Thread: Dye Ultralite Barrel?!

Question Dye Ultralite Barrel?!

Goodday to you all!

I recently bought a barrel via a german forum (I am german...) without having seen a picture of it. It was supposed to be a 14" Dye Ultralite... which is supposedly quite a good barrel for the price and for my mag.

The thing is that, after having received and opened the package, the barrel did not have the dye-logo engraved in it nor this "bulge" at the beginning of the barrel as every new dye ultralite or boomstick have. I'm not quite sure how to explain what I mean and I just hope that you do understand...

Well... my question is:
    Could this be a old dye-ultralite model? or have I been ripped off or do "no-name"-dye-replicas exist on the market? If yes... is it any good? I haven't shot it yet.

gee, hope the post wasn't too long...thanx for reading this far...

Is it completely black?

The tip should be ported the same as all the other Dye barrels. Would you like for me to find you a pic of one?

-Ron
    Pewter SFL E-Mag #EM01569
    Pewter Shocktech Intimidator

My Trading Feedback

Extraordinary Traders:
    Johnny Bravo

Good Traders:
    fcpchop, Xerces, Piccolo, hawpunch, Boble86, NCpaintballer, Chupas2, shrapnel, gump1119, Methos, PunkOff, TheFlamingKoosh, RogueFactor, Jonesie

it's probably just a dye aluminum, an older version of the ultralight, and in one piece

the ultralight is not any better than the alumiums, its just two pieces of aluminum screwed together int he middle, if anything, the DYE Alum. is better because it is machined as one piece
    Proud Member Of The AO Cesspool Since 08-24-2002

Dye Aluminum

and

Dye Ultralite

Hope that helps.

-Ron

Lightbulb ive got one

i have a dye ultralite i bought two years ago. it says DYE ultralite on it unlike the newer ones that just say DYE. however if i interpreted you correctly mine has the "bulge" at the tip.

if it doesnt say DYE anywhere on the barrel that sounds really fishy and i would contact the seller. and if you dont know how to contact the seller then no offense but thats just poor planning. its possible it could be a really old model but i doubt it if it doesnt say DYE on it. then again if it works well then what the hell. you can be proud of owning a no name barrel

Mmmmhmmm

Allright. Thanx for the posts... didnt expect that many.
    I am afraid the pictures didnt help much. I know how the new Ultralite looks like and mine does not look like the old one either.
    I attached a picture of the old dye. Mine does not have the (poorly) orange-encircled features. Namely the dye-logo (mine has no logo at all) nor the "bulge" at the back.
    The ventings or the "bulge" at the front are exactly the same as a dye.

I hope you all get by now what I mean by this bulge-thing... just the broad part on the outside of the barrel. (Just marketing I guess or does it do anything useful?)

Oh, and I already contacted the seller... he sais he also bought it under the "dye-ultralite"-name and is as clueless as I am now...

thnx

Weird... might be a ripoff barrel haha!

Well, if you ever get the chance to, post a few pics up here and we'll take a look.

-Ron

Wow thank you... now that is what I call a nice response...
    Be sure that you remind me who you are when I hit you on the field with my rip-off-barrel.

I'll try to make some pictures as soon as I can...

Don't know if this helps or not, but about 8 years ago I bought a DYE barrel. It did't have "DYE" stamped anywhere on it, and it didn't have those things you circled in orange either. It was all black aluminum, and it had typical DYE porting at the front.

If I read your description right, you might just have an older style.

...mmkay

Now that sounds promising....
    (well, mine is completely aluminium and it has the dye-front)... does yours at least shoot well?
    what paint do you reccomend?

Thnx

mine is completely aluminium and it has the dye-front
    That sounds like mine. I sold it a few years ago....to a German guy....just kidding. It shot ok, not great, but ok. I think I used Marbs in it, but it was a while ago. Sorry.

:)

sharp sharp oak... thnx

at one time, dye only painted their logo onto the barrels, that has probably worn off over time, and the milling on the back was not used on the automag DYE Aluminums because it would usually not fit inside the minimag bodies

but you have a DYE Precision Barrel, and it's a damn good one too... and light

:)

now that is a post that finally sounds promising.
    are you sure that dye produced those old-style barrels?
    Is there any picture-evidence you can find for me to confirm?

thanx

well

Well. I just made a little CAD-model of my barrel (with "solid edge" if anyone needs to know).
    It is quite accurate and includes everything there is (the opening for the balls to fall in is on the other side) except for the grooves for the nubbin and the milings for the automag to lock in.

any suggestions to what this barrel is?

Smile

I wasn't messing with you. I really had a Dye barrel like that. I did sell it, just not to a german. :o I'm positive it was a DYE. It even came with a sticker kit. That sounds like what you've got.

allright

allright.

Yup! DYE Aluminum for mags

any good

is it any good?

just as good as the DYE ultralight if not better

its one piece, so for sure, it wont have tool drift where the two halves would go together on an ultralight, the the older style and for mags w/o the pretty milling and a worn off painted-on DYE logo

i've used my friends alum. before, light, accurate, and quiet

paint

what paint do you recommend? I don't have a Lvl10 (yet) and it's bloody cold outside roundabout the freezing point and I don't want to spend a fortune on paint.....

assuming they havent changed the bore size when they changed the design it should be 0.690-0.692. so i would try powerball or rp premiums. if you want to follow up just search for paintball bore sizes on any search engine and you will get tons of results.

edit: i searched for you cause didnt have anything else to do why dont you go with team colors or diablo dusk/inferno. powerball and the rp premiums should still work well tho.

thanks dude

thanx a bundle dude...
    that all sounds like high-priced paint.
    anything from Zap that does it?
    I play this oh so wonderful game only for recreational purposes...no turneys so far

for cold play, get some of the PMI Polar Ice paintballs

they fit the barrel good, and rarely break in cold weather

they have them for $55 a case at pbgear.com

im pretty sure i saw some zap balls that would fit pretty nicely on some charts online. they even have some brass eagle balls that would fit well. just type paintball bore size into google and you got multiple comprehensive lists there. and yea sorry i dont know what paint should cost nowadays cause the past 6 cases of paint ive bought was on a sale or a give away hehe in fact ive won 2 free cases of paint and im still using one of the $39.99 cases of blaze i got on sale. i guess the deals just kinda fall on me

mmmkay.
    the thing is that I live in good ol' germany and there is limited availability regarding most paintballproducts. You can get everything... but mostly via the internet or/and for grotesque prices. Well, and I can get Zap balls if they are not too special... like winterpaint or whatever... guess I just have to buy a Lvl10 kit and enjoy brittle paint during the icy months...

sad thing, I know....

thanx anyways...