Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts after playing X-ball

Thumbs up My thoughts after playing X-ball

Well, on the 20th of July, the team I play for ( Misfit Toys) participated in an X-ball trial at our homefield Paintball Adventure Park in Taneytown MD, set up by Diablo.

Diablo supplied us with 20 cases of paint and sent down the refs that will be reffing the Nations Cup to ref us.
    Opie of Trauma ran everything. It ran very smoothly, I was suprised at how well it ran. We didn't have the scoreboard in use that they will have in Pitt. But everything was displayed on Opie's laptop and he verbally kept us up on the times and scores.

The refs seemed on top of things. They had to make up a few penalties for us, as we don't push the grey area very much. They wanted to see how well it worked having guys come out of the penalty box in mid game. I must say, it worked much better than I thought it would.

Everybody that I discussed it with on my team loved playing this.
    It took about 2 hours to play one complete game. Talk about exhausting! There were times we were back on the field like 6 or 7 minutes after we came off the field. You'd have to be an olympic athlete to play this way all the time. I dont see x-ball ever overshadowing the current format for this reason. But it was very fun and a new format like this is a sure fire way to escape burnout.

The only problem they encountered was the coaching from the sidelines. I'm not exactly sure what they didn't like about it. My theory is that it was sometimes too difficult to make a good move since there was always a set of eyes that could see what you did and then convey that to the other teams. I thought it slowed the game down a bit and made players a bit more cautious, and thats totally opposite of what they are trying to do with the x-ball format. From what I can tell, the sideline coaching is still up in the air and may or may not be going on at the nations cup.

I dont remember what the score was at the end of four quarters, but it was tied and we had to do a sudden death overtime quarter. Well that didn't go so well for my squad as it came down to 5 on me. Yeah, you guessed it, we lost by one point.

I must say our captian Eric Holland did a fantastic job for us. Not only did he get us involved with this, but he managed to get enough of our guys out there to field four 5 man squads, two coaches and a handful of support people to fill guppies and tanks between games. I'm sure everybody here recognizes the herculean task in getting that many people together and running smoothly.

On a lighter note, Graham Easton was one of the refs and every single time he spoke on the field, I just stood there, I had no idea what he was saying. He must be the designated ref to handle the English team. If they all talk like that nobody else will understand them. They invented the stinking language, how come they don't speak it?

Well thats about covers it, if anybody has any questions about how it ran that I didn't answer, I'll be glad to scour the old memory

Tremis
    " Free thinkers are dangerous"

www.tremis.us

from what you say it seems like Xball has accomplished its main goal of making paintball mroe spectator friendly. Cool.
    Fear The 'Fro

I didn't care for the X-Ball idea when it was called USPL.
    "Shoot straight up in the air and hit the other team on top of the head...European teams do it all the time" D.A. 2001 Gettysburg

Maybe it gets better when you remove Steve Davidson from the mix Nah, I'm just kidding, Steve seems to be a good guy.

I couldn't see myself playing in an Xball league or anything, But I could see playing it once or twice a year. Its so much faster paced, I couldn't keep up. We played like 6 or 7 games in a 10 minute period. It definatly puts the focus on Physical fitness, reliable equiptment and being prepared. You just dont have time to be slow,catch your breath, fix a gun, or look for 9 volts or some such stuff.

I am interested to see how its played at the nations cup. They are going to have 40+ bunkers on a 5 man field. The thought being that it will make it easier to move and thats what they want, more movement.

Again, my opinion is that as something different to play its fun, but not enough to replace the standard format.

Tremis

guess I've bee out of it, WHAT'S X-BALL!?!?!?!?

sounds like fun. i read a short article in my 2xtreme magazine.

i think it is goin to be on TV? i may have just made that up to appease myself :], but i think it is goin to be on ESPN2?? hopefully anyway.

any ideas about that?

dan

On a lighter note, Graham Easton was one of the refs and every single time he spoke on the field, I just stood there, I had no idea what he was saying. He must be the designated ref to handle the English team. If they all talk like that nobody else will understand them. They invented the stinking language, how come they don't speak it?
    They invented a heap of games as well Cricket, Rugby Union, Rugby league, soccer....They cant play those as well LOL

"Diablo supplied us with 20 cases of paint"
    "supplied us with 20 cases of paint"
    "us with 20 cases of"
    "with 20 cases"
    "20 cases"

*Vegeta thinks that is a lot of paint (by his standards)

Sam agrees. But 4 five man squads means a case a person. Not too much. Lots of paint, but not too much
    My Feedback

"Game...Blouses"

Angry What's with all the xenophobic rubbish?

We still speak English over here, it's just been corrupted by those we kicked off our shores

Originally posted by Lone Brain Cell
    They invented a heap of games as well Cricket, Rugby Union, Rugby league, soccer....They cant play those as well LOL
    Strange, we are currently beating India at Cricket, Made the quarter finals in football (soccer) as did America, I might add... where were Australia? The great British Rugby League Team and the English rugby union team are both forces to reckon with in their sports...

manike

OK....we are no good at Soccer!
    But u guys are still no good at Rugby Union, League and My Grandmother could beat India at Cricket

I'm only havin a lend of the Poms Mate

Arrrrrrrrggggghhhhh!!

Ok buddy, I can't just sit here and take that kinda abuse!!
    England's Rugby Team is currently the best Northern hempisphere team bar none and most of the Southern teams have lost to us frequently over the last 3 years! As for League we sre still in the top 5 in the world (although it is a northern whippet/flat cap loving sport!). And as Manike pointed out we are currently ripping India a new *** and India are one of the best teams in the world at the moment!!

Feel free to come back and flame me, I'm English and I can take it.
    Scutty
    Campaign Power

Proudly sponsored by:
    Draxxus
    JT
    Planet
    Campaign Park
    Fury Sports

Hey Scutty Welcome Nice to see you over here!

Just be aware they aren't happy about any cussing over here (even when it gets *'d out). It's more 'family' orientated than the other forums and flame fests are not the usual order of the day

Everyone, Scutty is a UK player for Amateur Team Campaign Power who have been doing very well in the Millennium series lately.

I've also been teasing him with my C&C extreme

manike

Si

Tease away mate, I am packing for Sweden and fly out tonight!! Haha!! ;O)

Good luck, wish the guys the best from me!

Ok, for those of us that have been out of the mainstream for various reasons, like say, doing a 6 month tour in Bosnia, what is X-Ball.
    I keep hearing about it, but I have no idea what it is. Is there an article I can read on it somewhere?

sarge
    When that eight foot tall goon is tapping the back of your favorite head against the wall, and asks, "Have you paid your dues?"...You tell him what old Jack Burton tells him...You tell him, "The checks in the mail".

Try here:

For all of you looking for details of X=Ball, look here:

http://207.236.192.237

Thanks Scutty for the link, I coudn't remember it.

As for the sports that the english either do or dont suck at (depending on whos side of the story you listen to) I must say, does it really matter? I watch sportscenter every morning and never see these sports covered. They must not be too imortant. I guess they just dont rate high on the scale of global imortance. Now if we were to talk about Formula One I'd have nothing but total respect for England. Even if currently an Italian car with a German driver is dominant. But either way they struggle with their own language

As for the paint, It did look like a lot. We pooled all of our guppies and our pit crew kept them filled and in some of those zap paint coolers. Everytime we went off the field we opened a cooler got more paint and left our empties. It wasn't until the end of the day that I found out how much we actually used. We had been told that it was "all the paint you could shoot" which just happened to be 20 cases. It was nice to play an entire day at absolutly no cost.

Tremis

cool, but i can see a MAJOR problem. with 4.5k and the new 5k tanks, people are going to be filling very high pressures very fast during the "pit stop" deal...

now, i dunno about you, but that scares the hell out of me, as 5000 psi is nothing to screw around with. if that tank gets too how, its coming off the reg and going ballistic.
    "The Fine Print: Discontinue use if your eyeballs suddenly get way smaller."

Originally posted by sniper1rfa
    cool, but i can see a MAJOR problem. with 4.5k and the new 5k tanks, people are going to be filling very high pressures very fast during the "pit stop" deal...

now, i dunno about you, but that scares the hell out of me, as 5000 psi is nothing to screw around with. if that tank gets too how, its coming off the reg and going ballistic.
    I don't think it will be much of a problem really. A 4500 fill at a decent station usually only takes 30 seconds or so...

Maybe at some point the players will have spare guns with identical set ups so they can just pick up their other gun and go.

I'm working my behind off to get a ticket out to go and support the UK team... still not sure if I will make it though

manike

2000 x 20 = alot of paint....

that X-ball thing looks very fun...great exercise too

sounds fun.

i hope it goes big.

would definatly like to see it some day in person. it would really bring out the athlete in paintball. that is what paintball needs as well. i think people will respect the sport more if we can be considered athletes rather then gun bearing idiots. (just the opinion of some of my friends. i exaggerated it a bit, but you get the idea).

dan

Originally posted by manike
    I'm working my behind off to get a ticket out to go and support the UK team... still not sure if I will make it though
    don't get me wrong i would love to see you state side, but its next week. isn't that cutting it a wee bit close?

Nothing like living life on the edge...

Originally posted by graycie
    don't get me wrong i would love to see you state side, but its next week. isn't that cutting it a wee bit close?
    Yep I'm hoping for a call tomorrow morning to find out if it's gonna happen or not.

If I do come out can I play with you? and some paintball

manike

Wink t heeeeeeeee

sure, but no drinking games ok? i'll sorely lose

Originally posted by Lone Brain Cell

Hmmmmmmmm, appropriately named I see

Oh nooooo, not him on this forum !
    Intimidator Shocktech with Technatrigger.
    AGD Emag Extreme C&C Lvl10 ACE.
    "Pandora, that is the FIRST C&C Extreme to ever be sold." Manike

"Destruction and reckless abandon. And you all helped to create it!
    WAY TO GO!" The EVE Online Team

Re: Nothing like living life on the edge...

Originally posted by manike

Yep I'm hoping for a call tomorrow morning to find out if it's gonna happen or not.

If I do come out can I play with you? and some paintball

manike
    ok,see...that was wrong.

yea,you better hurry up and call...

Hmm seems like NW tank quick disconnects would come in handy for this format game, swap to a filled tank in 2 sec and have someone fill the emptys during the game, that would free up some of the precious interim between games.