Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tech Conference Dinner?

Tech Conference Dinner?

All,

As the guy who instigated the last tech conference I thought I'd try a similar ploy. I'll be spending the Sunday night before the conference in town (hopefully at the Hotel) and am wondering who else will be around.

Maybe we can set up dinner somewhere and talk Tom, the techs, and AO biggys to show up so we can meet, greet, eat, and swap stories.

I signed up for tech conference so will be definitely attending (unlike what happened during the last tech conference I couldn't attend at the last minute) and would like to rally everyone who'll be hanging out Sunday evening.

Please post to this thread if interested. Mods would you consider making this sticky?

-Calvin

I will not be in Cranberry Sunday night, but seeing as I only live 30 mins away I am up for dinner. If you guys want we can even head into the city. It's only about 20 mins away, but for some reason most people who come to the IAO never have any idea what the city looks like I can fit 5 people in my car (including myself) so I can even drive some people.

nerobro, skreemer and i will be in town that night.
    As society and the problems that face it become more and more complex and machines become more and more intelligent, people will let machines make more of their decisions for them, simply because machine-made decisions will bring better results than man-made ones. Eventually a stage may be reached at which the decisions necessary to keep the system running will be so complex that human beings will be incapable of making them intelligently. At that stage the machines will be in effective control. People won't be able to just turn the machines off, because they will be so dependent on them that turning them off would amount to suicide

sometimes I just freaking hate people. which means the next day I will love them for the sake of balance, but right now I will just concentrate on the hating. Hate hate hate. Blaaaarg!

turborev - with ai like this, if it controlled any more than a paddle, it would kill you and everyone you care about.

Sure we can do dinner!

AGD

OK, here's the deal...

I've got a room booked at the Sheraton Hotel for Sunday night.

Let's start the basics for the plan. I'll try to look into interesting places to have the get-together. Right now we should plan to meet in the hotel lobby at 6pm if you're staying in the hotel. Once we decide on where to go I'll post that as well - so that people staying off-site can meet us there.

I'll also start a list of confirmed attendees as far as the VIPs go. List is going to start out with AGD

Jason, Could you possibly suggest places to go out to dinner?

-Calvin

ill be at the Comfort Inn throughout the week(right beside the Sheraton) so im game for a dinner, preferably something close to the sheraton, but i know whats good for me would be bad for someone else so ill do my best

hmmmm. I'm not able to attend the tech conference but might be able to meet with everyone. I live right by the Pittsburgh International airport (about 30-40 minutes). I can also drive/carpool if necessary.

RocP15126

Edit: Hey Muzikman how about Station Square - lots of different resturants, views of the river, Heinz field, etc and easy to get to.
    Last edited by Rocp15126; 07-15-2002 at 02:50 PM.

I'll be there.

I will be follow BlackVCG wherever he goes ...
    "It's my buddies gun"
    "I just bought it"
    "It came that way"
    "I borrowed it "
    I HAVE HEARD THEM ALL, SO BE ORIGINAL !!!

My gun says I'm holding it back from doing great things ...

I'll be there!! I'm camping out in front of the Stageing Area. I'll have a huge tent set up, so everyone better come by. Just let me know where and when the dinner is and I'll be there.

I was thinking about Station Square as a good place (As was ROCP). The one thing I was trying to think of was good Pittsburgh place to eat, and Station Square does not have any. They have Hooters, Philthy McNasty's, Hard Rock Cafe, Hullihans, An Italian Place (the names alludes me right now), The Cheese Cellar, The Grand Concourse and Gandy Dancer (But those are two places Paintball should avoid). I think that is about it. I was thinking a great place to eat in Pittsburgh if you have never been there is Primanti Brothers. They are the local Mecca for after bar 2am eant'. They are home to Pittsburgh most famous sandwich. But to enjoy you usually have to have a few beers in ya. So, on that note, my vote is for Station Square, eat at Philthy McNasty's (damn Canadians are taking over da 'burgh) or the Cheese Cellar and then I'll treat everyone to a ride to the top of Mt. Washington on the Incline (make sure to bring your cameras). And for anyone 21 or over, we can even hit the South Side afterwards. But anyway...I say we vote...below is a list of my favorite eating spots in the 'burgh and a link to their web site (if they have one). Remember, these are not in any order and some might not be in the nicest parts of town

1. Any of the places mentioned above (at Station Square)

2. Primanti Brothers (4 City locations) http://www.primantibros.com/

3. Penn Brewery http://www.pennbrew.com/

4. Max's Allegheny Tavern http://www.maxsalleghenytavern.com/

5. The 'O' (The Original Hotdog) - No website found, but a great dog shop.

6. Vincent’s Pizza - No website found, but you haven’t had a pizza until you have had a Vinni Pie. Please if anyone has health problems and will die from large intakes on grease, oil, and golf ball sized toppings, please let me know and I will remove this from the list.

Those are some of my favorite eating spots and places to take out of town friends. Again, some of these are out of the way and not as cool of a location as Station Square, but they are an experience in and of them selves.

Originally posted by KayleAGD
    I will be follow BlackVCG wherever he goes ...

Umm...Kayle, is there something we should know about you and Steve?

hey im down for whatever you suggest. I always let the locals choose. As long as it isent chinese I'm fine.

if you are in cranberry you better be eating at house of chen.....best damn chinese food in the world...
    I own BlackVCG

Hmm..well..I'm not into the Chineese food...makes me sick...but I can say one thing...there is nothing in Cranberry that is the "best in the world"

Got Up?

I'm up to try primanti brothers... but given that skreemer/pacman and I will be there all week, we might hit more than one of them ;-)
    To be an AGD supporter, one cannot be an AGD bigot. -Nero

Truth is a complex thing. One must govern by simplicity. -M. Mercier, special counsel to his Majesty for domestic matters. The Brotherhood of the Wolf

"You can't outrun Death forever, but you can make the bastard work for it."

ahhhh people don't forget that Cranberry holds western PA's only Krispy Kreme store! (if you like that kind of thing.)

RocP15126

Yeah, but there is a Krispy Kreme bakery in Penn Hills. Although they are not open yet and as a consumer you can not buy direct from them, my younger brother got a few friends that got jobs there. Can we say "free" Krispy Kreme donuts!!!

haha sweet!! I'm going to be there camping on site (right next to the stageing area for most of the tournaments in fact) so people BETTER stop by for some BBQ and to shoot the breeze with me. It would be awsome to meet up with some people and hang out.

BBQ???? I'll bring the beer

Heck yeah!! I'm going to be there from the 4th till the 11th.

Question

Is there any decent priced lodging closer to the conference than the camping at the field. Right now it looks like I'm going to be driving from the field to the conference that morning, but it sounds like there might actually be some better options. Any ideas?
    Silver SFL E-Magnum
    Warped Halo-B
    45/45 Flatline

Listen to your friend Billy Zane, he's cool!

Yo, you can sleep in my tent if you dont mind sleeping in a tent!! I dont care! plus you cant beat free!

Mango,
    Just to let you know, I am going to be showing Nerobro and a few other people around town on Tuesday and Wednesday and maybe even Monday night. If your interested in joining us, your more than welcome.

This goes out to anyone else that will be around (althought some more people will have to drive).

Up, Up, and Away....

Originally posted by Muzikman
    BBQ???? I'll bring the beer
    lemmie guess.. guinness right?

Up...

Jason,

Which one of the places you suggested would have enough space to comfortable seat us all? The last one of these I attended was at the 2000 Pevs big sale - Tom, Red, Bob Long, and Pev all joined us for dinner at Hooters. The cool thing about Hooters (aside from the servers) was that they had a whole section that was "counter" or bar like, but wasn't the bar section. This worked well as it allowed for mingling among the VIPs and none were monopolized by just the few sitting close to them - while the other guests were shut out of the conversations. Any of the places you mentioned friendly to this type of "mingling?"

-Calvin

I'll be there by the 4th (early afternoon). I'd like to do something!

I'm game for anything! I just want to mingle and hang out with everyone. Just let me know the time/place to meet and I'm there. We should pick a central location to meet so we can work out who rides with who in case there are lots of us.