Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Frame Package Contest Q&A's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    shartley Guest

Exclamation Frame Package Contest Q&A's

This is the Thread for Questions and Answers.

Thanks.

(((( If you have not already been to the OFFICIAL RULES THREAD please do so before reading this thread or asking any questions! Thanks!)))
    ------------------
    “The richest man is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.”

[This message has been edited by shartley (edited 08-16-2001).]

What style grips will the people have a choice of? Also, what colors will it be available in. Thanks Shartley for the help.

shartley Guest

Peanut:
    No problem. You were by far NOT the only one I helped. Just glad you all understood what I wrote. Just doing my part.

As for the grips and stuff... I will leave that for Tom to answer.

------------------
    “The richest man is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.”

[This message has been edited by shartley (edited 08-13-2001).]

Ok. I hope Tom sees this thread soon so i can get my questions answered. Ive got the day off today and plan on working on this all day. Oh, and btw, I took your advice to look at packages around the house lol

Strange question, but should we leave room for a barcode, and if so, where should we leave it?

(Just so you know, I put one on my current design, on the back panel.) Just don't scan the barcode when you see it. It's off of a Discwasher Record Cleaner package.

Oh, and I may be blind (Lord knows I've been accused of it many times) but I never saw the "designated e-mail address" that was referred to in the Official Rules post.

krafty

------------------
    Purple Minimag
    with some stuff attached to it

[This message has been edited by krafty (edited 08-13-2001).]

Arrow

Did I miss the email address for submission, or has it not been posted yet?

shartley Guest

krafty:
    VERY good question. I like seeing people think!

I would advise putting a blank white barcode box on the BACK panel (as you have done), but put the text BAR CODE and not a sample one. That way if they need one, great, if not, it is not a problem. Typically this would work best at the lower right or left on the back panel.

Also, the suggestion about adding the two types of triggers the frame comes with (on the Rules Post), people may want to add that on the SIDE panel as well, just a bit smaller.

Thanks. It looks like this is going to shape up pretty good.

------------------

shartley Guest

Exclamation

E-Mail address will be announced. Tom has to get one set up special for this.

Thanks.... Now going back to add that to the other post. LOL

------------------

Ok I am a bit confused. Will the final design be PRINTED in 300dpi or 72dpi. I dont know if its my printer but when i print in 72dpi some parts are blurry even though its huge text. Let me know Shartley. O and you have "Off Topic" email. Thanks again.

shartley Guest

The final printing will be done at a minimum of 300 DPI. The reason 72 DPI graphics look like crap when printed is that most printers START printing at 300, and go up from there.

So design all work AT 300 DPI. Tom's Web Staff will then take all those graphics and reduce them for Web Use. So.. don't worry about the 72 DPI issue.

If you take a logo from the AGD Main site (http://www.airgun.com) make sure you take the BIGGEST one you can, then make that into a 300 DPI image, do some sharpening, and it should be fine for use on such a small package.

Hope this helps.. It is hard giving hints without teaching it.

------------------

shartley Guest

In case anyone else missed this:
    3) You agree that you are the creator of the design and did not use any part of it without permission. Copyright enforcement will be strictly adhered to. You are free to use any AGD Graphic or Picture, as well as Logo, in your design.
    (Sqweezer, could you go back and delete your post from the RULES Thread. Thanks. )

------------------

Can we please have the dimensions of the piece in Inches? Id prefer to create in Illustrator which allows scalable designs...

------------------
    Webmaster - AutoMags.Org
    webmaster@automags.org
    ----------------------
    "Good...bad...I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of Darkness

What are the 2 different triggers available, if I was to make a check box I need to know the names of them.

------------------
    That's gonna leave a mark!

The grips will be Dye black grips

Yes put a bar code on it or a space for a bar code

The pixels I gave you were based on 300 dots per inch, to get the actual size divide the pixel sizes by 300.

AGD

shartley Guest

The front panel = 1350 pixels wide by 750 tall. (4.5 inches X 2.5 inches)
    The side panel = 1350 pixels wide by 450 tall. (4.5 inches X 1.5 inches)
    Back panel = 1350 pixels wide by 1800 tall (4.5 inches X 6 inches)

Overall Design will be 4.5 inches wide X 10 inches tall.

Also been added to the RULES POST.

About the types of triggers.. I think it is Double and Blade. But I would not "fix" anything until Tom verifies this.

------------------

Just my attempt to save my self some long upload times cause of my 28.8. Do the people at AGD have photoshop? If so what version, and could I send in an action instead of the full picture, I'd reatehr send a 1-2k file rather than a 2.9mb file.

If not I guess I can wait around for about twenty minutes or so.

shartley Guest

Exclamation

Just my thought... I think if we start allowing special things for people, it will get WAY out of hand, real quick.

Please send all files as stated in the OFFICIAL RULES. Each of you may be sending one, to several files to AGD.. but THEY will have to deal with ALL of yours. Lines have to be drawn (no pun intended) at some point.

I hope you understand. Thanks.

------------------

Why not have the image SUBMITTED in 72 dpi - the one I did was only 200k or so...

Then you could have the winner ftp the winning image that will probably be 10mb or more for a good tif.

------------------
    Webmaster - AutoMags.Org
    webmaster@automags.org
    ----------------------
    "Good...bad...I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of Darkness

shartley Guest

Webby,
    Tom and I had a talk about that last night, and we went over all the possibilities.

For reasons that I will not get into, Tom decided to make it as simple as possible for people. That is why we went with a single 300 DPI graphic. I am sure you can put 2 and 2 together on this issue.

This contest was not intended for professionals, and thus, many things have to be taken into account.

------------------

Some advice for you guys, If you are getting a free copy of photoshop or something, dont get caught plz. Thats all we need is someone to get caught and sued because of a contest. Just my 2 cents, i know its not a question shartley but id figure id post it up anyway.

shartley Guest

Lightbulb

Peanut :
    Thank you for your concern. But there is NO way to know what software a person used to make a graphic simply by looking at it. And most definitely not after it is printed.

I think "Don't ask. Don't tell." Would be a good answer to that subject. I will not get into the legalities of "Pirated" Software.

Thanks.

------------------

Hey shartley,

Any chance of you getting Tom to post a pic of the makeshift packaging he put together all laid-out on a table? It might help people visualize how the 1 image with 3 panels should be formatted. (The front panel will be upside-down compared to the side and back panels when it's laid out flat.)

Just a thought. Carry on.

krafty
    and GREAT job so far, by the way, on this whole contest thingy. You're to be commended!

shartley Guest

Thumbs up

krafty:
    Thank you for the suggestion and comments.

About the laid out part.

What I have suggested to a bunch of you, is to simply take a piece of paper and fold it like the packaging will be folded.

Then on the front mark FRONT with an arrow pointing to the top...

then on the side (which will actually be the top) mark SIDE and an arrow pointing to the top..

and finally for the back, mark BACK with the appropriate arrow.

I think this should be easy enough for everyone to do themselves. No need to put up a picture.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

------------------

i give up...i'm no good w/ comp drawings...so i'm not even gonna try this one.................hey the q&a's were good quality advice...thnx

Eric

------------------
    "Blood is foul, The Flesh dross. My Ascendance thirsts for life itself"

Riotz Guest

shartley,

I don't like the following condition:

All entries become the property of AGD upon submission.
    If AGD doesn't use a design I come up with, I think I should still have rights to it in case I wanted to use it or aspects of it in any future designs I may produce. As someone who makes his living in design and graphics, signing away unused intellectual property is bad business. I don't mind giving up rights to an implemented design, but having my work shelved and then being made inaccessable to me in the future seems unnecessary.

------------------
    Regards,
    Jeffrey Bouquio Jr.

This is a question more for Tom than for anyone else.

I was kinda hoping we could get a good clear decent res picture of the grip with the Dye's on it. All the pics like that you have up here so far are with the orignal cruppy grips, not the Dye wrap arounds.

It would make this a little easier :-)

------------------
    CamoSplashed MiniMag
    S/N MM12913
    Clear AGD Warp Feed
    14" SP AA

Lots of stuff coming...

Sharley,
    I know the frame comes with Dye sticky grips, and it would be appropriate to put the dye logo somewhere on the package. So, does AGD have permission to do that. Also, in accordance with your rules, if they do have permission, would it break your rules to put it on the design because we did not create the logo?

Riotz, as shartley said earlier the rules cant be bent. If you dont like them then dont enter the contest. Simple question, Simple solution.

Originally posted by Thordic:
    This is a question more for Tom than for anyone else.

I was kinda hoping we could get a good clear decent res picture of the grip with the Dye's on it. All the pics like that you have up here so far are with the orignal cruppy grips, not the Dye wrap arounds.

It would make this a little easier :-)

I agree with Thordic. We need some good quality images of the final product to work with. A 72 dpi image will never be as good as a 300 dpi image. Even if you increase the res and sharpen the image. Will it be possible to get these images for us to play with. If you want great quality entries, you need to provide us with great quality images.

-Meric-

shartley Guest

Riotz:
    Good points. But it is common practice when submitting ANY work to companies, even pictures, that by doing so, you are giving up all rights to the subject matter.

And I think you are missing the point of the contest, it is not intended for Professionals. We do not exclude Professionals, but I would think that they would exclude themselves out of good form. But that is a personal decision.

As was stated, the rules are the rules. And you are free to not enter the contest. I personally would not have a problem with that. But I will NOT change the rules on that point. Sorry.

SuperG:
    (Added later: Tom does not want them, and for the same reasons as my ones here.) I would advise against it, since this is NOT a DYE product, but an AGD one. And as for being against the rules because you did not create the logo... actually the rules cover that.. it is alright.

As for the issue about quality images..
    Tom can only answer that one. I personally did not have a problem with what I saw online. But I am not everyone. I did test runs here, and it printed fine. Again, Tom will have to make that decision.

------------------

[This message has been edited by shartley (edited 08-16-2001).]