Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who here honestly does not care about their post count?

who here honestly does not care about their post count?

i've noticed alot lately that it seem's like people are not editing, calling themselves postwhore's and such. i am here either to help out or critisize (constructive that is...well sometimes ). well anyway's i would just like to know who would like to see the post counter takne away from your avatar and put in your profile or all together taken away. i was just getting a little ancey watching people post about nothing to get there post up. i honeslty don't care if my post count said 3 or 2 hell even 0 i am just sick of seeing these so called "post whores". well if you feel my thought's please post here.

thanks

^ only time i ever put that just playing.
    good traders- agdmagman2001, magdude25,Geoff Noble, than205, X-plosive, speedball4life, CoFFey[NiTrO], Snakebite78, zads27

it would be nice to have like 2000.. but it doesnt matter, your still the same person wether or not u have 1110000 or not. i think i have like 65? lol not even
    RT
    Ace'd Emag (sold)
    Xmag (sold)

I'm just sick of seeing the same 5 or 6 people in every post. Most of the time they reiterate what has already been said or stick to one line answers with no back-up.
    And I also like to see topics in the right forum. Hit the friendly forum with this stuff.
    You are the Wormtongue of AO.~bofh

They should take it out to reduce dumb comments, but I have yet to see a dumb post or something that was obviously just to get another number higher in their avatar. So whatever, I dont really care.
    MM19223 -=Minimag=-
    [Level-10]&[ULT]
    -Self Polished Body
    -Intelliframe nickel
    -Lapco SS 12 inch
    -KAPP Chrome gas thru-grip
    -32* Flame Drop Chrome
    -Black Macro
    -47ci 3000psi Crossfire tank
    My minimag-link working

email: dr975@yahoo.com
    aim SN: drx975

I do care, not to the point of being a post whore though. For online trades, often times guys from AO don't even bother asking for refrences, parts of the reason I assume is my post count..

It also looks shady when some guy joins AO, who has 5 some posts, trying to sell an Angel or other highend marker..

i dont care...

I have a post counter? Oh, there it is...

I never did understand why someone would care how many posts he or she has made. Heck, I could post a hundred times as much as I do, but 99 percent of it would then be noise instead of signal. As it is now, I post only when I feel I have something reasonably useful (IMHO) to contribute.

I agree with irbodden re: low post count trying to sell stuff on AO. It's just like Ebay in that regards; someone with near-zero reputation trying to sell high value items is someone to approach with a modicum of caution.

Maybe we need a means of rating peoples' posts as "signal" or "noise". Then instead of a post count, each person would have a S/N score.

BJJB, complicating things again.

Jonno, RIGHT. How many posts do you make a day, 15?

I have trouble NOT being annoyed by people who make more than 10 posts a day and reply to threads with less than a sentance. And to top it off, these are the same people who have giant signatures..

Originally posted by wyn1370
    I'm just sick of seeing the same 5 or 6 people in every post. Most of the time they reiterate what has already been said or stick to one line answers with no back-up.
    And I also like to see topics in the right forum. Hit the friendly forum with this stuff.

i think it is in a good forum, because this is for the good of the whole forum, and if you have noticed the amount of posts/thread's in this forum you will understand where i am coming from.

Originally posted by irbodden
    I do care, not to the point of being a post whore though. For online trades, often times guys from AO don't even bother asking for refrences, parts of the reason I assume is my post count..

It also looks shady when some guy joins AO, who has 5 some posts, trying to sell an Angel or other highend marker..
    i can't agree with you more or they just come here because they heard stuff sell's good and sell their stuff and hit the road
    Originally posted by Jonno06
    i dont care...
    yeah, right....lol

and another thing i don't like is when one particular person keep's haveing repetitive post's about the same gun over and over when they could do a search and find out what color they come in and when they will be released.
    Last edited by speedballbanks; 07-18-2002 at 01:21 PM.

I agree many people seem to post JUST to post something…. However, I must add that many of the top Post count holders have built that post count over YEARS of posting, actual content filled posts, etc.

There almost seems to be a backlash against high post counts now… and new members with little to none seem to want more “status” on AO than they honestly deserve, they insult long time members, make attacks, etc. and then when the longtime members defend themselves or explain where they fit into the picture, they are called arrogant or bad representatives of the sport and AO. Sorry, but I find something GROSSLY wrong with that.

AO was never concerned with post count in the past. Many things have changed, that is for sure. Good.. Bad? Well, probably both. But I can say that anyone who has been here for longer than a year (two or more is better) would remember the great conversations we used to have. They would remember how actual CONTENT was being created here on AO.

Yes, things have changed. Personally I think Tom himself caused much of the change. He wanted to open up AO.. it has been. At what cost? We will see. He seemed interested in high post numbers for the forum (and made many posts about it) and how AO was larger and more active than any other Paintball Forum… and he also pushed posting more. Now we see the results.

This is in NO way an attack on Tom. I am just stating what I see. And again, I am NOT making any judgment calls on it as a whole…. Personally I liked it better before, but that is not saying it is “bad” now… just not the same as it was.

AO of the past –
    High content, low filler

AO of the present –
    High filler, low content

This is not to say there is not a lot of content here, it is a comparison between how much of each.

Also, people seem to forget that the AO Forums are NOT a CHAT ROOM. People come to the forums and ask questions that have already been answered a hundred times and don’t even bother to do a simple search. If all they wanted was a quick answer and NOT to look for it or read any of the forum, go to the darn CHAT ROOM! One is for REAL TIME conversations, and the other is not. One is a LIBRARY of content, the other is not, but is designed for more real time interaction.

You would not hesitate to tell someone trying to chop down a tree with a hammer that they don’t know how to use the tool, or chose the wrong one. So why is it SO hard to tell them to learn to use AO properly? Hmmmmm And why is it that for such tough and hard core Paintball Players, why do so many of them have such thin skin? Hmmmm

Sorry… got off on a thought run there. LOL Just some things some people may like to think about.

www.ShartleyCustoms.com
    Custom Paintball Products and Accessories
    CLICK HERE to Check out our PDU SERIES GEAR!

its more like a paper cut that has primadonna's yelling murder... - Glickman

i would post 15times a day weither or not it counted as a "post count"....

i could post alot more,but i only post in the threads where i have something to say....the forum is here for us to post,not just sit here doing nothing...

I for one could care less about my post count. I spend most of my time reading posts because it is rare to have a question that hasn't already been answered by the other hundreds of people on the forum. Hence my post count of around 60 and yet I've been here since before AGD bought AO. SHartley is right about people needing to realize that the forum is more of a library and the chat room is for chatting. The forum is nice though sometimes to be able to discuss something when you dont have time for a chatroom, and a little bit of OT posts do add to the sense of community, but too much is just annoying and a waste.

Originally posted by shartley
    I agree many people seem to post JUST to post something…. However, I must add that many of the top Post count holders have built that post count over YEARS of posting, actual content filled posts, etc.

There almost seems to be a backlash against high post counts now… and new members with little to none seem to want more “status” on AO than they honestly deserve, they insult long time members, make attacks, etc. and then when the longtime members defend themselves or explain where they fit into the picture, they are called arrogant or bad representatives of the sport and AO. Sorry, but I find something GROSSLY wrong with that.

AO was never concerned with post count in the past. Many things have changed, that is for sure. Good.. Bad? Well, probably both. But I can say that anyone who has been here for longer than a year (two or more is better) would remember the great conversations we used to have. They would remember how actual CONTENT was being created here on AO.

Yes, things have changed. Personally I think Tom himself caused much of the change. He wanted to open up AO.. it has been. At what cost? We will see. He seemed interested in high post numbers for the forum (and made many posts about it) and how AO was larger and more active than any other Paintball Forum… and he also pushed posting more. Now we see the results.

This is in NO way an attack on Tom. I am just stating what I see. And again, I am NOT making any judgment calls on it as a whole…. Personally I liked it better before, but that is not saying it is “bad” now… just not the same as it was.

AO of the past –
    High content, low filler

AO of the present –
    High filler, low content

This is not to say there is not a lot of content here, it is a comparison between how much of each.

Also, people seem to forget that the AO Forums are NOT a CHAT ROOM. People come to the forums and ask questions that have already been answered a hundred times and don’t even bother to do a simple search. If all they wanted was a quick answer and NOT to look for it or read any of the forum, go to the darn CHAT ROOM! One is for REAL TIME conversations, and the other is not. One is a LIBRARY of content, the other is not, but is designed for more real time interaction.

You would not hesitate to tell someone trying to chop down a tree with a hammer that they don’t know how to use the tool, or chose the wrong one. So why is it SO hard to tell them to learn to use AO properly? Hmmmmm And why is it that for such tough and hard core Paintball Players, why do so many of them have such thin skin? Hmmmm

Sorry… got off on a thought run there. LOL Just some things some people may like to think about.

i have to agree about the member's being here a long time i myself have been here when it was automags.combut my name got deleted on the switch and i wasn't aloud to play paintball. now shartley you have only been here ince april i think you need to tone it down a tad . but the topic on searching and such i think the search button should be bigger lol. this morning for instance i could have been lazy and posted sponsorship from agd, but instead of that i did a simple taskless search. i think aoer's need to post more from their brain and not from their rear.

by the way shartley, have yuo noticed my grammar has improved.

*EDIT*
    Originally posted by kosmo
    I for one could care less about my post count. I spend most of my time reading posts because it is rare to have a question that hasn't already been answered by the other hundreds of people on the forum. Hence my post count of around 60 and yet I've been here since before AGD bought AO. SHartley is right about people needing to realize that the forum is more of a library and the chat room is for chatting. The forum is nice though sometimes to be able to discuss something when you dont have time for a chatroom, and a little bit of OT posts do add to the sense of community, but too much is just annoying and a waste.
    i can't agree more how it get's with the off topic in a thread when someone asks a question and it turn's into either a flame battle or when someone greet's another ao'er or ask's them what is going on. althuogh some off topic thread's are fun to read and not a bad idea sometimes. sometimes.

i could care less what my post count is. theres no point really in it. all its really showing is how much time you spend on a computer.

Originally posted by CRASHKING
    i could care less what my post count is. theres no point really in it. all its really showing is how much time you spend on a computer.
    i hate to hear that because that is deffinitely not true. yes a person may be on a computer a long time but spreading knowledge.

i know you might not be directing it to that topic but that is how i took it.

Wc Keep Guest
    actually just to clarify jonno is just below 15 at 14.50.

Wc Keep Guest
    the others are right sometimes it does matter as to the reliablity of a seller.

Wc Keep Guest
    and it also could mean that the person knows what their talking about
    then again it could be some idiot trying to get their post count up to 222.

Originally posted by speedballbanks

i have to agree about the member's being here a long time i myself have been here when it was automags.combut my name got deleted on the switch and i wasn't aloud to play paintball. now shartley you have only been here ince april i think you need to tone it down a tad .

(snipped content)

by the way shartley, have yuo noticed my grammar has improved.
    LOLROF I needed that. Thanks.

HAS your grammar improved?

I also agree that high post count does not in itself only indicate spending a lot of time online. It is HOW you spend that time that is important. And some of us just have constant access to the Internet.

LOLROF I needed that. Thanks.

HAS your grammar improved?

I also agree that high post count does not in itself only indicate spending a lot of time online. It is HOW you spend that time that is important. And some of us just have constant access to the Internet.

i figured you would and i think that alot of us have been here along time. but some of those people that have been here a long time don't have the best post's *cough*cphillip*cough*.... just kidding his post's are either hillariously funny or extremely informative. that was a joke now back to the subject.

wc keep please delete yuor post's that is very annoying childish and against ao's rules.

i have lots of post, about 8 or 9 a day, but i think that MOST of the time, i dont post things that are stupid, or at least that are over a sentence

do i care if i have lots of posts? maybe, does it matter? no

i like haveing over 2000 posts just because there are TONS of people with under 500 or 700 or whatever, but like i said, no it doesnt matter, agd could take away the post counter tomorrow and it wouldnt matter to me, i mean who cares really

anyways, posts should only count if they are of a certain quality, unlike some other peoples constant spam

Cliff
    AO MEMBER# 2967
    No Limit
    check out these killers...
    NFeel The JoyN

who cares if [people care about their post count
    ** Your image was deleted because a huge ass "protection image" comes up. The site hosting that image doesnt allow for other sites to pull from it. Like Angelfire. So host it some where else or maybe attach it to a friendly corner post and link it from there. Sorry and thanks. - Webmaster **
    Sly Irish Guy ^_^

Good Ole Amish Country, or just outside of lancaster PA
    i care why? because it generates some respect, it generates that some poeple will trust the guy with 1600 over the guy with 500 you kno?

Originally posted by Tom in reffrence to a post saying he acted like my dad...
    "That's right!
    WHO'S YOUR DADDY!!"
    ALL QUIT AND NO GO!!! Team Icky Forest-Shatnerball 2003!!!
    www.tunamart.com
    DONT SUPPORT HYPOCRITICAL MISSLEAD YOUTH, BOYCOTT HK

Washington... AKA 'Cocker Country... Come get Some!
    I've been a member for almost 2 years now. and look at my post count.

THe first year, I didn't post much. I was just learning about 'mags, and why I should/shouldn't buy one.

Finally i got a mag, and then started to post more. When things got a little slow, I kinda phased out again.

LX and the e-mag extreem buzz brought me back tho.

My Trading Feedback

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
    -Edmond Burke

Originally posted by joeyjoe367
    I've been a member for almost 2 years now. and look at my post count.
    you mean a year and 2 months?

hardly 2 years

Good post by SHartley

I think we should all have the same "status", and treat each other nicely, regardless of how long we've been here.

I agree. When I first got here, I did the same thing and now I don't. I have learned the way one conducts themselves here properly, and feel I'm better for it. To me, it was kinda like freshman orientation back in the day. You make some mistakes when you get here, take a bit of razzing or flak, but it smoothes over with time and experience. Us new guys aren't all that bad.

Hmmmmm And why is it that for such tough and hard core Paintball Players, why do so many of them have such thin skin? Hmmmm

Yeah, that's true sometimes (myself included). I think if we just try and think about the other persons viewpoint or feelings before posting, there wouldn't be that much problem with people getting irritated. That's perfectly ok that you got off on a thought run SHartley, those were some very good points. You were the first person who welcomed me here and gave me a hand setting things up, which was very nice. Like lots of other members, we don't always share the same opinions, but there's room here for us all when we respect each other. Just my "newer person" two cents.

Washington... AKA 'Cocker Country... Come get Some!
    Originally posted by Cliffio

you mean a year and 2 months?

hardly 2 years
    I was a member waaay back before AGD bought out AO, that's why my registration shows as may 2001. I posted, etc... for a couplea months before I headed out to PBC.

when PBC died, that's when I started spending a lot of time here on AO.

Post count means nothing to me!Quality over quantity!
    Now,spam,spam,spam,spam,spam,spam,spam,spam,spam,s pam,spam,spam,spam,spam,spspam,spam,spam,spam,am,s spam,spam,spam,spam,pam,spam,spam,spam,spam,spam,s pam,spam,spam,spam,spam,spam,spam,spam,spam,spam,s pam,spam,spam,spam,spam!
    [Something Cool is Here]

Originally posted by magman007
    i care why? because it generates some respect, it generates that some poeple will trust the guy with 1600 over the guy with 500 you kno?
    this is also true but some poeple who join, join to be fool's post whore and no nothing abuot the automag. so that is why people would be annonymous and everyone would be equally respected not having to worry about the low poster you see??? i think i got my point across pretty well and other poeple's point's are excellent. other's like wc keep are pointless and stupid, but oh well let's hear what you think.

As long as the post says something more than "LOL" or "he's right". It doesn't bother me. Shartley does have a good point though, new people(and all people) need to check the PBN attitude at the door.