Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Automag vs Autococker, please level with me

No matter which gun you go with you should definatly go with a Nitro upgrade. You seem concerned about accuracy and a consistant marker can help with this. Don't be afraid of the mag's poor playing with CO2, becuase if you plan on upgrading to a 'high-end' marker, HPA is a must.

Cockers have appeal because they are complex, and you can upgrade virtually every part. Timing really isn't an issue.

Mags don't look nearly as cool as cockers - however they can be upgraded to a high-end marker with minimal parts. (This, I believe is why Mags aren't as appealing. Its really fun to go out and blow money on 15 different parts, each making your gun a little better. Instead, the mag has 3 or 4 great major upgrades. Wahoo! Not as fun as upgrading a cocker.)

My 2 cents...If you want a great performing gun that is very reliable; go for a mag. If you are crazy about upgrading and tweaking your marker; the cocker may be right for you.

I never regret buying a mag - nor would I trade it for a cocker. It is all preference, and I'm just a mag guy.

You seem to be concerned with the timing issue. I don't own a cocker, so I have never done it, so I can't speak of its ease/difficulty. I am sure that if I were to buy one, I could learn how to do it.

What you can ask yourself in this regard is, are you mechanically inclined? If something is not working right, can you figure out why and fix it? Some people can, other people can touch a rubber ball and find a way to break it.

Just something to think about.

Its not even that. My buddy Angry Man has a cocker and I have a mag. I'd like to think i'm a bit more mechanically inclined then he is. My previous gun was a rebel (spyder clone) and I just hated getting to the field and gassing up a broken marker. I'd rather be spending my time playing; not fixing my marker.

I have to takea the time to read all of this, thanks for all your responses.

No, I dont know WHERE you got the idea, im NOT looking for status, Im looking for performance....

I thought that was clear.

Thanks for the responses though

Im a new player, but im not new to paintball

Good Ole Amish Country, or just outside of lancaster PA
    hey, ok im assuming that you have a tippman, you said linkage arm, that was my key. You said your marker was poopy compared to everyone elses, now you also said it encountered some problems. Well i assumed popy was like cruddy compared to the other high end markers, meaning you wanted one. If you want performance, it hink a mag is the way to go. Just an automag, not a minimag. minimags look nice, but add the extra weight. oh well....tell us what you decide on.

I'm reading this thread and everyone keeps mentioning how you have to use nitro with a mag, this isn't true, i used co2 for quite some years and my father in law has been playing with co2 for 13 and he hasn't had any problems, the only time you'll have a problem is if liquid gets into the gun, this is easily rectified with a good expansion chamber if you really need to shoot with co2. I don't think that should be the deciding factor. I just got thru playing yesterday and I came up against some guys with cockers and was not impressed at all. I have a mini with lvl 10 and a warp and I shot way better than they did, even my teammates with stock mags plastered them. and all I kept hearing all day was how they were having nothing but problems with their guns, one guy even went back to shooting his RT. Anyway, I would suggest the mag, a stock mag is a very good gun, a stock cocker isn't that's why there are all types of upgrades, there aren't a whole lot of upgrades that really work for the mag because it's a great shooting gun out of the box, it doesn't need $700.00 of upgrades to be a great gun to play with. A stock mag is an excellent gun to play with, a mag with retro, lvl 10 and an intelliframe is a another story.

i was having this same delema about a year ago. I absolutley could not decide what to get, i started looking at both guns prices used. I found that you can get a very nice mag for 250$ or less. Leaving you with plenty of money to buy a good air system.

As stated before you can have a the most rockin mag for about 400$ in upgrades if you get these things; lvl 10 85$, retro valve 200$ (trade in program) and a intelliframe 115$.

Another option that will be out soon is the medusa frame, noone knows everything about it as of now but it's suposed to be using magnets, possibley electronics and is suposed to be very sweet.

I encourage you to look on clasifieds forum here and you can find great deal from very trustworthy people.
    Minimag body, valve: CF05240, gas-thru grip, all-american, lvl 10, tourney velocity adj., flatline 68/3000 nitro FL01255
    SOON: intelliframe/medusa

custom spyder, with every part replaced but they valve and body.

Alright just because there are a ton of upgrades for the cocker don't mean they are nessecary. And you dont need all new pneumatics to go low pressure. Pneumatics are strictly for cycling the gun. If you just want to go play I'd say get the automag. If you like to tinker with your gun and play with upgrades and the such, the autococker is for you. I'd check out www.air-powered.com for some tech help and forums for the autococker, to help you choose. Also timing isn't actually that hard. Just need to get some good step by step instructions. And you dont even really have to do it unless you change something on your gun. Or buy certain upgrades.

im not wondering how much it would cost to get every upgrade for a cocker, i just want to know how much it would cost to get the upgrades that would make the cocker the best it could be.

It's really up to what kind of player you are.

A mag setup is actually really cheap, get a tko mag with everything you need and buy an 80 dolla tank and you're set. Then the cocker setup is just about as simple and about the same price, buy a bottomline cocker setup and screw in the co2. Both are upgradeable to high end guns. I mean, the Racegrip Cocker and Extreme C&C E-mag are way up in the paintball world when it comes to performance and the beauty of it is that you can upgrade a cocker or mag up to an electro supergun. It doesn't really matter, you're choice.

Good Traders:
    Tunaman, K-villeplayer, Magman007, Mastersconi, Jon/xpm, Kenndogg

My feedback if you've dealt with me, leave some...

Fruitcat: it's what AO doesn't like.

Thanks for all the advice everyone,

I think Im gonna go for the mag

Let me dispell one thing as false that I keep hearing about the Cocker: it doesn't NEED a ton of upgrades to perform well. If you get a new trigger frame and a new barrel, you will be set as far as you need to go. Everything else is just for looks or to have the Cocker peak it's performance. Anyway, I have a soft spot for both markers, so either one you would have picked I would have said "good choice!"

So anyway, good choice!
    Converge Kills

Has anyone heard about the Palmer Blazer? I know Magkoko can tell you much more ( cuz he has one) but it is like an autococker, but it is smaller and can run co2 really well (it's made for CO2 I think.) Anyways... talk to Magkoko abuot it cuz maybe u will want that gun instead. It's pretty good i hear, especially for the price (a little more then a cocker).

My Trading Feedback Thread Great traders: PaInTbAlLeR476, Shrapnel, Magdude, I <3 Mags.

Setup:
    Polished Minimag Body
    Retro Valve
    Intelliframe
    Level 10
    AGD clear Warp feed
    12v Revvy

Originally posted by Dragoon
    If your budget minded (and it seems you are) then here is my advice.

To get the best bang for your buck by a used mag. First of all mags seem to have a lower resale value than cockers. Secondly the materals used in a mag and the great design, mean they don't wear out (a 10 year old mag will still run like new with a few new o-rings). The minimag body costs more than a standard body and the only diferences are cosmetic. They do look really nice, but think of the mini body as an upgrade you could always add later.

So check out the classifieds here and look for a mag that you can afford. Better yet put up an add of your own saying something like "I'm looking for a mag and have $350 show me what you got". You'd be amazed at what you can get. I've bought powerfeed mags with extra barrels and all the fittings for just over $150 (now that was exceptional, but you never know what you'll find - by the way that mag was bought from a local store that was selling it on consignment, don't forget to check out your local stores for used equipment).

Douglas

edit: oh and I forgot. The tank offered above for $50 seems like a good option. You get a lot for your money buying things that are used.
    This is really good advice. Buy a used marker from the classified section of AO. Make sure you check the sellers feedback. Great deals can be had if you're patient (and even if you aren't). I bought 2 used Mag's w/ Retro Valves for $350 each!

strongboy2005 Guest
    If you buy an automag then I guarantee you I give you a maximum of 2 years, if you're serious about paintball, before you get an autococker, love it, and apply the tactics you had to learn from using a lesser gun for the time before you had your cocker. Then you will realize how much you wish that you had got an autococker in the first place because you will try to sell your $400 mag and only get $200 for it on eBay. Hey, it's not spam, it's what happened to me, and I regret buying my stock mag since. If you get a mag make sure you have $500 or so to trick it out with, or it won't be worth your while.

Hooray! two and a half month old threads! bring'n back the classics!

Originally posted by InfinatyBPS
    ITS A TRAP!!!!!

Remember this, if you ever get enough money and think you need a high end gun, you can always, upgrade the cocker and mill and ano the body if you want... I don't think you can turn a minimag into a realy high end marker
    I beg your pardon!
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Yes… lots of old threads being dug up, and by new folks, or people who may have had accounts for a long time but don’t post often. LOL

But what I find funny is that it gets dug up with posts like this:
    Originally posted by strongboy2005
    If you buy an automag then I guarantee you I give you a maximum of 2 years, if you're serious about paintball, before you get an autococker, love it, and apply the tactics you had to learn from using a lesser gun for the time before you had your cocker. Then you will realize how much you wish that you had got an autococker in the first place because you will try to sell your $400 mag and only get $200 for it on eBay. Hey, it's not spam, it's what happened to me, and I regret buying my stock mag since. If you get a mag make sure you have $500 or so to trick it out with, or it won't be worth your while.
    Strong… if you don’t like mags, why not just find a forum owned and run by a company that you DO like? And why do I find the term “tricked out mag” so funny? LOL What a troll.

I don't think you can turn a minimag into a realy high end marker

Superbolt

20. strongboy2005 Guest
    Originally posted by shartley
    Strong… if you don’t like mags, why not just find a forum owned and run by a company that you DO like? And why do I find the term “tricked out mag” so funny?
    I'm saying that a stock automag is not worth having unless you're going to put some serious dough into it so it can compete. I got a used freeflow autococker for $355 on eBay, I've put at least that much INTO my old mag not to mention what I originally paid for it. Then it only sells on eBay for $220, and i know why. BECAUSE IT SUCKED. Autocockers are better lower priced guns. If you get two people to each spend $400 on a paintball gun, exluding the price of tanks, drop fowards, hoppers, or barrels, the guy who bought the autococker would have a better gun, plain and simple. Now when it comes to the larger sums of money ($700 and up) the automag guy would actually be able to compete with the cocker guy. But the plain fact of the matter is that unless you are planning to buy a mag for $200 on eBay and put $500 into it I could almost guarantee that if you plan to play in tournaments you will eventually end up getting a better gun. Automags (of course without $500 worth of upgrades into them) are their own category. While on the one hand they are comparable against tippmanns, on the other hand they are still classified under the high end semi autos because the other people with $1000 mags ***** and moan when mags are not classified on the same level as autocockers. I'm saying a stock classic mag is not a high end semi auto until it has some serious dinero invested into it.

strongboy2005 Guest
    my cocker that I got for $355 in case you were wondering:

strongboy2005 Guest
    another

Originally posted by strongboy2005

I'm saying that a stock automag is not worth having unless you're going to put some serious dough into it so it can compete. I got a used freeflow autococker for $355 on eBay, I've put at least that much INTO my old mag not to mention what I originally paid for it. Then it only sells on eBay for $220, and i know why. BECAUSE IT SUCKED. Autocockers are better lower priced guns. If you get two people to each spend $400 on a paintball gun, exluding the price of tanks, drop fowards, hoppers, or barrels, the guy who bought the autococker would have a better gun, plain and simple. Now when it comes to the larger sums of money ($700 and up) the automag guy would actually be able to compete with the cocker guy. But the plain fact of the matter is that unless you are planning to buy a mag for $200 on eBay and put $500 into it I could almost guarantee that if you plan to play in tournaments you will eventually end up getting a better gun. Automags (of course without $500 worth of upgrades into them) are their own category. While on the one hand they are comparable against tippmanns, on the other hand they are still classified under the high end semi autos because the other people with $1000 mags ***** and moan when mags are not classified on the same level as autocockers. I'm saying a stock classic mag is not a high end semi auto until it has some serious dinero invested into it.
    I see quite a few flaws in your argument (mainly, how in the heck can you put $500 worth of upgrades into a standard mag? You've already axed barrels, hoppers, drops, and tanks from the list of expenses. If you wanted a retro valve, that'd be $200. Another $80 could get you a Lvl 10 kit. $280 and you get the fastest recharge rate on the market on a marker that refuses to chop. Maybe a new frame, but that's not always necessary. What else are you considering 'upgrades' that would add up to $500?)

I mainly have a few questions concerning the last few parts of your post.

Who, in particular, doesn't classify mags on the same level as autocockers?

Did you know that there is a range of different types of mags you can get? Classics, minis, RT Pros, emags? Just like the autococker, there is a ladder that you can walk up. I have a RTP. I've never once thought my marker 'under' any cockers or angel or timmies or anything else on the field for that matter.

And, um, I've seen RT Pros selling for $400 on the classified forums here. Let me tell ya, a stock RT Pro can hold its own against even the mightiest electro, or even a cocker overflowing with magical elves. It's all about the player, not the gun.

Just one last question--have you ever actually shot a mag? Just wondering....
    Don't think of it as being outnumbered, think of it as a wide target selection.

strongboy2005 Guest
    Originally posted by DaosBeoulve

I see quite a few flaws in your argument (mainly, how in the heck can you put $500 worth of upgrades into a standard mag? You've already axed barrels, hoppers, drops, and tanks from the list of expenses. If you wanted a retro valve, that'd be $200. Another $80 could get you a Lvl 10 kit. $280 and you get the fastest recharge rate on the market on a marker that refuses to chop. Maybe a new frame, but that's not always necessary. What else are you considering 'upgrades' that would add up to $500?)

I mainly have a few questions concerning the last few parts of your post.

Who, in particular, doesn't classify mags on the same level as autocockers?

Did you know that there is a range of different types of mags you can get? Classics, minis, RT Pros, emags? Just like the autococker, there is a ladder that you can walk up. I have a RTP. I've never once thought my marker 'under' any cockers or angel or timmies or anything else on the field for that matter.

And, um, I've seen RT Pros selling for $400 on the classified forums here. Let me tell ya, a stock RT Pro can hold its own against even the mightiest electro, or even a cocker overflowing with magical elves. It's all about the player, not the gun.

Just one last question--have you ever actually shot a mag? Just wondering....
    For a tournament ready mag...

Good body ($130), Lvl 10 Bolt ($85), Retro valve ($200), and an Intelliframe ($115). Adds up to $530 for a tournament mag (not including the $200 for the original gun).

I know all about the automag hierarchy, and I was not referring to the preformance of those guns, I was referring to the preformance of the stock classic mag, which is comparable to an upgraded spyder.

And yes, I owned a mag for over a year, put $130 into it and realized for the ammount I had into the gun I could've bought a 2002 cocker that would have outpreformed it in every aspect.

What are you talking about?Good body ($130)

Ignorance is bliss.....

The day a 2002 cocker(350)+ a cheap tank(70)(420 total) outperforms a TKO mag (270) with level 10 (85)and a cheap tank (70)(425 total) will be the day i die.

It totally outperfomed it here!!
    cocker
    mag
    Both on n2 i might add, and the reason for those results are here.
    MAGS consistancy
    COCKERS.
    Hmmm to make the equal we need a 100 buck reg on the cocker, lets throw it on! so what then? 2002 cocker/reg for 520 total nearing the performance of a level 10 mag for 420.
    Do your homework bud.
    Last edited by Brian68mag; 11-19-2002 at 04:58 PM.
    Level 10 Centerfeed polished Emag With J&J 2 peice.
    Level 7 Powerfeed left 68 Mag' With J&J ceramic barrel.

lol i recommend what i did... buy both! lol anyway i like my mag just as much as my cocker(im selling the mag though most likley and will buy an E-Blade for my cocker and an emag later) the fact is you gotta shoot both guns and know which you like sure the mag may be cheaper but if you cant shoot it or dont like to no matter what you do then it isnt cheaper, theres a gun for everyone you just gotta shoot it

strongboy2005 Guest
    Originally posted by Brian68mag
    so what then? 2002 cocker/reg for 520 total nearing the performance of a level 10 mag for 420.
    Do your homework bud.
    Preformance? Those are accuracy tests, which are debateable. Conditions, paint/barrel match, ect are all deciding factors.

Now, take that same cocker and that same mag and see which one shoots faster.

Speaking of the cockers/mag thing you wouldn't nesesarily need to spend $350 for a cocker when you could get it for $299 at
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/predator...ore/aut20.html

So that frees up about 50 dollars... As for the reg, the vigilante is perfectly fine and it's only $50. So now we're at $350. So let's throw back on that cheap tank ($70). Now we're at $420 with a new reg and the tank with a cocker that will have no problem beating the mag.

BTW I was looking at the TKO and I was wondering how it would be any better then a classic p/f...

Its the same gun with a barrel, grip and bottomline included.
    As for which gun would shoot faster, uh mag?
    I hate arguing with idiots.