Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Frame Package Contest Q&A's

OK, I've actually got a semi-coherent question: My entry was submitted last week when the rules stated something to the effect of "standard formats (.jpg .tiff etc.)". I submitted a .psd file, considering it a standard format, especially since Tom stated that they had Photoshop.

Now, I see the rule has been changed to ONLY .JPG and .TIFF files...

Should I resubmit my entry as a .JPG? I just don't want to risk being DQ'd, since I did use 3 hours of my valuable time to work on my entry.

krafty

shartley Guest

automagseeker:
    Contest Dates: 13AUG01 – 24AUG01
    Generally when given a date with no time, it means 12 midnight the evening of the final day. We are dealing with various time zones (world wide on this one), so that will be taken into consideration. You were a day off on your guess. Friday midnight, not Thursday.

krafty:
    Taken from a few posts up...
    StevoC:
    For the sake of continuity, yes, please resubmit it in JPG or TIFF format.

For clarification... As with other rules that changed mid-way in the contest, those following the rules at the time they WERE rules are NOT disqualified. I am only asking for the re-submission to make Tom's job easier.

Thanks.
    I hope this helps. And puts your mind at ease.

Thanks

------------------
    “The richest man is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.”

Thans once again shartley, I will take that extra time , I live in easternt time, I live in Virginia, so can I turn mine in on Friday of my time? just double checkin Thanks

shartley Guest

No problem. Yes, Friday midnight your time.

And good luck!

------------------
    “The richest man is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.”

Thanks

Just got mine sent in today. Everyone vote for mine, cuz I want a RT Pro, Warp, and Intelliframe! Hehe. With a lil help from my buddy Jared I finally figured out how to change it to 300 dpi, and get it looking pretty good for a .jpg. Too bad it wasnt a .gif...

ENDO!

------------------
    GO HERE!: http://wsnonline.8k.com

The Witherspoon News! Sign the guestbook! It better than sunglasses, and twice as fragrent!

lol I wouldn't wanna use gif for something like this.

Wink

Wait..... what? Read the rules? What rules? I'm confused... There are rules? Where are the rules?

Just messin' with ya. Yes, I'm that bored.

krafty

A .gif would look clearer. Altho I see why we are using .jpg, because most email accounts dont let u send files over about a meg and a quarter, and .gifs are big. But it would just look a little nicer.

ENDO!

------------------

The Witherspoon News! Sign the guestbook! It better than sunglasses, and twice as fragrent!

shartley Guest

Lightbulb

Please do not discuss this type of thing on this thread.. thank you.

There were reasons for what was done. And it was NOT really an issue of accepting what would be the optimal file format for this type of use. Also it looks as if some people need to do some basic research into Graphic File formats and why and what they are used for. Don't confuse Web use for Print use.

Thank you.

------------------

From shartley:

Okay, I am now making a command decision.
    I think Tom is very busy getting ready for an event. I have e-mailed him personally about this issue, and he has not even answered ME... so I will make the determination.

NO. You will NOT receive official notification that your entries were received.

Judging from the amounts already received, and that I don't think anyone received notification aside from when they sent entries that were not correct, I will say that no one will receive a conformation e-mail.

I think this puts an end to that question, unless Tom gets online and says differently. He chose me to run the contest, so there you have it.

I hope this helps.

shartley

12. Post

hey shartly,

hey, when you guys first started this contest I started right away, useing the info that u gave us, now I look at FRAME PACKAGE RULES , and it seems ever time I get on its changed. At one point you guys said 72dpi so I made my design 72, but i guess it doesnt matter now, so i have to start my whole thing over............ , o well, its not your fault so I dont blame u

pot35tom

shartley Guest

Cool

No problem.

I am sure you also read my post following that one (for those of you wanting to see all this, it is on the 9th and 10th posts in this thread).

I am glad this is cleared up.

------------------

shartley Guest

UP! Last day!

Good luck everyone!

------------------

Due to a hard drive crash yesterday, my submission is gone with the wind, which sucks, but good luck to everyone who did submit a design, good luck. You might need it against Jeff (Riotz)'s design.. hehe.

------------------
    CamoSplashed MiniMag
    S/N MM12913
    Clear AGD Warp Feed
    14" SP AA

Lots of stuff coming...

Shartley, just bringing your long lost thread up the top.

Im out for the night. Good luck to all who entered.

shartley Guest

Thank you for not blaming me. But there is no one to blame here... well maybe there is.

At one point you guys said 72dpi so I made my design 72
    This is simply not true. Neither Tom nor myself EVER said that the design should be done at 72 DPI. It has ALWAYS been said to "design" it AT 300 DPI minimum.

And as for every time you look it changes....

There has only been a few changes to the rules, and they involved submission e-mail address, file types that will be accepted, the fact that you can send multiple entries in a ZIP file, and what needs to be sent WITH your entry.

All other additions were clarifications and NOT changes. But never has the 300 DPI requirement been anything other than that. Sorry, I think you must have confused what someone else stated. I would appreciate it if you could show me where either Tom or myself have said to design it at 72 DPI.

What WAS said (by individuals NOT running the contest) is that the images should be submitted as a 72 DPI image since that is what it will have to be reduced to for Web Viewing anyway. This was a good idea, but would lead to confusions as to what it should be designed as.... just like what happened with your case. So Tom made the decision to not even go that route, and keep everything that the contestants do, at 300.

I stated in NO uncertain terms that the image WILL be designed at 300 DPI, and submitted as a 300 DPI image.

Thank you.

------------------

18. Post

okay, i found where i got confused, sry for your inconvenence.

[b]Ok I am a bit confused. Will the final design be PRINTED in 300dpi or 72dpi. I dont know if its my printer but when i print in 72dpi some parts are blurry even though its huge text. Let me know Shartley. O and you have "Off Topic" email. Thanks again. [b]

19. Post

hey, when will u say who won???

shartley Guest

Wink

Hey, after everyone votes!

The pictures have to be gathered, processed, assigned numbers, put in a gallery, THEN voted on, and finally the votes counted.

Please be patient. Tom will let you all know when the Gallery is ready. It takes time, and not just a day.... LOL

Thanks.

------------------

woohoo im the 200th reply in this topic!

an unneeded up!

I hope that it is ok that I ask one more question about the contest. I was wondering if the winner will be able to to ask for the type of body for the RT Pro that they want and also what color Warp they want. If this has already been asked I did not find it. Thanks.

shartley Guest

Cool

Being that the contest is still going on, sure.. asking is not a problem.

The exact details you are asking about will be answered to the winner. No need in worrying about things that may not even apply. But judging from the last contest, yes, the winner does get choices for certain things.

I hope you understand my meaning. It is like putting the cart in front of the horse, and really has no bearing on the contest in general.

------------------

[This message has been edited by shartley (edited 08-27-2001).]

thanks, that is all I wanted to know. Now I just cross my fingers and pray .

25. Post

when can I send the design again?
    thx again

pot35tom@hotmail.com

shartley Guest

Send it NOW.

Thank you.

------------------

shartley Guest

up

shartley Guest

Angry

NOTE: There is NO Timeline update!

This is because there was NEVER a timeline for the second phase of the Contest to begin with.

I have always stated this: When Tom gets the Gallery ready, you will all be notified, and given Voting instructions. YOU will be NOTIFIED! One more time.. YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED. So please do not ask again.

And the ONLY people who can answer your questions about the contest is Tom or Myself.

Now, I will address some issues that I feel are a slap in the face and need correcting....

Posted by PsychoMag:
    The nimbleminded shartley...so we meet...the problem is that with the chaos thanks to oour friend woody, the forum will be shut down on monday...I was curious as to if this thing will be underway soon, or wait til next year...I mean, due to technical difficulties, it has already been postponed once...whats next?

As far as Webby goes...without him u have no site to reside on...he is who needs to work on it, he is the one who will be shutting the forum down...he will bring it back up when it is ready...of course, no offense to u, but I did not see a revised timeline due to ALL the problems encountered. Next time I will add Shartley...

I understand that it could be up as soon as tuesday...but that is not reassuring with the last few days' incidents, and until this contest is over, I will not order my frame because I am not paying $135 for it.

with all due respect...
    First off, Tom ASKED me to run this contest for him, if you have a problem with that, take it up with TOM! I did not insult Webby by saying he can't answer any questions... because HE CAN'T. He is Webmaster for this site, yes, but is NOT running the contest.

Webby also does not provide ME a place to RESIDE.. it is TOM'S site, not Webby's. This also is not an insult to Webby, since he knows this already... YOU just don't seem to get it.

Tom is the BOSS, and Webby and I are "working" FOR Tom, not the other way around. And both Webby and I have different "jobs".. he "masters" the site, and I am running the contest.

And like I stated at the beginning of this post, there was no "revision" of the second phase timeline because there was NO NEED TO.

What you posted was a direct insult. And I will NOT take it. "with all due respect..."? What respect was shown? You first of all do not post in the correct Thread.. then ask the WRONG person... then when I point it out, you insult ME? I didn't point it out to be an jerk. I pointed it out because it was the TRUTH.

So much for expecting just a bit of consideration... I don't even expect thanks, but not being insulted would be nice.

------------------

Riotz Guest

Wink

I have always stated this: When Tom gets the Gallery ready, you will all be notified, and given Voting instructions. YOU will be NOTIFIED! One more time.. YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED. So please do not ask again.
    When will we be notified?

haha, I'm just joking. Had to do it. =]

------------------
    Regards,
    Jeffrey Bouquio Jr.

Once again, thanx Shartley. I kno this prolly wasnt worth the warpfeed by trying to be our oncall question answering machiene for a few weeks. Thanx again man. You did a great job. Hopefully the questions can stop now because there really isnt any need for anymore unless im overlooking something. Keep up the good work.

ENDO!

------------------