Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team Mad Cow's first tourney, magging it up.

Team Mad Cow's first tourney, magging it up.

Well, me, lamby and a few other non-AO guys headed to a local tournament today. There were about 23 teams signed up, and we played in 6 round format due to the number of entrants.

I showed up nice and early with my warped mini-retromag, and the other guys showed up shortly after. We were sporting my mag, a warped emag, a very nice cnc oracle cocker, a spyder shutter and some other spyder.

We went in and chronoed, signed waivers, got paint etc etc etc and sat down the watch. From the beginning, it was obvious there were widely differing skill levels there - most of the matches were slaughters.

Well, soon enough our match came around. We were versus 'Bleach'. We headed down to the field, and on the way down, noticed one of our guys was missing a screw from his Spyder velocity adjuster, rending the gun non-tourney legal. We had to quickly whip out a spare level 10 hyperframed automag (which he proceeded to use and love for the rest of the tourney.)

The first game left us with a win - we got 5 eliminations and the hang, but no pull so that netted us 75 points. A 6 point 'hot shooting' penalty was applied to us, so we were down to 69. Not too bad for our first game, we were pretty happy.

The next match was a disaster in one way...

We got on the field and just tore it up. Got 5 eliminations, the pull and the hang and only lost one guy. We were pretty happy.. until we got to the chrono range. Talking about our 100 points, the guy with the shutter pulls up to the chrono. Bear in mind the limit was 260.

'340'
    '320'
    '365'

We were deducted 1 point for each fps over 260, so as you can see, we were at a pretty hefty negative. None too happy, we quickly fished out a remote for our co2 user and informed him to use it or die.

Our next game we maxed - no losses, pull, hang and 5 elims. We lost a couple of points on the chrono I think, but nothing major. Remote seemed to be working!

Fourth game was a repeat - 5 elims, pull and hang. Yet again the hideous spyder of doom struck. Our 100 points quickly disappeared. The spyder user is buying an RT Pro and a Nitroduck tank tomorrow

Anyway, we were pretty screwed at this point on loss of points from penalties, so we just played for fun. We'd won 4 games and scored perfect scores in 3 (ignoring the penalties) so we were happy with that. Our fifth game was against a pretty decent team - Alka from AO made up one of the members, and I believe wimag was the other. It was a great match, and I was the last one left on our team (I was playing back since my retromag shot about 3x faster than most of the other markers in our team, barring the emag). Alka came up on my left and someone else on my right - I was behind a cylinder sup air bunker and didn't have much space to hide. As I fired at the right, Alka caught me on the shoulder, so we scored 15 points for 3 elims in that match.

Our 6th and final match was another win for us, perfect score again. We lost a few points for hot shots I think, but nothing huge.

At the end of the day, we added up what our points WOULD have been with no hot shot penalties, and figured we would have ended up in second place. Not bad for a throw together team, and I got a lot of people looking at my warped mini-retro mag

The one incident of the day was a local team getting thrown of the tournament and told to never return for alleged continual cheating - posts have been made about this team in past, so if you play locally, you probably know who it is

I only met two AO guys there, did anyone else play?
    Last edited by Shirow; 10-27-2002 at 09:43 PM.
    Superbolt

didn't you guys ever try to chrono before going onto the field? Kinda wierd to get hot gun penalties every game..
    "I thought it through and my worst brings out the best in you." - Taking Back Sunday
    "Cheating gets it faster." - Jimmy Eat World.

Paintball outfitters
    Boostie Bomb

Yeah, we did, but we had two people running co2. The spyder shutter was the absolute worst - the one game, we got a -165 penalty for it. That's the guy that's getting the RT Pro tomorrow It was truly unbelievable.. I've never seen a gun spike like that. After the -165 penalty we were pretty much out of it, ranking wise... it's just nice to know we did so well for a throw together team, and it was cool meeting some AOers there.
    Last edited by Shirow; 10-27-2002 at 10:34 PM.

nice going, but why didnt you just tell the shutter guy to crank his velocity down reaaaal low, id rather have a player performing with a handicap than a player whose gonna take all our points away

We did, after that, but even on a short spring and chronoed at 210 he was shooting 280 after the game, it was crazy.

I mean, with a -165 point penalty it doesn't really matter at that point, you are pretty much done. It always chronoed fine off the field too, just was always screwed after a game.

Shirow: yeah it as a good day. a little behind on the starting time, but otherwise a good day overall. The Refs did an outstanding job. Very in your face on the field, great job by all of them.
    Yeah AKA tapped you in the BACK, hahaha. i was at the 50 going for the flag and i think you were behind the dorito looking laydown; you and I exchanged a littel bit of fire before you got bunkered. Everyone on our team had RT's except AKA, he was using his cocker.
    All in all not too bad, the last game broke us hard, if we would of had a good showing in that game we would have placed in 3rd, but ended up getting our butss handed to us and took 5th.
    BEZERKERS
    ALL MAG SHOOTING TEAM

sounds like that shudder is drawing liquid CO2 right before he cronies off. if he's holding his marker so the valve on the CO2 tank is down then he's drawing liquid into his marker which would account for the large spikes.

The RT and HPA is good way to fix the problem though.

Uhhhh that is great but I'd hate to be the guy shot by the spyder.

OUCH!!!!!

Congrats Shirow. That screw in adjustable must be working nice.....
    ULE Body Level 10 Automag intelliframe + retrovalve

All in all not too bad, the last game broke us hard, if we would of had a good showing in that game we would have placed in 3rd, but ended up getting our butss handed to us and took 5th.
    It all came down to that last game. Adrenalin had first locked up going into the last round and we were second or third going in and basically just needed the win, and then wait to see how the other games had gone. We actually made 2 eliminations the last game, which isn't bad for only having 3 functional guns shortly into that game. John's RT went down and shortly after that my cocker decided to refuse to recock itself. [Stripped it apart after I got home, works fine now... *shrug*] I think, had John's gun and mine been up the whole game, we could have won that game.

Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm an AO user, go to tourney, play on a team where everyone has an RT, and I use a cocker. What can you say? But, overall, the tourney went pretty smooth once things actually started. But man, did things ever start late.

Overall a fun day.

I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am. It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get...

Yeah AKA tapped you in the BACK, hahaha. i was at the 50 going for the flag and i think you were behind the dorito looking laydown; you and I exchanged a littel bit of fire before you got bunkered. Everyone on our team had RT's except AKA, he was using his cocker.
    Nah, I was at the cylinder middle standup at the back - I *think* you were coming up on my right, and alka was on my left. What happened was, the guy with the beard and white shirt (didn't know his name) was behind the 'fish' bunker and I shot him in the hopper. Alka was hiding behind him, and I didn't know that, I thought you were the only one left. So I scooted left a bit and stuck my barrel out to the right to shoot you, and Alka got me smack in the shoulder.. damn sneaky little fool

Uhhhh that is great but I'd hate to be the guy shot by the spyder.

OUCH!!!!!

Congrats Shirow. That screw in adjustable must be working nice.....
    Hehe yeah, a few people commented about it, that's why we made him use a short short short spring (it was cut too.)

My adjustable was actually leaking, so I was using my preset - for some reason that day, it was just bouncing really hard. I'd put a middle spring in it, instead of the short one, not sure if that makes a different. I could empty my hopper way too fast though

Shirow yes you are correct, i was thinking of another game. Yeah i remember you back there, I was at the 50 nonchalantly grabbing the flag and called out to AKA (Jeremy) that there was one more behind the back center. IF i had known it was you i would have left the flag and went for the bunker first.

You can try to redeem yourself at Daves's indoor 5 man early part of next year if you dare.

AKA- you back shooting mother HAHAHAHAHA. Playing DAves indoor 5 man? Gotta get Kevin so i can watch him laod and unload some more.

If I dare? Pfft, I'll take you and alka on 1 vs 2 I didn't even know you guys took our whole team out - I was shooting the bearded guy on the right, and next thing I know, our entire team is gone. Was fun anyway though, our only loss of the day

The bearded guy on "our right" or "your right"? Was he in the fish?

What happened, is we had a 3 on 2. You shot out our guy in the fish making it a 2 on 2, so I moved up to take the fish. Wimag was on the left side (our left/your right). As I came out of the laydown can on our side of the field, I snapshot coming out of that bunker and hit whoever you had up front in the center of the field. I hit him right on the feedneck of his gun.

By this point, you had switched to shoot at Wimag and left your back/shoulder exposed from your center back standout. I was coming around the side of the fish and I saw the shot, so I opened up.

At least that's what I recall...

congrats...

that really sucks about those hot shot penalties..he was WAY over..you guys really played good though..

ide rather play with 4 people than with one guy making use lose 165points

Jonno: I AGREE!!! After a -165 point penalty it was pointless to drop him though, we were so far under it didn't even matter.

The bearded guy on "our right" or "your right"? Was he in the fish?

What happened, is we had a 3 on 2. You shot out our guy in the fish making it a 2 on 2, so I moved up to take the fish. Wimag was on the left side (our left/your right). As I came out of the laydown can on our side of the field, I snapshot coming out of that bunker and hit whoever you had up front in the center of the field. I hit him right on the feedneck of his gun.

By this point, you had switched to shoot at Wimag and left your back/shoulder exposed from your center back standout. I was coming around the side of the fish and I saw the shot, so I opened up.

At least that's what I recall...
    Yes, the guy in the fish, your right. That is exactly what happened, although I didn't know you'd snapped the guy in the center. That's why I moved to shoot at Wimag, because I thought you were out, or he had that side covered.

It was a really fun game though!

Smile the 5th game

The game that you were talking about was the most fun of all of them (other than the losing part ) I was behind the stand-up on your left and Shirow was in the middle. The big problem that game is our mid front guy could not figure out the inteliframe mag and could not get the safty off. So he was useless that game (not his marker, not his fault. still funny though) his cover was blown and let your right guy get to the fish at which point took me out (nice shot too)

all in all, my first tourney was just awesome. I could never expected to do so well with a team of players that never played together, practiced, or even played tourney ball.

I think Shirow could prob shoot his i-framed RT just as fast as my E-Mag, if not damn close.

I think that mag had a hyperframe on it, not an intelli.. that was part of the problem

It was a fun game though, shame we were one guy down (I forgot about that, but I remember us ribbing him about it afterwards )

And hell yeah I can shoot as fast! I told you man, electronic triggers are for girls

Maybe, but....

I did not see any complaints from you at the range either. The E-Mag ROCKS that is that. Now if I can get this warp problem fixed I will be a happy camper again.

A couple of RTs in the back will send enough balls to keep the opponents heads down

Hehe, yeah I wasn't complaining too much Just giving you grief. Hopefully Rex will pick up that mag soon, so we don't have to put up with his hideous Spyder any longer I think once he has a decent marker he can sit in the back for a bit though - I wanna take the front for a change!
    Last edited by Shirow; 10-29-2002 at 03:14 PM.

Re: BFG 5 man Tourney

I just want to thank you guys for coming out and for your infinite Patience. All of the teams (up until one had to be ejected) were pretty cool, even after an hour and a half late start.

Mad Cows, your games were fun to ref. It's nice to ref teams who play fair and honest yet still play hard enough to give us refs something to do on the field.

So here's the story about the team that noone likes. Keep in mind this is only how I understand it. In round 4 I believe one of the players left the field without a barrel sock on. He was seen by one of the field's staff (the refs at this tourney aren't employees of the field), and promptly had his wristband cut and told to leave. This was explained at the captain's meeting, wether or not the ejected person was informed is the responsibility of that team's captain. Well, the rest of his team got pissed and they threw a fit. Exclaiming that the field sucked and vowed never to come back. Now, from what I understand and
    what I've heard noone likes these guys and everywhere they go they just cause trouble. Case in point, when BFG was still MPC they brought in field paint they bought else where that was still the same shell/fill as ours. The first time they came to the field they were passing out business cards to thier field, without asking anyone of the staff if it was cool.

There are a lot of other things they've done to make a negative name for themselves, but I've said too much bad already and I don't want to take away from anyone's good time or a good thread.

I hope to see the Mad Cows and everyone else who came up to the tourney. Like Tim said, it WILL be on time next time and everything WILL be smooth. Thanks again guys, good players makes being a good ref easier and well worth it.

Rusty, Cover Player for Team Frustration and Field Ultimate at this past tourney.
    Dark Cocker.
    Apocalypse 2k2 88cui 4500psi tank.

Old Automag with a hyper frame for fun.

Thanks Rusty, the tournament was a blast!! Glad we gave you guys something to do!

BFG is definitely going to be our winter field, and hopefully we'll keep going there even when it warms up - we'll be there this Wednesday bugging Jeff to setup another tournament.

Thanks

Thanks Rusty,

You, and all the refs, were top notch. I did not hear one complaint all day about the officials. I made a joke about the new guy (Mike I think it was) that jumped in my line and would not move. Another ref endind up grabbing him and moving him out of the way. no harm, no foul. Having good refs makes the game fun and you guys definately made it fun.

Lamby

Thanks for the compliments on the reffing guys! Team Frustration will be running the following events at BFG this winter:

3-man Rookie and Novice Tournament - Dec. 1st
    12 hour Scenario Game - Dec. 28th
    5-man Rookie and Novice Tournament - Feb. 2nd
    7-man Novice (Limted to 16 teams) - March 2nd
    Entry fees and prizes to be announced soon.

Events will start on time and run on time from now on!
    Tim
    Team Frustration
    http://www.teamfrustration.com
    Sponsored by
    http://www.hyperbolik.com
    "Your local online paintball store"

Cool, when can we start signing up, Tim?

i was there but my team did bad. got to get the rich brats off the team (one didn't know ho to adjust his velocity) but i had fun. the reffs did do great job.

last time i played a tourny, we also got screwed on the ol' chronoing at the end of each game. it seems like there are never chronos available to chrono at be4 going to play.. it sucks.

Smile

Well I will say one thing, for my first tournement I was really happy. As part of Team Mad Cow the Refs did a great job, and we all had fun as far as I know.I can't wait till the next one.But no spiders are allowed on Team Mad Cow.All Mags except for one Cocker( mine, cause I had a Mag as my back up gun). And no matter what you all say at, least the cocker wasn't shooting HOT like the Spider on the Team was.We all ready got one of the non Mag owners to want one, now it is just getting Mr. hot gun to crack and buy a real Marker.
    Just remember your moms credit card can't but you talent.

Just out of curiousity how do you guys divide up paint costs? When we played we each bought our own paint. In reality, however, this is not fair to the back player. I mean its not like the front player doesn't benefit from him laying down the ropes! Just curious.

Luckily in our case we got eliminated quickly enough that it didn't get too expensive for any one individual

bought multiple case and split the cost across the team. We know the back players will lay it all out; that is what they are for. Not an issue of being fair but more along the lines of what needs to be done to win effectively.

Just bought a case each and pooled it together - at the end of the day, whatever was left we split out to take home.

Mook, Mr Spyder is buying an Emag (or an RT Pro)+ HPA this week