Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My idea (or half idea) for a closed bolt automag

Ok, I know this post is kinda old, but still, I want to put something up. I (in my head) talked to myself for quite a while about why a closed bolt gun might have more range than an open bolt gun. This is what we (I) decided on. Ok, so it has been stated that both guns fire in the same order, but the gas release times are different, this is very true. However we all seem to have forgotten about gravity.

In a closed bolt gun, the ball is fired from the "rest" position. This means that there is little or no movement occuring as far as the ball is concerned. In an open bolt gun the ball is fired from a non-stationary position, the ball may be rolling or the paint possibly swirling inside...hmm...which way would paint swirl?

I believe that the possible "roll" and "air bearring" effect i've read about when combined together may cause a foward-spin on a ball. A foward-spin on a ball would cause the exact opposite of what tippmanns flatline barrel would. (obviously) Thus, the ball looses range. I'm not saying this is "fact" it is an _opinion_, my opinion. Let me know what you think.

I think this may be how the range/accuracy arguments were started years ago. I do believe that a proper paint/barrel match makes all guns equal, but years ago, who knew about that?
    automag classic PF/HL SN# CF67778
    Ricochet A/K (actually richochets things)
    Logic Vert Frame (on the way...someday...)
    X-Valve (thinking about it)
    10" Dye Ultralite

well with a cocker it is running 80 billion gigawatts through the flux capaciter next to the pneumatics which actually transports the balls back in time the back to the present right in front of where you were shooting. the back block is moving at 88mph which allows travel... the mag just has magical eleves which are sometimes sick.....

joke...

"Thats 95 inches of PURE FRICKING DEATH!"

thats funny, but seriously, what do you think about the idea of a foward spin?

My two cents. I have a viking which is open bolt and its pretty smooth imo, I didnt really know smooth until I shot an excal which the only difference is closed bolt. I noticed that the excal has a different feel ie a lot smoother cycling and therefore it was easier to keep my stream on target. The first game I played with the excal within 5 seconds of the break I put 3 out of 3 shots on someones halo which was barely sticking out, I dont think I would of made that shot with the viking. What im saying is: open and closed bolt have the same potential for trajectory and accuracy but closed bolts are smoother shooting so they have no barrel rise and less side to side movement. However in a bench mount they would perform exactly the same.
    You better watch yo' self B!

It is usually the movement of the bolt and/or ram that causes kick or movement of the gun. If you lighten any moving parts and limit the force on them, then you have no extra energy to be dampened by the body of the gun. No excess energy means no energy to move the gun, which in turn means no kick. This is true for both open bolt or closed bolt guns.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

that makes sense thanks

Originally posted by Have Blue

Additionally, it would seem to me that a closed bolt system could theoretically be more consistent (in velocity) than an open bolt system. I say this because in an open bolt system, the ball is chambered and fired in the same process. It's possible that changes in ball orientation could affect how easily the ball is chambered, thus using different amounts of energy. This differing energy that gets robbed from the chambering portion of the sequence means a different amount of energy available for the firing portion of the sequence.
    Sorry if this has been addressed already but I didn't have time to read the whole post.

Actually the reverse is true, the more tight fitting and precise the firing mechanism and barrel then the more variables will affect the paintballs flight. So, essentially yes it could be more accurate but only if you made the pressure contacting the ball perfectly consistent along with the ball size in relations to the barrel and the balls weight. Since all the variables are not controllable, hence the world variable, it wouldn't make enough difference to actually be noticeable.
    H/L MiniMag
    Level 10
    2002 14" All American
    Palmer Male Stabilizer
    3A 71/4.5k Nitro

but would a closed bolt 'mag be more air efficient?
    *Tippman98
    *Autococker
    *RogueMag
    Boycott Smart Parts!