Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Autococker 3-Way

Electronic Autococker 3-Way

Alright, I'm a cocker owner (I like mags too though, don't get me wrong) and one thing that has always bothered me is how difficult it is to get an effective electro frame for a cocker. Once, due to some iffy timing, I shot through my safety (short stroke, of course). It was the shortest pull I'd ever seen on a non-electro marker...actually, the shortest I'd ever seen at all.

So I got to thinking that I could have a trigger pull that short if I had a short and precise enough 3 way. Why all the fuss over electro frames with standard 3 ways when you could just make an electro 3 way (basically an external solenoid i guess) that was basically infinitely short? It would be expensive, but nothing compared to the 500 dollar electro cocker kits I've seen....and timing would be tricky, but I'm sure it could be adjusted digitally or something, in fact that would be even more precise this way.

Why aren't there electronic autococker 3 ways? It seems like a good idea to me.

Erm. What do you think electro cockers use?

There are lots of electropneumatic 4way valves on the market. So many it's hard to keep track of them.

-Kweasi
    Destroy the Hype

The centerflag uses any standard 3 way.

And I'm not talking an electro frame, I'm talking a frame that sets off the three way in the same way the intelliframe sets of a revvy. Would this be feasable?

Dude, that's like what's already made, there isn't an actuating rod and coupler, just a wire running from the trigger frame to the selonoid.
    Christian, and proud of it.

My setup, built by Tunaman:

https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...threadid=50949

Good Traders: Tunaman, dnm5d, vf-xx, cphilip

FOR SALE:
    One 'cocker barrel and a pre-2k APBBOLTS anti-chop bolt. PM for info.

If you want to tinker around with some of that stuff, the SandRidge ones are definitely the most advanced. The valves and ram are rated to over a billion cycles, and they're the fastest around. Granted they're a bit bulky, but the technology involved with making something that tough and that precise just ups the coolness factor 100 times!

it would work fine. but remember, the timing of a cocker is highly dependent on how fast you pull the trigger back. so if you did it right the trigger would be just as long.
    "The Fine Print: Discontinue use if your eyeballs suddenly get way smaller."

Just FYI, sandridge doesn't make it's own solenoids, they're just plain jane mac valves, same units as are used in the brass eagle Rainmaker and AKALMP Excal.

All these units are based on automation industry parts, they're not really paintball specific, though some maunfacturuers have made modifications to suit paintball applications.

-Kweasi

Nice Idea...

But the Racegun guys have beat you to it. I purchased a Racegun kit at the IAO that has a solenoid based 5way that you replace the trigger linkage and 3(4) way with. The trigger frame (second half of kit) has a leaf type switch (Angel/Timmy like) in it that activiates the solenoid for pneumatic control, and trips an electronic ram that releases the sear.

It can be programmed using a PC or Palm Pilot. It cost $535 dollars. Came with a recharger, data link cable, CD, and NiMH battery. It is capible of cycling up to 22 cycles per second and has 4 different modes: classic (release the trigger to close bolt), semi (cycles gun completely for each trigger pull), turbo, and full-auto.

I purchased it for the full auto-mode. Look for some tests in the near future in which we evaluate the consistency of the 'cocker - as well as it's ability to feed (or not feed) at the higher ROFs

Can also be fitted with an ACE system. (Requires drilling cocker body.) The ACE is like that of the Timmy - 2 opposed eyes.

-Calvin
    From a poster at PB Nation:

""Jim, back to your cave. Bob Long is on the batphone..."

MY FEEDBACK

yall i think hes wanting to make the trigger hit a switch, which then does the work that the trigger would normally do.. no computer, no timing.. just an "electronically interfaced trigger".
    This one was done well over a year ago...
    Angry Man you didnt mention how your wanting to drop the sear tho.. still mechanical? that takes some trigger throw too..
    ColinMoritz

Chord, Chord V2, Dallara, Karta, current project: (coming soon)

That link you posted was pretty cool and 14bps on a cocker is nothing to sneeze at. I didn't even know they could fire that fast. I don't have the mechanical/electrical skills to do something like that but it's cool to know that it's possible.

My original idea was simpler (I think) but probably less effective....an electronic 3 way that is set off with the exact same method as a mag's intellifeed. If you hold down an intellifed intelliframe the hopper keeps cycling until you let go. So the same idea would go with the electronic 3 way....the 3-way would remain in the "on" position while the trigger was held back and once it was released it would go back to normal. Just like a normal 3 way, but set off with an electronic switch instead of being pulled manually. This could be timed by adjusting where in the trigger pull the switch was set off (maybe you could move the switch in the grip frame from side to side a little to do this). This would be so cool! Btw, this would be with a slide trigger, not a hinge cause the switch would be placed under the trigged plate.

Anyone know where to buy a solenoid that would work like a cocker's 3 way and be converted into one?

Well, I found a solenoid store. These things look cool. Anyway, I'm wondering if I want a 3 way or 4 way solenoid. Here's a link to one that looks good:

http://www.valvestore.com/assolval55.html

24VDC and 1/4"NPT inputs? Maybe something a little less.....um....insane?

-Kweasi

Yeah, I didn't look at the item very carefully. I'd need a flipping battery pack to use it. Anyway, I can't really find anything smaller....if you know where to look that would be excellent, though. If I can pull this off for like 70 dollars it would be pretty sweet since these solenoids seem not to be as expensive as I thought.

Look at the valves already used in paintball. I'm afraid I don't know serial number off by heart, but I think Have Blue does. Look at MAC's, SMC's, parkers/skinners, even humpheys. But you're looking for the really small ones, and some that run at reasonable voltages, ie less than 9v.

-kweasi

Thanks. Btw, I will need a 4 way 2 position and NOT a 3 way valve, right? Just making sure.....

yes youll need a 4-way valve. some goon started the whole "3-way autocoker valve" typo/misinformation and its stuck for good.
    to power-drive (ie- no spring/constant air return, etc..) a ram IN and OUT, you need a 4-way valve.

hope this helps..

out!

That does help, actually, although I called some pneumatics store an hour away from me and they beat you to it. Actually, I asked about a MAC 44 something or other mini-4 way valve that weighs 1.6 oz. It seems like a good bet if I could get hoses between it and my cocker that it would work. I'm also finalizing a design for this thing where the switch that turns on the solenoid will also be the trigger stop (which will be adjustable for timing and adjusting the trigger pull), and I can manually time the cocker to fire right before it.

The Mark 3 cocker from PMS was a normal cocker with a microswitch setup on thr trigger to trip a solinoid. the trigger was something on the order of one mm. it still had a mechanical sear.
    To be an AGD supporter, one cannot be an AGD bigot. -Nero

Truth is a complex thing. One must govern by simplicity. -M. Mercier, special counsel to his Majesty for domestic matters. The Brotherhood of the Wolf

"You can't outrun Death forever, but you can make the bastard work for it."

huh huh huh....i want an electro autococker
    I'll give you a piece of my mind...

piece of my bum.

InvisibleBill Guest
    I known that the guy in a pro shop in Portland oregon can do 14 bps on his autococker, but it is mechanical, no electronics. He also has a $1000+ cocker. He also play on Exile, Am B of the NPPL, which might have something to do with why his gun is so nice. Oh, and does sandridge modify, or do they make there own autococker?? IB.

Angry - you should start browsing through www.radioshack.com for an appropriate switch. I can help you dremel out the gripframe so you can mount the 9V battery and the switch just like my intelliframe. It'd be nice to see a picture though.

I've had a homemade electro-cocker for three years. it hasn't always been the same though. at first I concentrated on a direct solenoid actuated sear, then a highly modified 4-way(the oracle cocker now uses the same design I used then). then I made a solenoid that mounted onto a frictionless 4-way. now I use a mac valve for the recocking and a direct solenoid actuated sear much like the race gun design, but a bit simpler.
    if you really want the most bang for the least amount of buck, design a solenoid actuated sear and use an oracle cocker 4-way. this combination will give you a really short, light pull for for the least amount of money and the simplest circuit could be used to control it.not to mention everything could be contained in the grip.
    if you go with a solenoid valve for the recock and still use the mechanical activation of the sear, it will never be as short or light as it could be the other way around.
    ~E~

Very impressive, the electrcician. That sounds really, really cool. I called up my local electronic/pneumatic warehouse place and they said that they sold MAC series 44 valves for 25-40 dollars. I figured I could build a whole electronic four way set up for around 50-60 dollars, which isn't that much more than the orracle four way. So if I do any electronic conversion that'll be a part of it.

I never really considered a sear that was activated by a solenoid since I would honestly have no idea how to build one. (My best bet would probably be taking apart a cheap spyder electro-frame.)

Also, my ultimate dream would be to combine the two processes (like you've done) but the one thing I've never been able to understand is how an electro cocker would be able to "time" itself. The two steps in the trigger pull have to be the exact right amount of time apart, and the pneumatics have to be actuated for just the right amount of time. A micro-switch in the grip (very end of the pull) would accomplish this prety well, and would also be a trigger stop, but I can't think of how I'd be able to combine the processes.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that I'm very curious about how you built your homemade electro-cocker. I'm pretty new to valves, solenoids, and everything so I might not understand all of it, but I'd really like to know what you did, especially relating to timing and getting a a solenoid to set off the sear. I'm also very impressed.

Here's my beast. It uses Humphrey's H040-4e1 solenoid valves.
    "I aint nevea been to jail!" "What you want a cookie?"

Your not going to decrease the trigger pull at all with your design. The new WGP 4ways can already be set incredibly short. The limiting factor in the trigger pull on an autococker is the sear/lug, not the pnuematic valve. Thats why the Nitroduck electro conversion as never popular, it still used a mechanical sear.
    -team grim-

i was always interested in an electro cocker, even back in the day. Angry Man has a little work ahead of him, but it looks like he is gonna make something work.

btw, my best bps was 16. that was with my own cocker, which i did all my own work to. you don't need an e-gun to shoot fast. but, it is a little easier!

Al
    To think I quit playing because I ran out of money! What the hell was I thinking?

the nitroduck conversion was never popular due to price.

the pull could be set less than one millimeter. So length wasn't the question. If you look at most electros that people actually shoot these days the pull is in the 1-3mm range. something signifigant. (and you can get a cocker in the 2-3mm range with the right 4way) Also note the nitro duck version did require timing. That's something the F5 didn't need. (that was the other electrococker at the time) Also note, that electros didn't 'catch on" untill long after this gun was put out of production.

the Mark3 autococker disappeared at about the same time as the mechanical matrix was being passed around skyball ;-) In other words... it was long dead before people really wanted what it had to offer.

Electrocockers time themseves by having timing values hard coded into them. They can control when both the recock and sear release happen. At least that's the case with the sandridge and raceframes. the centerflag and mark 3 both need to be mechanically timed.

You must be jesus if you can move your finger at 16bps...

Electro-Pnematic cockers have been around for a long time now.

Originally posted by eljimbo
    You must be jesus if you can move your finger at 16bps...
    no, i just had a really smooth gun. everything done to it, was done for the express purpose of ripping off alot of balls fast. and shoot fast i could.