Thread: RT Reg Piston doesn't vent?

RT Reg Piston doesn't vent?

Just had a question about a RT valve'd classic mag I'm trying to get running properly. It has Lvl 10 with a red spring installed and maybe 1000-1500psi in the tank. I don't have a chrono so I usually like to turn in the regulator nut until it starts venting, and then back off a few turns which usually puts me in the ballpark of field velocity. However, on this RT valve it won't actually start venting at all, it just let me turn it in all the way. This was new to me, so I replaced the old reg piston, which may or may not be setup for level 10, with a brand new reg piston I got a week ago from AGD. This reg piston also will not vent out the back at all, and I just thought that was odd. All my previous mags would do this, and I thought that was a safety function of the reg piston? What do you guys think is wrong?

Are you running an aftermarket velocity thumb screw adjuster? I've ran into a few that were way out of spec and didn't work at all (On classics anyway, not sure if any were made for the RT)..

Nah, it's just the standard RT reg nut I'm turning with an allen wrench. I'm hoping to get my tank filled this weekend and get the gun chronoed to see where I'm at, but I have a feeling something is amiss. I have a history of getting finicky RT valves...

Is the tank regulator gauge actually telling you the truth? Perhaps the tank pressure is less than the regulator piston venting pressure.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Mmm.. hadn't thought about that. It is just a micro guage, so could be crap. I'll get a fill this weekend and see what happens.

Update- Hit my local field and got an air fill. My RT was working perfectly so I didn't even mess with the velocity regulator nut to see if it would vent if I turned it up to much. Got it humming along nicely at field velocity, and it was shooting darts with some crappy field paint from last November, so I left it alone. "If it ain't broke..."

If the Automag elves stay happy, I'll be slaying muppets in the woods with this baby next weekend!