good condition. It looks like selling for about $80. Is that a good price?
    TonyF
    U.K. Importer for Nexed Paintball Clothing & the "Boomer" Freak Tip @ http://www.pro-paintball.co.uk Offering special "Team Deals" to ALL teams!
    ==================================
    Also visit http://www.pc1staid.co.uk for Special "Baller" prices on all Computer Equipment and PC repairs.
    ==================
    Powered By:
    Quantumised & Warped, Intelli-Z-Grip LX RT & Warped, Z-Grip LX RT.
    ==================

What the heck are you talking about. There arnt any clones that ive ever seen. Most clones are cheap blowback guns made off of the Spyder. Do you have any pics?

i think there was a company that had a mag clone, it was a really long time ago tho

Here's a pic (i hope)it's marked as a Colonial. As you can see this is not a blowback. The current owner said that all parts are interchangable with AGD parts!
    If the pics not there, I have uploaded to http://www.tonyf.dsl.pipex.com/i-1.jpg.

The Colonial was a copy or clone of the automag. It was made by a long time ago by a guy called Mick Holdaway from the UK. It was not known for it's build quality. In theory parts are interchangeable from the automag but it was never built to the same tolerances as the mag so I only ever knew of one that was reliable!

I don't think it is worth much other than for novelty value. But be aware AGD will not support or work on it, and it may turn up to be very unreliable...

manike

Just interested it it really. It caught my eye. If anyone is really keen on buying a poor copy, it's on ebay at http://makeashorterlink.com/?X59B21141 and no it's not me selling it!
    Thanks for the info.

Dessert Fox is similar to a Mag...
    You smell like dookie... No really though.

i want it!! it would be cool to play " pick the mag!" put them both on a table, and let people guesse on which is the mag. or let them shoot it to demonstrate AGD quality and why Quality shoots straight...
    "You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." -John Morley

Clone's

There was one, it was made by Sherdian. It had a trigger pull from HELL!!!!
    The name was something like the Eliminator???

uh

wasnt this the same company that tom has competion with, so in order to beat it, he lowered his prices, and include 12v revvys in the paclkage or sumtin

or am i on the wrong company, but i do know that happened, and what the hell is that?? expansion tank???
    Canadian Bunker Boyz - CoCaptain
    Rainstorm Cocker FS/FT
    chris_brimson@hotmail.com

If I recall correctly, Tom said at some point that rather than taking the trouble to sue one of the clones, AGD made a clever marketing move and included the VL2000 stock with mags, thus driving the clones under because they couldn't compete price-wise still make a profit.

The ICD desert fox is very similar to the mag, but uses a more conventional slotted spring-loaded sear and has bolt operate the on/off valve via a narrow extension of the power piston that extends all the way to the back of the air chamber and depressed the valve (opening it) when the bolt was in its rest position. After '98 ICD did away with the on/off completely and used the volume it would have taken up to expand the air chamber and thus decrease the operating pressure of the marker. There's a great Desert Fox page here with a lot of good info and diagrams of its operation; also has links to pages on the other ICD 'cats.

The Sheridan gun was the Equalizer. I've never seen one, but as I understand it the marker had a some ingenious aspects but suffered from poorly designed air passages. I've tried searching for information on it online but without much success -- if anyone knows more I'd be interested. Armson also makes (or made) a blow-forward marker, which (again, if I recall correctly) was unique as it didn't include an integral pressure regulator.

Oh, and yes, that looks like an expansion tank -- at one point not an uncommon use of 4oz CO2 tank; basically a cheap expansion chamber.

i've shot an equilizer .. actually had a pull reminisent of the old vm-68/pmi-III .. although it felt rather cheap in my hands..

i am pretty sure i could track it down if someone where to say they would be interested in purchasing it..
    Sig image file size too big... MarkM

".. yes ma'am, our DSL does sux .."

thats dumb..sum1 copying automags
    Someone took away my cool sig. *cough*mod*cough*

i also would like to know about the sheridan clone...

Information on the Equalizer is here: http://www.munkies.net/munkies/info_pics/equalizer/

Calling it an Automag clone is being pretty generous - it's a blowforward gun, but it honestly is much closer in design to the earlier Southern Pneumatics Phoenix (the Phoenix is where Sheridan ripped the RG-1 reg from) and is most similar to the later CMI LS-2000.

"imitation is the biggest form of jealousy"

(did i say that right,i dont think so)

(flattery?)

I think you want "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

I actually owned an Equalizer for a short period of time, until I traded it for an F-4 Illustrator. The gun was "LOUD" and had a very stiff trigger pull. I remember the owner of the store that sold it to me telling me never to open it up because it was a pain to put back together.

~Fred
    www.stupidace.com
    GOOD TRADERS: Tunaman, RogueFactor, ah137, Squeegeekid, Thelar, WebShock