Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Automag vs Autococker, please level with me

Automag vs Autococker, please level with me

EDIT: THIS IS ONE OF MY VERY FIRST POSTS I cant be responsible for what it says

Hi everyone,

I am looking at a new gun, one that is good out of box but VERY customizable so I dont have to buy another gun. Right now im looking at the basic autococker and the minimag. I know many of the great features of a minimag but not so much of the autococker besides its complex. I know the autococker has to be good in some ways too. I am afraid of complexity, but I need to know if that is a serious problem or not. I love the minimag, but I also, for some reason like the autococker (they must be brainwashing me while I sleep). I'm going to buy one or another so I need help PLEASE, REAL help and not just saying "MINIMAG" because you all own mags and autocockers are evil. Which one is truely better? Whats this timing thing about on autocockers? Do things really break easily on autocockers? Which is better PLEASE

Thanks ahead of time
    Last edited by FalconGuy016; 12-11-2002 at 09:41 AM.

Good Ole Amish Country, or just outside of lancaster PA
    Hmmmmm, well this is one of the most discussed topics here on ao, and i am going to tell you to do a serch, but after I post my feelings.

Autocockers and mags buth have their strong and their wek spots. I have owned both. I went from a classic, to an rt pro, to a customized kapp cocker, and now the e-mag. THe cocker just wasnt me, i am a mag guy at heart.

You said you wanted to upgrade. Well the mag has multiple upgrades, but olny 2 or 3 upgrades that will give it better performance, these upgrades are the level 10, Retrovalve and nitro, and the intelliframe. Those are the olny 4 upgrades i can think of that really increase the mags performance.

Autocockers preform well out of the box, bot then again, you said you wanted to upgrade. Well, then you are going to want to put swing trigger frames, front end kits and so on and so fourth. This is whee things get messed up and complicated. After every new accessory is added, you have to re time the autococker.While this isnt to hard, it is a little complex. PLaying with pneumatics is not my shtik. Also, to maintain your cocker, you may have to re time it on occasion. Its really up to you.

The nice thing about the mag, is if something is wrong, about 5 orings (ar max) can 99%of the time fix your problem. Its really up to you. Now i reccomend you go do a search because you will find more infromation than just what i have told you

Originally posted by Tom in reffrence to a post saying he acted like my dad...
    "That's right!
    WHO'S YOUR DADDY!!"
    ALL QUIT AND NO GO!!! Team Icky Forest-Shatnerball 2003!!!
    www.tunamart.com
    DONT SUPPORT HYPOCRITICAL MISSLEAD YOUTH, BOYCOTT HK

Yes sorry, I should search but I get SOO much unrelated information that it hurts my head.

What is retiming?

You wan't me to level with you? it's 100% preferemce. The only way you'll ever truely know which one you wan't, is to go down to your field and shoot both

Timing/Retiming: This is a series of adjustments you make to a Cocker to get it to fire and cock in the right order. It'll determine how long the pull is, where it fires in the pull, and where it cocks in the pull. It's tricky the first few times, but it's nothing too hard to worry about. Besides, about every other paintballer on the planet knows how to do it, so there will be someone to help you out the first time most likely. Here's a great article on timing, http://www.paintballravi.com/Article...t/ACTroub.html .
    Converge Kills

Thanks... I actually might have to go with the autococker cause I dont have the money for a HPA tank for a minimag... but im afraid still.

My friend is going to get a cocker and he kind of explaiined it to me: You have to get it retimed like every 2 months(lots of use) or every year(weekend to little use). I think its because, with all the pneumatics and such, the trigger can sometimes get a little out of time with everything else so I guess you just need to get them retimed so it functions correctly. Good luck with your descision.

P.S
    GET AN AUTOMAG RT! OR MINIMAG WITH RT!

I really would like to, believe me I would... but I just cant afford it. Will the autococker run ok on c02 though?

Angry

Well, after what Overmind posted I feel downright stupid.

?

I wish I could fire both

I kind of like the autococker, but I KNOW for a fact that the minimag is a great gun. I still think I wont be able to get the minimag anyways but it hurts me if the minimag is actually a better gun.

Sigh

This retiming thing really scares me.

Does the autococker shoot farther than the minimag? Thats really appealing for me cause I seem to always need to shoot far.

not unless you aim the barrel higher.

here is a useful autococker site: www.air-powered.com

NO! IT DOES NOT SHOOT FARTHER! THAT IS A MYTH THAT WE HAVE BEEN DISPELLING FOR YEARS, IT DOES NOT SHOOT FARTHER!

how much are you planing on spending on the minimag to get it operational?

you may waht to check out the tko automag package on www.paintballgear.com And with the extra money uoiu save (comes with barrel, fore grip and so on) you coulg get a 47 ci 3000 tank for 80 dollars
    Last edited by magman007; 09-01-2002 at 01:34 PM.

ill pretend i didnt see the post about 1 gun shoting farther than another. k here is the DL cockers work on co2, but need to be retimed. after you learn how to time it takes me about 1-2 minutes to time a cocker. however what no one really touches on is short stroking. cockers are fairly easy to short stroke, mags on the other hand are far less suceptable, though it is still possible. swing frames help this a lot, but i really cant recomend any gun that a person has not shot. i really suggest you wait until you can fire both guns, side by side if possible that is the best way to be happy
    mostly he was insaine but he had fleeting moments of mere stupidity

if I get an autococker I already haev all the equipment I will need to play (getting the autococker with a bottomline is about 320 or 330 if you get an anodised one) but for minimag I will need at least 400 to get it running

but thats something , if I REALLY push , I can do (the minimag). I have to know if its worth doing, or is the autoccocker alright. I will try to get one to shoot with but I doubt I ever will be able to . Thats why I need your help and I appreciate yours responses already, thanks a lot.

ok ,im saying, look into the tko, i think there like 250 for standard and like 280 for powerfeed, then about 80 bux for nitro and your set. and your at about the same price as the cocker. and you dotn have to worry about re timing. I think you would be hapier with a mag, i know i was. you really need to try them out. i know your first day of paintballw as yesterday, and you really liked,it. I think yo uneed to come down off your high of playing and really contemplate. trust me

Originally posted by FalconGuy016
    This retiming thing really scares me.
    Timing is very easy, just as long as you know what you are doing... don't think of as adjusting a complicated machine, but think of it as adjusting 2 screws... which is true, you adjust the sear lug, and adjust the 3 way timing rod, dosen't seem to hard to me But of course you do have to adjust them to work with eachother.

Oh, and go COCKER ALL THE WAY!!!! they are great fun to upgrade and tinker with, and you can do it all over time so if you don't have money its cool.
    You smell like dookie... No really though.

I can sell u a aluminum 48/30 nitro tank for $50 if that help your decision on the mag at all.

ITS A TRAP!!!!!

Remember this, if you ever get enough money and think you need a high end gun, you can always, upgrade the cocker and mill and ano the body if you want... I don't think you can turn a minimag into a realy high end marker

agh

Well, I would like a minimag (280$) but I am looking at a crossfire 48cuinch tank (just under a 100$) and a gas through grip and hoses, I'd say at least 400$. To get an autococker I would have one for 322 with bottomline set up and I could use my own c02 and previous equipment. But, I cant decide which one is really better. And I'd need a new barrel for either option too.

The whole reason for getting a new gun after just once playing paintball is because I was on a large team and I got to compare my gun's performance with others. The others rocked. Mine kinda pooped. I think my bolt is actually damaged cause the linkage arm would sometimes come off and the bolt with be blown INTO my barrel, which then would require hammering and a dowell rod to come out. But I would like a new gun that could last me for years and be competative with others. I am now actually leaning towards the minimag but I dont know.

I like how the cocker can be upgraded into some really high end stuff as mentioned, but I think mags can be too.

How do each compare stock? Is the stock autococker better than stock minimag ? because I will be stock for a while with whichever option I get to have.

Infinity, you cant turn a minimag into a high end marker? WTF? havnt you ben here long enough to understand what the retrovalve is? i see the wink, but that usually means something is up. i think we all need to realize something. A minimag with retro and Lvl 10 is comprable to a freeflow cocker. ok?

now, the minimag is 280 right? well you can get the tko automag with powerfeed for that. THat comes with everything. The minimag is no different, olny difference is a longer body. If that floats your boat then by all means spend the money. If you really want performance, gfet the tko (with gassthro, bottomline, hoses etc) and then get nitro. if you want a minimag later on, you can buy the body. its simple really.

As for barrels, the tko already comes with an aftermarket barrel. Also, the cocker stock barrel from what i know blows.
    Last edited by magman007; 09-01-2002 at 02:17 PM.

Yes its comparable in performance, but not in status, which is what I assumed he cared about if he felt he needed a "high end" marker...

ok, good point, ststus. The kid is a new player, he wants status, but doesnt have the money for it. Isnt a mag great status? im just saying. I kno yout a cocker fan, im a mag guy. you and i have to agree to disagree, and just offer our positive feelings.

One feeling i have is that cockers to run lp need different pneus, rams, and valves, not to mention a crap load of springs. this can run upwards of 200 dollars. the nice thing about a mag, is lvl 10 only costs 85 dollars.

Also, check out the classifieds. tons of mags there, as well as cockers. you can get an already upgraded mag for the price your about to dish out for a minimag.

i think in the long run it will be cheaper to buy a mag. all the upgrades you need are the level 10 kit for 65$, an intelliframe for 115$, and a retro valve for 200$ and if you like it, a warp is around 115$. so to have a high end mag it will cost about 400$ for an unwarped mag and 500$ for one with a warp. anyone know about how much it would cost to buy the best bolt, front block, trigger frame and all the other stuff for a cocker?

If your budget minded (and it seems you are) then here is my advice.

To get the best bang for your buck by a used mag. First of all mags seem to have a lower resale value than cockers. Secondly the materals used in a mag and the great design, mean they don't wear out (a 10 year old mag will still run like new with a few new o-rings). The minimag body costs more than a standard body and the only diferences are cosmetic. They do look really nice, but think of the mini body as an upgrade you could always add later.

So check out the classifieds here and look for a mag that you can afford. Better yet put up an add of your own saying something like "I'm looking for a mag and have $350 show me what you got". You'd be amazed at what you can get. I've bought powerfeed mags with extra barrels and all the fittings for just over $150 (now that was exceptional, but you never know what you'll find - by the way that mag was bought from a local store that was selling it on consignment, don't forget to check out your local stores for used equipment).

Douglas

edit: oh and I forgot. The tank offered above for $50 seems like a good option. You get a lot for your money buying things that are used.

As an owner of an E-mag and an autococker, I have to say that it is completely up to you, in other words it is all personal preference.

I enjoy my E-mag, and will probably never use another gun in competition. I enjoy my autococker, it is a good marker and I have fun tweaking and upgrading it, the complexity of the autococker is its greatest draw and asset, in my own opinion, of course. Both markers perform well but my E-mag is my primary and secondary marker, I have owned my automag for over two years and have had no failures of the gun whatsoever.

There are many possible upgrades for the autcocker and there are not many good upgrades for the automag that I would consider beneficial. Your choice is your own personnal preference just research it well and make an informed decision. As long as your happy with what your decision is, nothing else matters.

Have fun and I hope to see you on the field....

"The BEAST"
    "No-Rise" E-mag
    Level 10 Bolt
    AGD Flatline 91cu in/4500psi
    Black HALO B

"Red Heatseeker"
    Red to Clear Fade Freak Factory Impulse
    68/4500psi Max-Flo
    Red HALO B

question: Do you like relatively long and smooth(and light) trigger pulls or short and heavy trigger pulls?

ah, the mag trigger isnt that hard....
    Last edited by magman007; 09-01-2002 at 07:37 PM.